Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Best of luck to all involved today, looking forward to the trip up. Win lose or draw, it's been a positive year for us and we're moving in the right direction. Of course it'd be nice to continue on for a bit longer on this fine run we're having. If we play to our potential, i think it'll be our day today. Laois abu!

BallyroanAbu

Unfortunately Tony, losing will mess our year up that's just life.  It may not be fair but that's the way it is.

Joeythelips

Best of luck to our footballers today, after a shit storm over the last few seasons with consecutive relegations and poor management, they seem to have a man in charge who can get the best out of them. There is no doubt in my mind that we have the better players so if we match them for work rate and intensity for the 70 minutes we can book a place in the Leinster Final. After the hiding Kildare gave us last year I did not think I would be saying words like "book a place in the Leinster Final" regarding Laois for a long time. Days like this do not come around often as we know so give it everything from the start lads.

BallyroanAbu

P>S UP Laois, I really think we will hammer them today so defeat is not in my head

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 10, 2018, 10:54:28 AM
P>S UP Laois, I really think we will hammer them today so defeat is not in my head
We're going to do it

Joeythelips

Quote from: Don Draper on June 10, 2018, 01:36:59 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 10, 2018, 10:54:28 AM
We're going to do it

:D sounds like it so far, the brother text me to say it's scutter but it's what was expected given Carlow's system. Carlow on top at the minute but Laois still just ahead. On the hot day our bench should edge it for us.

Joeythelips

No matter who we have beaten along the way or how the Carlow game was as a spectacle, it is great to be able to say Laois are back in a Leinster final. Obviously it's hard to see them given the Dubs a decent game but who knows. Well done to all involved on what has been a great year so far

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 09, 2018, 10:06:37 PM
It will be a shocking game which Laois win if we don't bomb the ball down the throat of their midfielder Murphy.  He went to town on us the last day, Broderick missed everything but we also pulled up when going handy.

Nail on the head - it was a dire game of football. Apart from winning there was little enjoyment and few highlights but we got the win  :)

Feet will be firmly on the ground for the final. I hope Stephen Attride is ok - that was a very courageous interception to avert danger.

Don Draper

Never in doubt. Respect them but no fear. We don't lose to Carlow.

Thoughts with Stephen, and a massive word for Evan, a man among men.

High Fielder

Carlow were awful and didn't want to play. Any time they ventured forward we quickly responded. They let their large support down quite badly because they deserved a better attempt than that. Nullifying Sean Murphy pretty much cancelled them out although our own tackling is still nowhere near good enough. We look quite desperate when run at or drawn and the ball goes in behind. It's still a free pass to our half back line and sometimes beyond.

The above said it's been a progressive year and Sugrue is showing that he knows how to play the game in front of him. Very proud and grateful for the effort

Unison

Well done to John Sugrue and the team today. Its hard to believe that we are just one win nad a lucky draw away from Super 8s. In he meantime, can we keep the score in the Leinster final respectable?

portlaoisekid

Quote from: High Fielder on June 10, 2018, 07:29:43 PM
Carlow were awful and didn't want to play. Any time they ventured forward we quickly responded. They let their large support down quite badly because they deserved a better attempt than that. Nullifying Sean Murphy pretty much cancelled them out although our own tackling is still nowhere near good enough. We look quite desperate when run at or drawn and the ball goes in behind. It's still a free pass to our half back line and sometimes beyond.

The above said it's been a progressive year and Sugrue is showing that he knows how to play the game in front of him. Very proud and grateful for the effort
carlow were a joke today in terms of the way they play football, O'Brien and Poacher the tactical geniuses my ass, and as for their idiot supporters cheering on that crap I have no sympathy for them.

Jd

So happy to have been there . Pride well restored in the jersey. Just a word about some of the so called Carlow support . They were itching to argue everything .if a Lapis lad fouled they were screaming for cards and if I even looked sideways they were in my ear . Delighted we bet them cos they are a cynical team

Joeythelips

Quote from: Unison on June 10, 2018, 08:46:59 PM
Well done to John Sugrue and the team today. Its hard to believe that we are just one win nad a lucky draw away from Super 8s. In he meantime, can we keep the score in the Leinster final respectable?

Whats your idea of respectable? the spread would be 15 points or so with bookmakers. Would that be respectable? The last time they met in Croke Park they lost by 11 Could Laois beat that next day out? possibly, could Dublin go to town on Laois and beat them as many as they like, also possible.
It seem Laois are decent going forward but not the best defensively so hopefully they will push up on the Dubs and play to their strengths. But no matter what way you look at it, it seems hard to see Laois get a 10 point defeat or less, let alone win the game. But fortunately I am not the Laois manager, Im sure Sugrue and the players will be ready on the day. Hopefully they will give a good account of themselves given that there is no real pressure on them. Seeing as, if they do lose, Laois go into the qualifiers where a win gets them into the Super 8s so a humiliating defeat might be mentally hard to recover from.