Playing at home for the rest of the Season (year)!

Started by From the Bunker, April 07, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthemac

I think it's yourself that is skewing the facts. That 7 million given to Dublin GAA isn't from the GAA, it's from the Sport Council. ie taxpayers.

Now, where do other counties apply?

heffo

Quote from: neilthemac on May 06, 2014, 12:09:56 PM
I think it's yourself that is skewing the facts. That 7 million given to Dublin GAA isn't from the GAA, it's from the Sport Council. ie taxpayers.

Now, where do other counties apply?

Read my post from last night where I clearly stated that. It's from the Irish Sports council through the GAA.

I've already told you where counties apply.

johnneycool

Quote from: neilthemac on May 06, 2014, 11:58:56 AM
I've read that before...

"Over a seven-year period almost €7m was ring-fenced from Irish Sports Council funding to develop hurling in Dublin – the Laois fraternity would salivate at the thoughts of a small portion of that. Last year, Plunkett went on national radio to debate their plight with a GAA official. Plunkett was reminded that a centre of excellence was available to aid their development. In the same breath, however, Plunkett reminded the official that the centre in question was based at Waterford IT. Not much use to the men of Laois."

And even less use to us much further north of Laois.

neilthemac

Counties are not able to apply to the Irish Sport Council for grants for non-capital projects. They have to do this through the GAA.

eg in 2012 in the Irish Sport Council capital sports grant for Dublin only €220,000 was allocated to Dublin GAA directly. The only other county board to get direct funding was Donegal - €300,000.
So where did the rest of the €1,000,000 come from then to fund Dublin coaching?

Where can other counties apply to? Because I don't see any mention of it with the Irish Sports Council.

AZOffaly

neil, I think the point heffo is making is that the GAA decide where the Sports Council money goes, and counties should make a claim to the GAA.

neilthemac

I'm enjoying this...

so in the GAA 2014 financial report, the whole of the country was given €1,256,963 for games development. (that is outside of wages)
Wages for all games development staff was €2,987,781 (does that also cover all of the full time and part time coaches in Dublin)

Dublin were given a special grant of €1,470,000.

Hurling development was funded to €1,292,485 (but a lot of counties don't have hurling coaches) and there was also more funding for national and regional projects (which I'm sure Dublin is part of)

So, one county gets more than the other counties combined. (should the 6 counties in NI be included?, I don't know if they are funded separate by the assembly).
I'm just clearing up the facts.

AZOffaly

I don't think there's any doubt that Dublin gets more money than any other county. I wasn't aware that was even in question. I think what was being questioned was a) why do Dublin get so much, and b) Why not (insert county here).

My understanding of it is that a case was made, costed and planned, which the GAA liked to allow Dublin compete with other codes in the city and county. They seem to have taken this money and invested it very well.

As for b) I don't know if any counties have made a proposal that's been knocked back. I do know that all other counties get a lot less than that, but I'm not sure if they have demonstrated how and why this money is needed.

I will say that I'd be upset if counties like Offaly and Tipperary are being knocked back on the basis that their plan doesn't have a good ROI for the gaa, where ROI is being measured in pure monetary terms related to more kids playing and more crowds attending.

Rossfan

So it's a case of trying to take on rugby and soccer in the largest centre of population - a laudable idea but the danger is we create a monster and destroy all competition on the playing fields.
That might be alright in Professional sport where you can "decide " to support any team from anywhere but in a totally place of origin based sport......
I foresee the "Split Dublin" movement growing in strength.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Stall the Bailer

For two big enough counties, Mayo and Tyrone don't fair well on the Games Development payments.

easytiger95

Very interesting Neil - again without being a forensic accountant, I'd have to say that if I see a column that says "Games Development" followed by a column that says "Dublin Games Development" I'd assume them to be separate items (willing to be corrected here)

If that is the case, that means nationally 4.5 mil spent on development, specifically on hurling there was 2.1 million spent nationally, and Dublin was then given 1.4 million - you'll note that figure isn't broken down as I assume all those personnel expenses etc are administered by the Dublin County board - so I'd say the coaches you're talking about come from that 1.4.

The only crossover i could possibly see is with national competitions that are competed in by Dublin - eg Cumann Na mBunscoil and Feile - which is minimal in expenditure.

Role of the provinces is very important - so whilst Cork say get 100k games development specifically for themselves, the Munster council get 1.1 million - so I'm sure there are projects within cork that benefit from this further allocation. Dublin, because of population reasons, is essentially being administered as a province, separate from Leinster. If you look at it that way, it is actually nowhere near as unfair as Don't Matter makes out - in fact it is very near equal spending per capita.

AZOffaly

I take your point easytiger, except Dublin isn;'t competing against provinces, it's competing against counties. I think the counties need to up their game and start trying to implement the Dublin model, and look for the monies to do it.

Dinny Breen

What I can't understand amidst all the condescension and insult trading is why a county's capital funding is entirely dependent on its County Board's ability to develop a strategic plan for games promotion. County administrators will have different levels of ability so surely any games promotion should be driven by the GAA and they as the professional administrators should be looking at a national strategic plan. Should they not work with each county boards to develop 5 year, 10 year and 20 year plans per county incorporated in a NSP. Surely a model can be developed that can be flexible enough to fit a counties requirements? Does that not fit in with the GAAs inclusive ideals or is it really every county should fend for itself?
#newbridgeornowhere

easytiger95

I'm a bit of a pedant AZ, what I'm actually saying is, that while Dublin are being administered as a province, they are competing as a county. Take my example of Cork - they have access to 100k games development funds directly and also a slice of  the 1.1 million that the munster council have. If we divide that 1.1 million by 6 counties we get 183k or so - now if we follow the principle of
allocating that money on a per capita or playing population basis you'd expect Cork to get at least a double share - so now we're looking at Cork having about 466k to play with for development funds (could be a little less, could be a little more - I'd think it is probably more). Doing rough maths again on the perspective populations of the two counties - Dublin from the 2011 census was just under 1.27 million and Cork was 518,000 - so suddenly things aren't looking so inequal on a funding or competition basis.

Administering Dublin separately makes sense because of the size of it, but I don't think that confers any inherent advantage on the pitch.