Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on December 30, 2016, 10:25:01 AM
There must be over 200 boys in each national school class.in Portlaoise parish schools,would 30% be playing any form of Gaelic games?.
Whose fault is that?

clonadmad

Don

Im sure it doesnt take a genius to work that one out.Another GDA is badly needed to even get the kids interested in playing Gaelic Games,the days of expecting Teachers to do it are long gone.

The smaller rural clubs always seem to make better use of their juvenile numbers,to paraphrase the Marines "no man is left behind"

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on December 30, 2016, 11:01:55 AM
Don

Im sure it doesnt take a genius to work that one out.Another GDA is badly needed to even get the kids interested in playing Gaelic Games,the days of expecting Teachers to do it are long gone.

The smaller rural clubs always seem to make better use of their juvenile numbers,to paraphrase the Marines "no man is left behind"
Can the clubs themselves not go into the schools?

BallyroanAbu

Hi

You have to pay for a GDO to go into School's not every club wants to do this.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on December 30, 2016, 02:34:37 PM
Hi

You have to pay for a GDO to go into School's not every club wants to do this.
Jackpot. We have a winner. If you don't sow, you won't reap.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Don Draper on December 30, 2016, 11:14:51 AM
Don

Can the clubs themselves not go into the schools?

Some schools are not that keen on clubs coming in. A teacher friend of mine once said she was running an educational establishment and not a sport academy.  She has a point.

BallyroanAbu

She has a point, but with obesity and mental health at the forefront of our health problems, sports have a huge part to play.   The benefit of sports aside from actually been good at it  are enormous.  There are plenty of examples of schools where education and sport flourish.   To be honest I am not worried what sport goes on but I actually think organized sport should be at least an hour a day in all schools. 

Don Draper

O moore parklife

Let's be very honest here as well the couple of development officers in the county well for football anyway are pretty dismal at there jobs hopfully colm begley will be worth his salt and it's not just yet another wink wink job for the boys. It's also a fact that the 2 previous coaches haven't completed the level 2 standard in coaching. One is disorganised I witnessed this at under 14 county games and the other has more interest in getting an odd picture on twitter to justify his yearly wage ill leave ye decide which one is which.
If you don't expect high standards things will remain backward and stagnant 5 years max in these development rolls before getting fresh and interested people in

Helix

Sticking to the topic the heath gaels becoming more likely for 2017. Timahoe voted for it the other night. Didn't believe the rumour in the beginning but becoming all the more likely. Ball in Heath's court now.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

SCFC

Quote from: O moore parklife on December 31, 2016, 07:31:51 AM
It's also a fact that the 2 previous coaches haven't completed the level 2 standard in coaching.

If the above is true it's a disgrace.

Keyser Söze

Clonadmad not everything posted here is an attack on you or your club. Please take note.

I did mention that Portlaoise has the lowest/one of the lowest participation rates in the county. Rightly or wrongly they don't need everyone.
Quote from: Keyser Söze on December 29, 2016, 07:01:17 PM

The bottom line is that huge numbers are being totally uncatered for. I would imagine that no other club in the county, bar Portlaoise, has such a low level of participation. There is the world of difference between players falling off as they get older, for all of the age old reasons, and those players not been catered for in the first place.

I didn't knock the effort of clubs like Clonad and Shanahoe to keep a juvenile set up running, and being "creative" when the numbers are tight.

What I clearly stated was that clubs who HAVE NUMBERS should not be facilitated in taking the handy way out and amalgamating.
I will not accept that Mountmellick and Ballyfin don't have the numbers.

And yes, I can and will quote primary school numbers. Is there a better indicator of your target audience than the number of boys attending primary school in your parish? I don't know of another.

Agreed. But it doesn't excuse the larger clubs inactivity.

Quote from: Downtheroad on December 30, 2016, 05:49:41 PM
Some schools are not that keen on clubs coming in. A teacher friend of mine once said she was running an educational establishment and not a sport academy.  She has a point.
No doubt there will be some teachers against everything (as with all professions), but I would be confident in saying that very few (if any) Principals would block the local GAA club sending in qualified, vetted and suitable people to coach in the school.

Quote from: clonadmad on December 30, 2016, 10:25:01 AM
You can quote all the school numbers you want Keyser ,the reality is based on what comes through the local clubs gates and then those who prefer or want to play hurling.
Ultimately it does come down to this. But each club needs to examine what THEY are doing to get them in the gate between the ages of 6 & 10. There is no magic solution that allows Camross and Clough Ballacolla to produce teams with tight numbers.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

So what Juvenile clubs need to up their game Keyser,given that you have the breakdown on national school numbers?

Ballyfin and Mountmellick, you have already mentioned,who else?

Portlaoise?
Mountrath?
Portarlington?

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on January 01, 2017, 12:33:40 PM
So what Juvenile clubs need to up their game Keyser,given that you have the breakdown on national school numbers?

Ballyfin and Mountmellick, you have already mentioned,who else?

Portlaoise?
Mountrath?
Portarlington?

Those figures are not mine. They are freely available here (http://www.education.ie/en/Find-a-School/School-Search-Results/?level=Primary&geo=Laois&ethos=-1&lang=-1&gender=-1)

As I said, each club needs to examine for themselves whether they are doing enough. Some do stand out, however, where numbers point overwhelmingly in one direction or the other.

I would have said Mountrath, but the school numbers there are surprisingly low.
I didn't post figures for Portarlington. Also have no idea about their juvenile set up. Haven't a clue!
Portlaoise needs more than one club. Hard to see that happening. Until they have competition for those numbers they will never maximise what's available. Right or wrong.

On second thoughts, I'll expand a bit further.
I think the numbers show that the following clubs are doing very well based on the numbers available to them;
Camross,
Clough Ballacolla,
Castletown Slieve Bloom,
Borris Kilcotton,
I didn't bother looking up anymore. I was merely trying to make comparisons.
I haven't knowledge to comment on juvenile football clubs.

And yourself? Do you agree with the idea of a sprawling Na Fianna?
Do you not think Mountmellick and Ballyfin have the numbers to compete on their own?
Do you not think primary school numbers are relevant?

Keyser Söze

Having just looked up Portarlington the numbers are very odd.
One school with 723 pupils, but with a breakdown of 159 boys and 564 girls. Jaysus that's most unusually uneven!
The only other school showing up is a Church of Ireland school with less than 100!

Is there a selective breeding programme in Port or what's going on?!