Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2014, 07:56:01 PM
What I can't understand amidst all the condescension and insult trading is why a county's capital funding is entirely dependent on its County Board's ability to develop a strategic plan for games promotion. County administrators will have different levels of ability so surely any games promotion should be driven by the GAA and they as the professional administrators should be looking at a national strategic plan. Should they not work with each county boards to develop 5 year, 10 year and 20 year plans per county incorporated in a NSP. Surely a model can be developed that can be flexible enough to fit a counties requirements? Does that not fit in with the GAAs inclusive ideals or is it really every county should fend for itself?

Development plans for any Provincial Council, County board or indeed individual club are available from Croke Park. All any of the previous have to do is contact Croke Park and assistance will be made available.

Lots of counties have significant high level experience available to them - look at Charlie McGreevey in Kildare.

Would you have Croke Park hand over blank cheques with counties who have proven they cannot administer their finances to the extent they need bailouts to pay the ESB bill?

Dinny Breen

The point is which I thought was clear was why are we not moving away from this model. The GAA has professional administrators, should they not be working with county boards to ensure a cohesive county development plan that fits into a national plan and is not financially mis-managed through lack of financial acumen or incompetence.

Are the GAA incapable of driving something as important as games development and promotion from the top down?
#newbridgeornowhere

easytiger95

Can't say for sure Dinny, but a basic knowledge of human nature would make you suspect that local administrators might well resent any intrusion on what they might regard as their own sphere of influence? Nothing displays power like controlling funding and in their own counties, the chairman and board members are very powerful people. All politics are local, after all, and there is nothing as political as sports administration - as lads like Pat Hickey, John Delaney, Bernard O'Byrne, Philip Browne etc would tell you.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 06, 2014, 09:19:44 PM
Can't say for sure Dinny, but a basic knowledge of human nature would make you suspect that local administrators might well resent any intrusion on what they might regard as their own sphere of influence? Nothing displays power like controlling funding and in their own counties, the chairman and board members are very powerful people. All politics are local, after all, and there is nothing as political as sports administration - as lads like Pat Hickey, John Delaney, Bernard O'Byrne, Philip Browne etc would tell you.

I suppose that's the answer I was afraid of. On one hand parochialism is the driving force behind the GAA but it does hold it back in other ways. I would like to see as everyone one would a more equitable system while recognisingt the structures that are there currently. However I don't think at grassroots level there are enough forward thinkers in the weaker counties to avail of those structures. I have no idea how this can be addressed certainly not under the landscape , as a friend of mine once said to me "you send the useless ones of to be the county delegates" maybe we should be sending the good uns.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 06, 2014, 07:59:58 PM
I'm a bit of a pedant AZ, what I'm actually saying is, that while Dublin are being administered as a province, they are competing as a county. Take my example of Cork - they have access to 100k games development funds directly and also a slice of  the 1.1 million that the munster council have. If we divide that 1.1 million by 6 counties we get 183k or so - now if we follow the principle of
allocating that money on a per capita or playing population basis you'd expect Cork to get at least a double share - so now we're looking at Cork having about 466k to play with for development funds (could be a little less, could be a little more - I'd think it is probably more). Doing rough maths again on the perspective populations of the two counties - Dublin from the 2011 census was just under 1.27 million and Cork was 518,000 - so suddenly things aren't looking so inequal on a funding or competition basis.

Administering Dublin separately makes sense because of the size of it, but I don't think that confers any inherent advantage on the pitch.
I suspect your figures for Cork are faulty  they look very dubious to me, unless of course, you have the Cork GAA accounts at hand :)
And Dublin do have a share of the Leinster pot, just as Cork have some share of the Munster pot, Dublin garner an extra Eur260k from the Leinster pot,
i.e. according to the  fanciful named "Unleashing the Blue Wave" pdf document http://tinyurl.com/q2nv3lo

But Cork GAA is not short of cash raised by themselves, I think they even have suitcases full of  cash reserves.

Johnnybegood

Best page of the thread so far!  Finally some well constructed argument. Well played lads!

easytiger95

Main Street - any argument I put forward there were solely based on Neilthemac's very helpfully posted figures and CSO census figures. You might cut and paste the 260k figure from that report - no time to go through it, but given that Leinster counties are actively canvassing to keep Dublin in Croker to keep up revenue streams, I'd be surprised if that is the case now- the Blue Wave document is from 2011  and Neilthemac's figures from 2013.

Main Street

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 08, 2014, 04:55:23 PM
Main Street - any argument I put forward there were solely based on Neilthemac's very helpfully posted figures and CSO census figures. You might cut and paste the 260k figure from that report - no time to go through it, but given that Leinster counties are actively canvassing to keep Dublin in Croker to keep up revenue streams, I'd be surprised if that is the case now- the Blue Wave document is from 2011  and Neilthemac's figures from 2013.
Page 27
The total cost of the Dublin/SRC games development programme has been running at c €3m per year which has traditionally been part funded by the Irish Sports Council (€900k), Dublin Clubs (€860k), Central Council (€600k) and Leinster Council (€260k), with the balance being provided by the Dublin County Committee.

I don't agree with the veracity of the figures you have extrapolated from the Operating Payments graph.
The method you use looks very dubious to me. Simplest thing is have a look at the Dublin and Cork published accounts and compare them.

In the end, Dublin has the population and inevitably if games development are to receive financial support, Dublin will receive more funding for programs. 
And dividing up the games development kitty  by 32 (plus Britain and  elsewhere)  just doesn't cut the mustard.
but there are no concrete figures to support your contention that Cork are receiving similar funding in proportion to the Dubs.

The section  that has apparent inequality is to do with team expenses,  on that 2013 Operating Payments graph.
Maybe there is some explanation for some teams who make progress in championship who got paltry sums, eg Donegal 30k.
Here there is scope for a rational distribution of funds to support county panel preparations and their travel expenses.

PaddyP73

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 29, 2014, 07:21:18 PM
Quote from: Thisonegoesto11 on April 29, 2014, 06:52:32 PM
...its about 'playing at home for the rest of the season' .....doesn't say Dublin GAA....but most threads tend to be about Dublin (unless started by a Dub :) )

Who else is playing at home for the rest of the season?

your mother?  :P

mayoaremagic