The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: TheOptimist on July 30, 2019, 10:03:41 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 29, 2019, 10:23:45 PM
It was good of the PGA to destroy the Irish Open today. c***ts,

Crazy. May this be why they have held of on any announcements on the Irish Open yet. I've heard it is between The Island and County Sligo.

And on another note JP McManus won't be best pleased either!

Sounds like it's going to be in September and at a Parkland course possibly Mount Juliet. . . Would it still work the week before Wentworth??

gallsman

Quote from: trailer on July 30, 2019, 08:09:21 AM
It's time for a World Tour with around 100 - 120 players then the European tour becoming a sort of feeder tour.
Everyone has worked hard to get the Irish Open back to were it is now (including Rory McIlroy) so it's very disappointing news. Was reading on twitter that a Sept date is being talked about.

Pretty much what it is today in fairness.

dec

The WGC tournaments were supposed to be a joint venture of all the golf tours, it seems in this case that the date decision was driven by the US PGA.

Applesisapples

GUI is about to introduce the slopes system for handicaps from next year, any ideas how it works?

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 01, 2019, 01:44:48 PM
GUI is about to introduce the slopes system for handicaps from next year, any ideas how it works?

My understanding, is that each course will be given a difficulty rating and which will be used to calculate handicaps. It should make interclub competitions fairer.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

We're on the slope rating over here. Each course is rated on level of difficulty, as is each set of tee boxes. You will carry a handicap index with you. When you get to a course, you will put your index into the computer against the slope rating for that course and that set of tee boxes and it will give you a course handicap.

You post every round of golf unless you are playing by yourself. Single player rounds do not count to handicapping. The system will track your last 20 rounds of golf, and automatically kick out the worst 10 rounds. Your handicap index is a function of the average of the best 10 rounds out of your last 20.

For Example.

My Index: 10.1
My Course Rating from the 1 up tees: 138
My Course Handicap from the 1 up tees: 12

The downside of this handicap system (which revises every 2 weeks) is that it doesn't take into consideration the day to day playing rating of the course (i.e. the standard scratch) for any given day. Wind howls at my course it's a total bear. Plays at least 2-3 strokes harder.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Puckoon on August 01, 2019, 05:58:31 PM

We're on the slope rating over here. Each course is rated on level of difficulty, as is each set of tee boxes. You will carry a handicap index with you. When you get to a course, you will put your index into the computer against the slope rating for that course and that set of tee boxes and it will give you a course handicap.

You post every round of golf unless you are playing by yourself. Single player rounds do not count to handicapping. The system will track your last 20 rounds of golf, and automatically kick out the worst 10 rounds. Your handicap index is a function of the average of the best 10 rounds out of your last 20.

For Example.

My Index: 10.1
My Course Rating from the 1 up tees: 138
My Course Handicap from the 1 up tees: 12

The downside of this handicap system (which revises every 2 weeks) is that it doesn't take into consideration the day to day playing rating of the course (i.e. the standard scratch) for any given day. Wind howls at my course it's a total bear. Plays at least 2-3 strokes harder.
A lot harder to maintain your handicap then?

Puckoon

You will bounce up a couple points here and there, but wholesale changes shouldn't really impact.

We have a revision on the 1st and 15th of every month. I just revised to 10.3, which interestingly at a course rating of 138 gives me a course handicap of 13 instead of 12.

Helpful..

Orior

Quote from: Puckoon on August 02, 2019, 08:08:51 PM
You will bounce up a couple points here and there, but wholesale changes shouldn't really impact.

We have a revision on the 1st and 15th of every month. I just revised to 10.3, which interestingly at a course rating of 138 gives me a course handicap of 13 instead of 12.

Helpful..

So your home club is a pitch & putt. Mayobridge? Crossgar? Killeavy?

Puckoon

7252 from the tips. Easy for men of your caliber!

JimStynes

Powerkaddy the best of its kind or is there another brand worth looking at? I can't carry my golf bag around 18 holes without being near crippled ffs.

Applesisapples

Quote from: JimStynes on August 02, 2019, 09:41:26 PM
Powerkaddy the best of its kind or is there another brand worth looking at? I can't carry my golf bag around 18 holes without being near crippled ffs.
Go for it or Motocaddy. A friend bought one on line, made in china job, same price as a basic powakaddy it broke down after 3 months no way of getting it fixed.

thebigfella

Look at gokart as well. UK company but customer service probably best out there.

Orior

Mikhail Prokhorov

well once again our hero is in the thick of things on a sunday, head to head with the world no 1, for 15 big ones, now is his time  ;)