Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Tony on June 25, 2018, 02:48:00 PM
Quote from: South Laois man on June 25, 2018, 12:08:16 PM
The easiest option would be 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 in each group going on to play for Sam and the bottom 2 in eachieving group playing in a secondary competion with all semi finals and finals in Croke Park. This system still gives everyone a shot at Sam with it not being tiered from the start.
I like this option above by south laois man. Seems fair. 3 games per team per group, world cup style with top 2 from each group getting to last 16. Bottom 2 still can claim a decent title while still aiming for Sam at start of competition. Not bad at all.

1 team from each league picked at random in each group. EG

Group 1
Kerry
Meath
Armagh
Carlow

Group 2
Monaghan
Tipperary
Derry
Laois

etc.

I really like the sound of that - it's a very fair system is it not - and exiting. Good for the top teams and good for weaker teams. Also will give more bite to the league because your seeding is based on your league status so promotion will be even more sought after.

Get rid of the league, scrap the provincial championships, scrap replays, run the 4-team championship qualifier system, and stop playing lip service to the clubs. Each county would have a minimum of 6 games assuming the championship is run off in group stages also. Run it from March to June (4 month inter-county season). Rest of the summer for the clubs.

blueandwhite1

P.S. I felt sorry for Arlene Foster and embarrassed for the GAA yesterday having to watch such a one-sided and poor advertisement for the game yesterday in Clones.

Tony

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2018, 05:12:42 PM
Realistically, only Kerry and Dublin can win an All Ireland anymore. The game is dead.
I don't agree with that. Donegal and Mayo are not far off, neither are Tyrone or Monaghan on their day. Or Galway for that matter, they look very good. Don't forget, only about 3 or 4 teams can realistically win any league in Europe in any given year (in soccer), doesn't mean it's dead. In fairness, the super 8's this year with or without Laois will be very exciting. Seeing Galway and Donegal this year, I really don't think they'll be far off. Donegal will give Dublin a very good game in a few weeks, no doubt about it.

BallyroanAbu

Super 8's will be a massive success that may not be a good thing for the weaker counties

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on June 25, 2018, 05:47:05 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2018, 05:12:42 PM
Realistically, only Kerry and Dublin can win an All Ireland anymore. The game is dead.
I don't agree with that. Donegal and Mayo are not far off, neither are Tyrone or Monaghan on their day. Or Galway for that matter, they look very good. Don't forget, only about 3 or 4 teams can realistically win any league in Europe in any given year (in soccer), doesn't mean it's dead. In fairness, the super 8's this year with or without Laois will be very exciting. Seeing Galway and Donegal this year, I really don't think they'll be far off. Donegal will give Dublin a very good game in a few weeks, no doubt about it.
If Mayo were going to win it's theyd have won it by now
Tyrone aren't good enough
Monaghan aren't good enough
Donegal show promise
Galway show promise

Dublin and Kerry are going to carve this shit up for decades, even more than they have up to now.

The rest of us are left with our mickeys in our hands while they make the sweet sweet love.

Chrimtain

Are the draws for the qualifiers rigged? I have a hunch that they maybe. One thing is for sure, in order to provide them with a handy route into the Super 8s, Laois will be drawn to play Mayo (if they beat Kildare) or Tyrone. Laois will not be drawn to play the winners of Clare v Armagh. If we get Mayo, Laois will have to travel to Roscommon. If its Tyrone, they'll probably make us travel to Clones. I'll never forget the time they made us travel to the neutral ground of Carrick on Shannon for a match with Donegal in the last round of the qualifiers a number of years ago.

Butch Cassidy

Delighted Kildare have taken a stand against the GAA. We should have done similar when our game was moved to Nowlan Park. GAA on a slippery slope the last few years driven by greed. Dubs playing 2 super 8 games in Croker is another joke.

Chrimtain

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on June 25, 2018, 08:54:41 PM
Delighted Kildare have taken a stand against the GAA. We should have done similar when our game was moved to Nowlan Park. GAA on a slippery slope the last few years driven by greed. Dubs playing 2 super 8 games in Croker is another joke.

Of course our County Board didn't have the balls to do as Kildare have done.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Don youre some crack. Im giving up on the gaa altogether and taking up line dancing.

1. Stop giving the dubs money.. THEY DONT NEED IT!!
2. Tiered championship
3. Shout out to Kildare

redsetanta

Kildare v Mayo will be the big story of the summer. Interesting to see how it pans out.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on June 25, 2018, 09:50:13 PM
Don youre some crack. Im giving up on the gaa altogether and taking up line dancing.

1. Stop giving the dubs money.. THEY DONT NEED IT!!
2. Tiered championship
3. Shout out to Kildare
Line dancing is dead. Pole Dancing is where its at.

SCFC

This Kildare game will go ahead in Croker or not at all.
Ultimately Croker Park have Kildare GAA over a barrel with the whole St Conleths proposed redevelopment. Not to mention the "bailout" a few years ago.

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on June 26, 2018, 09:34:19 AM
This Kildare game will go ahead in Croker or not at all.
Ultimately Croker Park have Kildare GAA over a barrel with the whole St Conleths proposed redevelopment. Not to mention the "bailout" a few years ago.
Precisely. Kildare may get a few bob, but they should wind their f**king necks in and not be biting the hand that feeds.

High Fielder

That's what they like to think SCFC. They are not a private entity. They can't behave like that. f**k them anyway. They've fucked us over in the past and I was embarrassed by our weakness in the face of it. Never any talk of playing a Leinster final in Portlaoise. For once I stand in solidarity with our Flourbag neighbours

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on June 26, 2018, 10:08:36 AM
That's what they like to think SCFC. They are not a private entity. They can't behave like that. f**k them anyway. They've fucked us over in the past and I was embarrassed by our weakness in the face of it. Never any talk of playing a Leinster final in Portlaoise. For once I stand in solidarity with our Flourbag neighbours
Not the same. We had a stadium capable of hosting the game. Kildare have a shithole carpark. We put the time and effort into keeping OMP up to standard, Kildare pissed it against a wall in Armagh.