Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Two milk processing plants in Omagh, Strathroy diaries and the Kerry group bought over Leckpatrick a number of years back. The smell of the stuff would toss ye!

giveherlong

Strathroy have a substantial liquid milk market also.
Apart from their own brand they also bottle for Lidl, probably others
From what I can gather they source quite a bit of their raw milk from farmers in the 26 counties. The milk is transported to Omagh for processing. Quite a lot of this milk is then shipped back across the border for sale in retail outlets
I stand to be corrected but don't believe they have any processing facilities apart from Omagh?
A hard brexit would be a nightmare scenario for them

Harold Disgracey

This is well worth a read, transcript from a lecture given by Sir Ivan Rogers, former UK permanent representative to the EU.

https://share.trin.cam.ac.uk/sites/public/Comms/Rogers_brexit_as_revolution.pdf

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: trailer on October 11, 2018, 10:48:16 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 11, 2018, 09:28:42 PM
I can't believe that the farming community aren't giving the DUP hell around their stance.

Northern Irish agri / dairy is sold on the basis of us maintaining EC standards.  After next March how do the third countries update their required standards to say that UK standards are acceptable?  Will they need to be tested / audited? And if so, how long will that take?
What happens before those standards are changed?

In terms of other sectors effected:

In the material handling sector (a sector where NI, and specifically Tyrone lead the world) the equipment tends to confirm with the EC Machinery Directive, and is CE marked accordingly.  The body that is attesting that the equipment applies to the CE standard needs to be based in the EU.  This will really complicate things for the manufacturing sector.

The aerospace industry is very tightly regulated and is governed by the European Aviation and Safety Agency (EASA).  Again will UK manufacturers be able to supply parts to be used in planes as they will be outside of EASA?

Dairy farmers nearly all to a man voted leave. Red tape, being told what to do and when to do it by Brussels being the main reasons. And you know what? They are dead right. Regardless of what happens the UK government will support them. So for the farming sector there is probably no downside.
Personally I'd love to see the bundle of hungry c***ts being put on the side of the road, but that's unlikely.
Farming will probably be the worst hit especially if the UK do a deal with the USA. Unlike lreland the farming industry doesn't have as much influence in Britain. The elite, city and the home counties will be looked after first, anyone or anywhere else will be an after thought. It is clear to see many of the leavers and DUP followers don't care about the best solution for trade, economy etc just if they can have their borders

Mayo4Sam

Ya I'd say farmers in the north are very worried. Whatever about dairy farmers, the suckler lads are 100% dependent on subsidies for any wages/profit.

Quote from: johnnycool on October 12, 2018, 08:52:01 AM

Currently the only milk processing plant in the North in Newtownards makes powdered milk and those wee pots of UHT milk

75% of all milk in Ireland goes to powder or UHT so that not unusual

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Minder

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 12, 2018, 11:35:43 AM
This is well worth a read, transcript from a lecture given by Sir Ivan Rogers, former UK permanent representative to the EU.

https://share.trin.cam.ac.uk/sites/public/Comms/Rogers_brexit_as_revolution.pdf

Started reading All Out War by Tim Shipman the other day and he mentions Rogers as intelligent, learned and knew what he was at, so obviously the government didn't want anything to do with him 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maddog

Just throwing a few things out there.
I work for a company that exports and imports globally. (Purely container shipping) To give you an idea of scale a few years ago we hit a target of 1 million containers shipped in and out of the UK and Ireland in one year.
Our exports from Ireland would largely be foodstuffs mainly milk powder and other dairy products. Just looking at the last weeks exports the main destinations are Philipines, Oman, Malaysia, Nigeria, Hong Kong, Iraq, China, Cameroon, Ghana, Pakistan, Lebanon, gabon, Congo, Costa rica, Burkina Faso, New Zealand, Morocco, Togo,Egypt, Algeria, Tanzania to name a few. On refrigerated work its dairy products and also fish and meat going to all over the world but particularly far east. We also have a part of our company that is mainly an intra european subsidiary with a bit of North Africa/Med thrown in. This bit of the operation will be very interesting.
Couple of things have resonated with me from the previous posts. Firstly brexit has hardly had a mention within our company, the attitude is largely "we dont know, lets wait and see". The second is that on the dairy side from Ireland we have all the big exporters like Glanbia, Lakeland Dairies, Kerry Group, in the north there is nothing. Northern exports tend to be wastepaper, raw animal hides, used clothing, used motor parts, scrap metal. The refrigerated work is mainly meat but significantly less what we do from the south. In the Uk our large volume exports are scrap and wastepaper. As for manufacturing - what manufacturing ? The imports are different gravy and the ratio is pretty much 3 imports to 1 export.

A lot of what comes into Ireland north and south that originates in the far east has to come off in Rotterdam as the vessels are too big for Irish ports. These then get transshipped onto smaller feeder vessels into Belfast Dublin and Cork mainly. In the event of no deal Rotterdam port have said there will be now 9 different checks on containers coming in this way. Rotterdam is the biggest port in Europe.

An already overstretched capacity wise Dublin port (i've heard) has already set aside 9 acres of port space to do customs checks in the event of a no deal and this is what they are preparing for. Dublin port is creaking as it is. Cork port is set to relocate to further out the estuary. The Irish volumes are naturally (due to population) small beer compared with GB. One thing in England that we are struggling for is drivers. Many were Polish and have gone home in their droves going on the feedback from hauliers.

From my own point of view i can't see one upside to brexit. Just headaches and hassle.

Insane Bolt

Shit will literally hit the fan when there are no health care support workers. Many of my colleagues from Europe are leaving......a combination of not feeling welcome and job opportunities in their home countries.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

During the Brexit campaign:
Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market
-   Daniel Hannan MEP
Only a madman would actually leave the Market
-    Owen Paterson MP, Vote Leave backer
Increasingly, the Norway option looks the best for the UK
-   Arron Banks, Leave.EU founder

Now:
Kent motorway to shut as work begins on possible post-Brexit lorry park

imtommygunn

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 12, 2018, 02:05:26 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2018, 01:32:31 PM
EU meeting NI business
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/12/eu-makes-direct-appeal-northern-irish-firms-brexit-backstop

I wonder is that them effectively bypassing the DUP / tories to effectively find out the truth

About time and considering when it comes to Brexit the DUP are representing a minority opinion it's only but right.

GJL

Quote from: johnnycool on October 12, 2018, 02:17:57 PM
EU meeting NI business
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/12/eu-makes-direct-appeal-northern-irish-firms-brexit-backstop

I wonder is that them effectively bypassing the DUP / tories to effectively find out the truth

About time and considering when it comes to Brexit the DUP are representing a minority opinion it's only but right.

The way things are going at present it is a minority that is getting smaller by the day.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: GJL on October 12, 2018, 02:32:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 12, 2018, 02:17:57 PM
EU meeting NI business

The way things are going at present it is a minority that is getting smaller by the day.

And the delegation was led by a gaeilgeoir from Portadown!

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B