extortion

Started by illdecide, March 22, 2024, 09:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: lurganblue on April 17, 2024, 11:31:20 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68816689

"When his business opened, Mr McLaughlin was charging about £8.50 for a fish supper but with the cost of potatoes and other items doubling, he has had to put up his prices to £14 for the same order.

"There will come a time when I can't continue to keep putting up prices to facilitate rising costs. We are at the ceiling of where people are prepared to pay and what they can afford to pay," he said."

14 quid for a fish supper, scandalous

Should be a treat once in a while anyway. Too many people rely on these a few nights a week.

Milltown Row2

Nothing beats a good fish supper with whatever trimmings you have with yours (fond of a tub of curry on mine)

But its a lot cheaper to make the stuff yourself! Good batter mix and fish of choice and throw it into the deep fat fryer. Fire some cut spuds into the air fryer and jobs a goodin!

Very rare I get to the chippy nowadays unfortunately, but the prices are through the roof
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Do many still have the auld deep fat fryer? We've never had one since getting married and I vowed never to get one in as I'd fall into the lazy trap to often.
We've an actifry for few years now and love the chips out of it. Missus had to get the ninja there too. And despite initial objections given we already had an air fryer, it's used every day. Oven rarely goes on now unless it's a pasta bake, lasagna etc that doesn't fit in the ninja.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

I have the wee silver mini fat fryer, grand for goujons fish bites and chips. Stays in the garage

Have the Ninja and while its handy for roasties and other things I don't use it that much, love cooking, so generally be at the hob

The price of a take away is through the roof, recently ordered an Indian (I'll not say how much it cost in case Frank says I'm boasting ;)  ) and they have put their prices up since I last got one, though that was a good while ago
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Never been a big take away lover. Not sure if it's just in general or the fact most local ones are muck. After a Chinese or chippy I just feel like crap. Love getting to a nice indian but it's a rare occurrence.
That said, you can't go wrong with pizzas. Would be my go to when looking a fast food hit.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

lurganblue

The margins on pizza's must be fantastic, surely.

RedHand88

Quote from: lurganblue on April 17, 2024, 02:46:27 PMThe margins on pizza's must be fantastic, surely.

Was told this before yes. People seem happy to pay money for a pizza that they wouldn't pay for say a Chinese or a chippy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 17, 2024, 02:54:51 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 17, 2024, 02:46:27 PMThe margins on pizza's must be fantastic, surely.

Was told this before yes. People seem happy to pay money for a pizza that they wouldn't pay for say a Chinese or a chippy.

Mate bought the stove and all the malarkey that goes with it.. not worth the hassle, its far cheaper to order

clonian

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2024, 03:02:38 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 17, 2024, 02:54:51 PM

Mate bought the stove and all the malarkey that goes with it.. not worth the hassle, its far cheaper to order

I bought a stone that goes in the oven, wasn't dear but should of bought a paddle too. Works well but even with that there's a lot of work with the dough etc. They are really good when you go to the hassle though

Truth hurts

the local bar has gone up to £4.80, people are just stopping to go as often to bars