Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monument Road

Crettyard Gaels – Senior Football Championship – Crettyard with players from Spink

That should be Crettyard with Spink & Ballinakill players

BallyroanAbbey

Quote from: The Monument Road on January 20, 2017, 12:05:52 PM
Crettyard Gaels – Senior Football Championship – Crettyard with players from Spink

Spink caters for the football side of ballinakill and knock parish and ballinakill caters for the hurling so it is only players from spink club
Preferably you would like to see a link between clubs weather that be underage amalgamations or parish neighbours but sometimes the senior club wont allow this, Joesphs and Barrowhouse being a prime example, so if the oppurtunity comes up elsewhere to play at the top grade you cant exactly blame a junior club for taking it

Target Man

Quote from: The Monument Road on January 20, 2017, 12:05:52 PM

Ballinakill a hurling only club. I wold think that description of Crettyard Gaels is accurate

Target Man

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 20, 2017, 11:55:12 AM
Ballyfin Gaels - Senior Football Championship –Ballyfin  with players from Slieve Bloom  and Camross

??????????????Camross lads hurling with Ballyfin??

No

SCFC

I can see some clubs voting against these football amalgamations Monday night.
Some of the weaker senior clubs might not want Clonaslee for example being strengthened as it could threaten their own chances of not getting relegated. And some of the intermediate teams might prefer the weakest senior team being relegated instead of the likes of Graiugue or The Heath or even Stradbally who were all in the relegation mix in the last two years.

Laois fan

What's the story with Arles Killeen and barrow house is it not happening now

SCFC

Quote from: Laois fan on January 21, 2017, 03:57:21 PM
What's the story with Arles Killeen and barrow house is it not happening now

No - in fairness to Barrowhouse, Killeen took two of their best players - why should they prop up an aging Killeen outfit?

the sash

Alot of decisions you might think would get shot down,often pass through because the huling clubs have a vote in football matters n vice vearsa.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: the sash on January 21, 2017, 08:12:08 PM
Alot of decisions you might think would get shot down,often pass through because the huling clubs have a vote in football matters n vice vearsa.
If it doesn't affect a club their delegate should possibly abstain.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on January 22, 2017, 09:20:57 AM

I disagree.
Most items that come to a vote can have future consequences, with setting of precedent etc.
Also, it is Laois GAA, not Laois Hurling or Laois Football. All delegates and clubs are entitled to comment and vote on issues affecting Laois GAA as a whole.
Items such as grading, regrading, amalgamations as a whole might only ever affect a handful of clubs directly. However, they often lead to future scenarios that will affect many others.
For example, Ballinakill Gaels will only really affect the other 7 senior clubs. Does this mean that only those clubs should be allowed vote on it?
Similarly with Clonaslee Gaels.

The fact is that if those two pass then (IMO) the system is being abused and barring a change to rule at congress, it will be hard for Laois GAA to refuse any suggested amalgamations into the future.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 22, 2017, 03:53:44 PM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on January 22, 2017, 09:20:57 AM

I disagree.
Most items that come to a vote can have future consequences, with setting of precedent etc.
Also, it is Laois GAA, not Laois Hurling or Laois Football. All delegates and clubs are entitled to comment and vote on issues affecting Laois GAA as a whole.
Items such as grading, regrading, amalgamations as a whole might only ever affect a handful of clubs directly. However, they often lead to future scenarios that will affect many others.
For example, Ballinakill Gaels will only really affect the other 7 senior clubs. Does this mean that only those clubs should be allowed vote on it?
Similarly with Clonaslee Gaels.

The fact is that if those two pass then (IMO) the system is being abused and barring a change to rule at congress, it will be hard for Laois GAA to refuse any suggested amalgamations into the future.
I did say "possibly abstain".
And to be fair for the likes of Ballinakill Gaels it could affect far more than the other seven senior clubs so I don't think it should mean every other club should abstain.
However, I think if a delegate from Portarlington or Graigue for instance hasn't been mandated by his club to vote on a particular all hurling amalgamation I would think abstaining an acceptable option.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

redsetanta

It's all well and good for delegates to not bother voting because something doesn't affect them directly but they don't know when a similar situation will occur that DOES affect their club.
If you are not happy with the principle of the argument then you should vote against it whether it affects you directly or not. Ultimately all the decisions that are made at county board level will have an affect at some stage sooner or later.
So the 'it doesn't bother me so I don't care' attitude is wrong and detrimental in the long term to all GAA clubs.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Ballygowen

So what amalgamations have been passed at tonight's meeting? anyone any updates?

Keyser Söze

Quote from: redsetanta on January 23, 2017, 10:35:16 AM
It's all well and good for delegates to not bother voting because something doesn't affect them directly but they don't know when a similar situation will occur that DOES affect their club.
If you are not happy with the principle of the argument then you should vote against it whether it affects you directly or not. Ultimately all the decisions that are made at county board level will have an affect at some stage sooner or later.
So the 'it doesn't bother me so I don't care' attitude is wrong and detrimental in the long term to all GAA clubs.

I might not have been clear, but this is exactly what I meant.

I have no idea what happened/is happening tonight, but for any delegate to sit on their hands because these potential amalgams don't directly hinder their own clubs' championship ambitions is not right.
There is a need to be cognisant of the bigger picture, and Laois GAA is taking a turn for the worse with some of these "proposed" alliances.

"......Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me"
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Helix

See on new Laois today online media the gaels for 2017:
Hurling:
Ballinakill and Slieve Margy (Senior) No Slieve bloom so.
Ballyfin and Mountmellick (Senior A)
Colt and Clonad (Senior A)
Shanahoe and Ballypickas (Senior A)

Football:
Crettyard and Spink (Senior)
Ballyfin Slieve Bloom & Camross (Senior)
Mountmellick Castletown & Kilcavan (Senior)
Clonaslee and Annanough (Senior)
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail