Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unison

A talking point for me was that Laois supporters seemed to outnumber opposition supporters, for once.

My men of the match would be Begley, Lillis and Paul Kingston.

I know it would be a huge step forward, but a Leinster final appearance would be a fantastic achievement. Is it out of the question?

High Fielder

Sugrue has brought commitment and honesty. We've waited years to see that. I'm not saying we're going to tear up trees, but we're improving and we're working hard. It makes the game look very simple when you have lads prepared to work for each other and get their hands dirty. Paul Kingston has kicked on a few levels on recent years, so man management is obviously a high priority too. Gareth Dillon was like a terrier in the tackle yesterday and was everything you'd want a corner back to be. What Kieran Lillis lacks in finesse he more than makes up for with guts and determination and you need that too. Just three players and three examples of Sugrue zoning in on personal traits and getting what he can from them. I couldn't ask for any more and I've seen enough to say we've at last found a coach we can believe in. Hopefully more lads will make themselves available and buy into what this man is trying to do. 

Andy06

Well done to the team and management on a great win.
Westmeath were getting the early scores but right from the early stages I thought we were having the majority of possession but just over doing it when it came to the final pass or shot. This could have easily led to being another one of those days but all credit to the players they stuck at it. As they game wore on they found the scores their overall play deserved.
All the players had their moments but a few I felt made a big difference:
Niall Donoher - him coming of the bench immediately brought an increase of pace to the game. He seemed to be hoovering all around the middle and kicked two great points to set us on our way. You would assume he would be starting the next day, although a super option off the bench.
O'Loughlin/Lillis - After the initial phase they two lads dominated midfield for me, Westmeath couldnt get anything going here at all and it stopped them mounting any sort of comeback.
Gareth Dillon - thought this chap was brilliant, one steal of possession near our goals in the second half when he was left one on one with the Westmeath attacker (Luke Loughlin I think) was absolute joy to behold. He looks a proper corner back who knows how to defend, something we havent had since Healy.
Finbarr Crowley - I thought he showed very well for his debut, especially being stuck with Kieran Martin. He always kept going and definately made that position his own for the next day.
Donie - didn't do a whole lot with some promising balls into him in the first half. However, when the game was potentially still in the melting pot in the second half he moved to midfield and won some great kick outs. Also some of his distribution from the half forward position (including a great pass which Darren Strong hit a bad wide) was very good.
Paul Kingston - Goals were fantasically taken, you can see the confidence brimming by the end

As I said all players and subs played their part though, what a bench we have now.
Word on Westmeath aswell, I thought they were really poor. No sort of fight at any point in the second half as we just passed or sprinted through them. Dont think we were too far away with our assumption that the camp is not a happy one.

Bonus territory now as far as I am concerned. Promotion and a possible win over Wexford and Westmeath was the aim. Players can just go out now with no expectation, give it a shot and see what happens. Id imagine Sugrue is the sort that cant wait for the challenge against what would be on paper a better team to see how we can outfox them

Jd

Was reading Tomàs O Shea in Indo yesterday and Kildare haven't won a match in something like last 11. If they beat Carlow I reckon they could be vulnerable. A huge step up for our lads but they're eager to step up by the looks of things. If Carlow win well we know that we have the ability to beat them once the attitude is right. Nice to be going to Croke Park in June no matter who we play though

Joeythelips

I may have jumped the gun a bit, Carlow leading by 5 points at half time. With their defensive approach it will be really hard for Kildare to reel that in. If it Carlow we face that would be some battle, I think Croker would suit Laois better if it was Carlow.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Joeythelips on May 27, 2018, 02:52:48 PM
I may have jumped the gun a bit, Carlow leading by 5 points at half time. With their defensive approach it will be really hard for Kildare to reel that in. If it Carlow we face that would be some battle, I think Croker would suit Laois better if it was Carlow.

likewise, never even contemplated Carlow and that's because I have seen them. 

Keyser Söze

Quote from: High Fielder on May 27, 2018, 10:51:32 AM
Sugrue has brought commitment and honesty. We've waited years to see that.

And in truth it is all any of us wanted.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Carlow will be very hard to beat in Croke Park. They know how we play and will be more than ready to play us. They will have huge desire to get to a leinster final so write them off at your peril.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Joeythelips

Quote from: Unison on May 27, 2018, 03:44:21 PM
Carlow won't fear us.  :o :o

Why should they fear us, I know we beat them in the Div 4 league final but its not like we have hammered them and after wiping the floor with Louth they beat a Div 1 side. The whole county will be buzzing and they will never have a better opportunity to reach a Leinster final, but that goes for Laois also.

Unison

I think I would have preferred to play a vulnerable Kildare team.

Unison

No. I think the losers of the provincial finals would have to beat one of the teams from the qualifiers to reach the super 8s.

At this point, it is no longer a question of are we good enough, as it would have been if we were to play Kildare. We are good enough to win the semi final, but the question now is can we halt the Carlow momentum. They will be thinking 'third time lucky'.

High Fielder

I love that none of us know what the f**k happens next. Absolute nose bleed territory