Author Topic: The Official UFC Thread  (Read 106106 times)

nrico2006

• View Profile
Re: The Official UFC Thread
« Reply #1425 on: June 10, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »
UFC is just like boxing, where it has turned into a slimming contest before fights with fighters having significant weight advantages over opponents come fight night. Needs to be a culture change whereby the weight classes actually mean something and contests are fair. Weigh-ins should be done on the day of tge fight as close to fight time as possible

No, they shouldn't. Unless you actively want fighters to suffer more brain damage.

By fighting someone their own weight? How do you work that out?

Because when fighters cut weight in the final few days to weigh in, they do so by dehydrating themselves, which leaves them particularly susceptible to brain damage as the protective layer around the brain is depleted. That's how fighters like Canelo put on so much weight between weigh in and fight time - they're completely dried out and then sink gallons of water for 24 hours.

The UFC specifically moved its weigh ins to the morning to allow fighters more time to rehydrate ahead of the fight, especially after rehydration via IV was banned.
Thats what i meant by cultural change, where cutting and all that goes with it is no longer the norm.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Smokin Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: June 10, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
Whittaker v Romero was some tear up.

The Gs Man

• View Profile
    • Captain Kennedy
« Reply #1427 on: June 11, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
Great scrap, although I thought Romero should have got the decision.

Fair play to Whittaker though, fighting as he did with a broken hand.
Phosporescent!

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »
Whittaker is hard as nails but he didn't deserve that decision. Pretty clear he won three runs 10-9 with Romero winning the other two, at least one of which was a clear 10-8.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"