Started by From the Bunker, July 03, 2017, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: thewobbler on July 10, 2017, 05:24:10 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 10, 2017, 02:39:24 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 10, 2017, 02:37:09 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on July 10, 2017, 02:19:48 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 10, 2017, 11:26:32 AM
I thought Harrison was definitely a red card . but the ref saw it and decided it wasn't. so I was wrong . so move along nothing to see here

Even after both players hit the ground together , Harrison head first, the Clare lad still had Harrison in a headlock.
Not sure that it is as onesided as some make out.

No it wasn't. It was wrestling. Not is it the most strategic of pursuits. You grab, you shove, you pull. If he doesn't let up, how your opponent fares isn't going to be a concern.

But you should have enough cop on to know not to do something that could be life changing for yourself?

I know in these days of freeze frame technology, a dozen camera angles, and a thousand opinions it's easy to get confused. But we aren't computers, and we rely on instinct, not 10,000 calculations per second.

Given the choice between being dumped in the ground by Brendan Harrison or being shoulder charged at full tilt by Aidan O'Shea, I'd probably take the former. Just my opinion.

But hi it looks like we need to villify everything in the game these days. It annoys me greatly, but carry on.

There is a reason rugby have clamped down on tackles like that in the last few years. Incredibly dangerous and the Clare player had no way to protect himself. To even claim taking a hard shoulder would be worse is simply idiotic.

Syferus

Quote from: dublin7 on July 11, 2017, 02:39:23 PM
I thought Harrison was definitely a red card . but the ref saw it and decided it wasn't. so I was wrong . so move along nothing to see here

Even after both players hit the ground together , Harrison head first, the Clare lad still had Harrison in a headlock.

No it wasn't. It was wrestling. Not is it the most strategic of pursuits. You grab, you shove, you pull. If he doesn't let up, how your opponent fares isn't going to be a concern.

But you should have enough cop on to know not to do something that could be life changing for yourself?

I know in these days of freeze frame technology, a dozen camera angles, and a thousand opinions it's easy to get confused. But we aren't computers, and we rely on instinct, not 10,000 calculations per second.

Given the choice between being dumped in the ground by Brendan Harrison or being shoulder charged at full tilt by Aidan O'Shea, I'd probably take the former. Just my opinion.

But hi it looks like we need to villify everything in the game these days. It annoys me greatly, but carry on.

There is a reason rugby have clamped down on tackles like that in the last few years. Incredibly dangerous and the Clare player had no way to protect himself. To even claim taking a hard shoulder would be worse is simply idiotic.

+1

rosnarun

Quote from: dublin7 on July 11, 2017, 02:39:23 PM

main reason is rugby players are now pumped to the gill with EPA Stimulants steroids Blood doping gene doping Peptide Hormones and Analogues and jaffa cakes
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thefont

The harrison one is dangerous. Judo throws like that can do a lot of damage if the head hits the ground awkwardly. We saw a Derry player going for the eyes to release himself from a wrestle and there were two throws this weekend (one by harrison and another in the Galway/Roscommon melee). Who started it is irrelevant, players need to face sanctions for these things. If I remember correctly (a good while ago now) a Fermanagh county player was left in a critical condition after being on the end of a judo throw when tangling with an opposition player in San Francisco club football. This isn't an anti-Mayo thing it needs to be stamped out for the safety of all players.

The Cillian thing on the other hand smells a bit. A bit like the Keegan thing. However we all know Cillian exacted some retribution on Philly McMahon last year which has infuriated the Dubs and it seems they are not going to let it go. He's a tough player who plays very close to the edge in the physical stakes (as does Philly McMahon) and he needs to be very careful now or we could lose him for a big match. Which begs the question who is our replacement free taker these days?

I would now say it is likely Cillian will get a red-card this year if he makes contact with the face of a player when tackling regardless of the intent. Referees can be effectively led as we have seen previously with the Keegan media stuff. No point complaining about it, management need to cognisant and plan accordingly.

blast05

Quote from: thefont on July 11, 2017, 05:17:23 PM
The harrison one is dangerous. Judo throws like that can do a lot of damage if the head hits the ground awkwardly. We saw a Derry player going for the eyes to release himself from a wrestle and there were two throws this weekend (one by harrison and another in the Galway/Roscommon melee). Who started it is irrelevant, players need to face sanctions for these things. If I remember correctly (a good while ago now) a Fermanagh county player was left in a critical condition after being on the end of a judo throw when tangling with an opposition player in San Francisco club football. This isn't an anti-Mayo thing it needs to be stamped out for the safety of all players.

The Cillian thing on the other hand smells a bit. A bit like the Keegan thing. However we all know Cillian exacted some retribution on Philly McMahon last year which has infuriated the Dubs and it seems they are not going to let it go. He's a tough player who plays very close to the edge in the physical stakes (as does Philly McMahon) and he needs to be very careful now or we could lose him for a big match. Which begs the question who is our replacement free taker these days?

I would now say it is likely Cillian will get a red-card this year if he makes contact with the face of a player when tackling regardless of the intent. Referees can be effectively led as we have seen previously with the Keegan media stuff. No point complaining about it, management need to cognisant and plan accordingly.

You are right about Cillian and refs for the rest of the season.
The Sunday f**king Game have again set the tone re Cillian when they asked the Dublin GAA Commercial Manager to comment on Cillian defending himself. Same as that complete bolloux act last year when Ciaran Whelan put the icing on the cake as far as Dublin were concerned but sewing the seed firmly in the refs mind re Lee Keegan

'Defending himself' you ask re Cillian .... YES ....  incident linked below was seconds before Cillians attempt to defend himself:
https://youtu.be/sky8ojZPdKE
What was he supposed to do .... continue to be horsed about the place all games long ?

I tell you, if Cillian is sent off for a 'soft' incident later in the summer, then it would take all my restraint to not march on the Sunday Games Studio and ..... OK, well i'd probably do f*ck all but i would have a fair blast of steam that would need to be released somehow!

mayoaremagic

Quote from: blast05 on July 11, 2017, 11:58:31 PM

The Sunday f**king Game have again set the tone re Cillian when they asked the Dublin GAA Commercial Manager to comment on Cillian defending himself. Same as that complete bolloux act last year when Ciaran Whelan put the icing on the cake as far as Dublin were concerned but sewing the seed firmly in the refs mind re Lee Keegan

'Defending himself' you ask re Cillian .... YES ....  incident linked below was seconds before Cillians attempt to defend himself:
What was he supposed to do .... continue to be horsed about the place all games long ?

I tell you, if Cillian is sent off for a 'soft' incident later in the summer, then it would take all my restraint to not march on the Sunday Games Studio and ..... OK, well i'd probably do f*ck all but i would have a fair blast of steam that would need to be released somehow!

+1 Cillian needs more protection from referees

iorras

The Dubs constant jumping on any real or perceived disciplinary incident involving Mayo players is a back handed compliment in many ways, they know we are the only ones who have consistently put it up to them in recent years and they would no doubt love if Mayo were out.
The unfairness of the Sunday Game and the pro Dublin agenda is fecken sickening. If we had that advantage in Mayo I'd take it if it led to winning but I'd at least be honest enough to admit that unlike the one eyed Dubs who unfortunately make up an increasing number of their support.
And dont get me stated on Aslan :)

westbound

Quote from: blast05 on July 11, 2017, 11:58:31 PM

That 'incident' is fairly harmless to be fair. Nothing that no forward worth his salt doesn't regularly get.

Maroon Manc

I'm no fan of COC and he's up there as one of the most cynical players in the game but there's now way he should get a ban for that and there was certainly an agenda if that was shown on TSG.

rosnarun

some joke if a guy who is being manhandled by 3 opponents  end up getting the ban
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere