Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTJ

No not a tall, I played junior for a country team most of my adult life and trying to assemble a team of lads in August between holidays and barley was next to impossible. you cant tell a farmer to stop cutting corn at 6 go home to eat dinner and be at training at half 7 with rain expected the following day. Or alternatively like what happened on more than one occasion you play your first match the second week of august and because of senior and inter being played your match get postponed for a month so you play a meangingless challenge match against a club somewhere and either win big, lose big or get inevitably your best player injured. There is nothing to stop the junior and inter league playing 4-5 games in march-april, and the rest in august on.
To stop bigger doing that is easy the top 19 lads that played the most amount c/ship the previous year are automatically your first panel, any player from that 19 can be regraded but cant go back up to senior the same year

Unlaoised

I think this is an argument that goes on in most counties and there is no simple solution but one things for certain we have to many senior teams in football and that should be looked at.

Amalgamations are difficult from both sides of the fence ....It's so hard to get the balance right.
LAOIS ABÚ

INTJ

Yeah it's a bit of situation alright but it works in other counties and could possibly be integrated here. I truly believe the old buzz words of passion and competitiveness have long been missing from senior football. And wanted to fit in the prospect of all players having the chance to experience senior football while making all c/ships more competitive. Football is currently mundane and that has to change somehow.

Keyser Söze

Do other clubs get any say in these amalgamations?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

hurlingmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on January 19, 2017, 08:11:32 PM
Do other clubs get any say in these amalgamations?

Im not so sure about Laois but in 2004 Golden/Anacarthy and kilfeacle amalgamated in Tipperary and reached a county final only to be narrowly defeated by Toomevara and just about every team they beat along the way objected to them playing as a unit and they ceased to exist as a combo as they were dubbed. If this was a result of objections, I dont know but clubs can object with good reason from what iv been told over the years

TP Ashe

Ballinakill Gaels - Senior Hurling Championship – Ballinakill with players from Slieve Bloom and Slieve Margy

Ballyfin Gaels –Senior Hurling "A" Championship –Ballyfin with players from Mountmellick
Ballyfin Gaels - Senior Football Championship –Ballyfin  with players from Slieve Bloom  and Camross

Clonaslee St Manmans Gaels – Senior Football Championship – Clonaslee St Manmans with players from Annanough

Crettyard Gaels – Senior Football Championship – Crettyard with players from Spink

Colt Gaels – Senior Hurling "A" Championship –Colt with players from Clonad

Mountmellick Gaels – Senior Football Championship - Mountmellick with players from Kilcavan and Castletown

Shanahoe Gaels - Senior Hurling "A" Championship – Shanahoe with players from Ballypickas

*All the above have been recommended by the County Executive.

Will be discussed and voted-on next Monday.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: TP Ashe on January 19, 2017, 10:00:25 PM
Ballinakill Gaels - Senior Hurling Championship – Ballinakill with players from Slieve Bloom and Slieve Margy

Ballyfin Gaels –Senior Hurling "A" Championship –Ballyfin with players from Mountmellick
Ballyfin Gaels - Senior Football Championship –Ballyfin  with players from Slieve Bloom  and Camross

Clonaslee St Manmans Gaels – Senior Football Championship – Clonaslee St Manmans with players from Annanough

Crettyard Gaels – Senior Football Championship – Crettyard with players from Spink

Mountmellick Gaels – Senior Football Championship - Mountmellick with players[/i] from Kilcavan and Castletown

Shanahoe Gaels - Senior Hurling "A" Championship – Shanahoe with players from Ballypickas

The above in bold and italics should not be entertained!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

O moore parklife

I 100% agree with the above.

TP Ashe

Quote from: O moore parklife on January 20, 2017, 12:24:29 AM
I 100% agree with the above.

100% agree.
Clubs will have been informed about these proposals on Tuesday. County Board Delegates should be mandated by their clubs to reject these proposals but I really doubt that will happen.

BallyroanAbbey

The Castletown one is specifically for ben reddin who has always played football for mountmellick and hurling for castletown to be fair to him

les Antiques

The Heath / Timahoe amalgamation is obviously a non runner then .

Don Draper

Mountmellick Gaels – Senior Football Championship - Mountmellick with players from Kilcavan and Castletown

Did they reject any?

Clonaslee and Annanough is almost like a social experiment of sorts.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Don Draper on January 20, 2017, 10:05:23 AM

Did they reject any?

There is no rule in the book to stop amalgamations such as Clonaslee/ Annanough. It can be stopped at the discretion of the County Committee which includes the club delegates. Here's a unusual one from Kilkenny. The only amalgamated set up in Kilkenny that I can think of is Galmoy/Windgap (underage) who are at least 30 miles apart. Don't know whether it is still going. 

TP Ashe

Quote from: Don Draper on January 20, 2017, 10:05:23 AM

Did they reject any?

I didn't see the correspondence or anything but I believe none were refused outright.

There was mention of some of these amalgamations being against the 'spirit of the rule' but that might only be hearsay.

Unlaoised

??????????????Camross lads hurling with Ballyfin??
LAOIS ABÚ