Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

To be honest, i'm glad it's not on TV because it will mean a large crowd from Carlow & Laois show up on the day. It'll make for a great atmosphere. Sometimes when it's on TV, it means it's tempting to just stay at home and watch it on the box. I know I've fallen into that catagory at times in the past. I expect the largest Laois crowd in years to show up for this one - of course nothing like the Micko era yet - but maybe 3.5k supporters or so?

justinn

Laois: Graham Brody; Stephen Attride, Mark Timmons, Gareth Dillon; Trevor Collins, Colm Begley, Finbarr Crowley; John O'Loughlin, Kieran Lillis; Alan Farrell, Niall Donoher, Damien O'Connor; Ross Munnelly, Donie Kingston, Paul Kingston

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

portlaoisekid

It's a horrible style of football carlow play and for all the goodwill they receive in the media that will dry up quickly once people actually see them play . Fermangh are being crucified for playing the same style yet you don't see Gallagher on the the Sunday game riding his bicycle taking about how wonderful fermanagh are.

I think laois have enough to beat carlow, we just need to cop the hell on and play
with total confidence in ourselves. We have to trust we are better than them , which I believe we are. let them talk shite in the media and how great it is to have so many supporters in croke park etc while we actually turn up to play a game of football to win. Put down a marker from the first throw in and we will beat them. Laois by 4+.

Unison

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 09, 2018, 12:39:43 AM
How Carlow Play...

https://www.facebook.com/The42.ie/videos/1859864974075983/

When you see it like that it seems a pretty formidable system of defence, and you wonder will our main scoring threats, the two Kingstons in the full forward line, both be marked out of the game? You also wonder how will we cope with their speedy counter attacks? 

We have played hem twice already and beaten them. So, have they 'upped' their performance now that the championship has begun?

Their wins against Louth and Kildare were two impressive results, so its going to be interesting.

Lets get a good start, or at least, not a bad one!

Tony

I think they've a good system on tight pitches. I think they'll be found out though on the wide open spaces of croke park. It's a very limited system in my opinion. It relies on them getting ahead. If they go 5+ points down, the system is flawed. I think we've a more progressive, flexible system that suits us far better. Kildare played into their hands but i think if we keep cool heads, we can outclass them. Man for man we have the much more talented players with only a couple of exceptions. Also, we have quite a few men who can hit you from range. I don't think the blanket system will work well against us.

Joeythelips

Very harsh some of the talk on here about Carlow, we may be hearing a lot from Carlow at the minute but they have earned their bit of limelight after decades of near misses and hammerings. If Laois had beaten Kildare by 7 points we would be dancing in the streets. Its only 1 year ago Kildare wiped the floor with us. Carlows system may not be pretty, but like Fermanagh they set themselves up to give them the best chance of winning. To quote Philip Jordan in his RTE column https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0605/968327-philip-jordan-fermanagh/
QuoteIf Rory Gallagher had sent out his team to play old-fashioned 15-against-15 football they would have been wiped out.

Clare are a decent Division 2 side, they only just missed out on promotion this season, and Kerry put 32 points on them. Galway wiped the floor with Sligo. The same would have happened Fermanagh had they not taken the approach they did.
Do the people who criticise them really expect them to go out and just take a hammering?

As others have said here Laois have the better footballers and all being equal Laois should win by 4/5 points, but Carlow's system once they stick to it will make it very tough for us. But we should respect them and let them enjoy their time in the sun, its up to us to do the talking on the pitch where it counts if we want to end it.

The Boy Wonder

Well said - it's great to see the buzz in Carlow after all their years in the doldrums.
Anything that promotes the GAA for young people is positive.

C'mon Laois anyway !

Joeythelips

Kildare leading Derry by 6 points in the second half, of they go on to win and Armagh beat Westmeath the form will be franked in favour of Carlow. Wexford losing to Waterford should make us wary.

Don Draper

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 09, 2018, 04:15:59 PM
Kildare leading Derry by 6 points in the second half, of they go on to win and Armagh beat Westmeath the form will be franked in favour of Carlow. Wexford losing to Waterford should make us wary.
Relax mate, you'll do yourself an injury.

Joeythelips

Quote from: Don Draper on June 09, 2018, 05:23:34 PM

;D I'm grand. Just seeing the results and fearing the worse tomorrow.

Don Draper

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 09, 2018, 05:47:30 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 09, 2018, 05:23:34 PM

;D I'm grand. Just seeing the results and fearing the worse tomorrow.
Too many variables to draw a form line as you are trying to do.

BallyroanAbu

It will be a shocking game which Laois win if we don't bomb the ball down the throat of their midfielder Murphy.  He went to town on us the last day, Broderick missed everything but we also pulled up when going handy. 

County Man

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow.

Important to keep discipline. Carlow will have something up their slieves to test us in that regard.

We will likely be outnumbered 2 or 3 to one in terms of support with the Dubs sure to support Carlow when they arrive.

As mentioned by other folks we need a good start, keep them on the back foot.

With both Westmeath and Wexford bowing out of the qualifiers today and Kildare winning, it could be argued that Carlow have got to the semis in more impressive fashion.

We have had a great season so far undefeated with a much improved collective unit and a fine manager in Sugrue.

Big game tomorrow for Finbarr Crowley, did well against Westmeath and now his first big test in Croke Park. All the best to him, no doubt Colm Begley will provide leadership beside him.

We need to watch Sean Murphys runs and prevent him getting ball. Hopefully the defence will continue their fine form and cut down on frees for Broderick.

Lets do the business tomorrow and advance to a Leinster final. Laois Abu.