More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:40:59 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 26, 2019, 07:24:44 PM
There seems to be 2 trains of thought on here:

1. No return to Stormont for the reasons stated e.g. DUP bad faith, inequality and a general lack of respect for nationalists going back over the years.  You could also theough in their current links to loyalists etc.

2. Those, who I presume are mostly nationalists, who oppose SF.

I've asked this question before a few times but nobody has really gave an answer.

People are great at castgating political parties and politicians etc. but are not great at saying what they are for.

If not SF, what type of party should be formed and why? How would they differ
I understand Aontú are testing the water in the local elections in the north.  Are they a credible option for nationalists?

What about a party committed to making this place work and not obsessed with green and orange and borders? Anyway what about an answer to my ILA question????

What party is that then? Let us all know.

The key question is can the six counties work?

It's a failed political enity - everyone can see this.

marty34

1. No return to Stormont for the reasons stated e.g. DUP bad faith, inequality and a general lack of respect for nationalists going back over the years.  You could also theough in their current links to loyalists etc.

I've asked this question before a few times but nobody has really gave an answer.

People are great at castgating political parties and politicians etc. but are not great at saying what they are for.

I understand Aontú are testing the water in the local elections in the north.  Are they a credible option for nationalists?

What about a party committed to making this place work and not obsessed with green and orange and borders? Anyway what about an answer to my ILA question????

In regards to ILA, same as Scotland and Wales.

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on April 26, 2019, 08:18:53 PM

Alliance. Assumed you would have deciphered that from the post above when I said it was Alliance

Making the 6 counties work is indeed the key question, given that we are left with that entity whether it be in a UK, a UI or as an independent nation (the latter is hugely unlikely). A lot of people fail to grasp that even in a UI stormont and NI continue to exist and we have to make them work. Calling it a failed entity doesn't allow any of us to wash our hands of the need, for our iwn sake and the generations to come to make it work

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on April 26, 2019, 08:19:54 PM

In regards to ILA, same as Scotland and Wales.

Well that's good. I can sign up to the Scottish act. Hopefully we can get SF to agree to it and then government can be re-established. Most public bodies in NI already adhere to the Scottish standards

imtommygunn

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:36:50 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2019, 06:56:03 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 05:41:58 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2019, 04:06:37 PM
Exactly. Not one compromise have they ever made. Not one.

I feel the same about them. As a consequence I have never voted for them. I recommend that you do the same. But who are you going to vote for?

I will do the same. Not sure who I am going to vote for. I am talking about the dup. I would sooner cut my arm off than vote for them ;D

I'm also talking about DUP. Who ARE you voting for?

I haven't decided yet.

smelmoth

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2019, 08:34:53 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:36:50 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2019, 06:56:03 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 05:41:58 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2019, 04:06:37 PM
Exactly. Not one compromise have they ever made. Not one.

I feel the same about them. As a consequence I have never voted for them. I recommend that you do the same. But who are you going to vote for?

I will do the same. Not sure who I am going to vote for. I am talking about the dup. I would sooner cut my arm off than vote for them ;D

I'm also talking about DUP. Who ARE you voting for?

I haven't decided yet.

Sure let us know on the day after

Eamonnca1

If not SF, what type of party should be formed and why? How would they differ?

Well I'm all for social democratic principles, so I'd start the name with the letters SD. I also think that a good party for nationalists would be one that stands up for the working man and would be aligned with the Labour Party in Europe and the south (none of that Fianna Fail malarkey) and would take its seats in Westminster where it'd be aligned with the Labour party there. So the letter L would come next. And to finish off the name, we'd have to make it clear that it's a party, so it'd have to end in P.

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 08:30:12 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 26, 2019, 08:18:53 PM

Alliance. Assumed you would have deciphered that from the post above when I said it was Alliance

Making the 6 counties work is indeed the key question, given that we are left with that entity whether it be in a UK, a UI or as an independent nation (the latter is hugely unlikely). A lot of people fail to grasp that even in a UI stormont and NI continue to exist and we have to make them work. Calling it a failed entity doesn't allow any of us to wash our hands of the need, for our iwn sake and the generations to come to make it work
Genuine question. Why alliance? What have they delivered in the past and what can they deliver in the future? When I left Ireland they didn't exist I think. I don't know much about them apart from seeing Naomi Long and Sorcha Eastwood on Twitter and they don't overly impress me on that platform. But to be fair no politician does

trailer

I'll be voting SDLP. I will transfer to Alliance and UUP. Parties interested in making NI work.
Power sharing is the only show in town. If you think that a Unity referendum is achievable and more importantly winnable in the near future you are living in cloud cuckoo land. It is a distraction tactic used by SF to cover their own shortcomings. I am in favour of a United Ireland. Nut understand there is much work to be done before it's achievable.

imtommygunn

The uup are not covering themselves in glory. Election leaflets being sent round about alliance siding with the pira. Pretty inflammatory stuff.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2019, 10:46:05 PM
The uup are not covering themselves in glory. Election leaflets being sent round about alliance siding with the pira. Pretty inflammatory stuff.

I agree. But in Stormont you have to share power. Transferring to UUP indicates who I prefer.

*I appreciate this isn't a Stormont election.

marty34

Anybody think this election will be a vote on Brexit?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:34:09 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 26, 2019, 06:48:08 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 25, 2019, 04:57:25 PM
I see from the posts on here that many on the board are bought into the equal blame on both SF and the DUP. But lets remember that SF had a compromise agreement, which parked the issues some of you now want dropped completely. They rightly were taken top task by the Pro Choice/Irish Language/LGBT groups. Even at that the hard line DUP base couldn't wear it. If SF now go back to this deal that didn't secure rights as promised they would be slaughtered at the polls and their opponents would including the SDLP would make hay. Bottom line is and I will repeat it the DUP and UUP do not get equality or parity of esteem. Fr Magill's well intentioned remarks perpetuate the myth of parity of blame.

100% right. No parity of esteem when dealing with right wing religious zealots against rights for gay community and compromise of any sort and who have never said anything but no to every effort at peace on this island.

Do don't vote for them. Voting SF would be equally stupid. I'm sure you will agree

No I don't agree and I don't understand your first sentence

Harold Disgracey

I shall be voting Sinn Fein 1,2,3 in the Armagh DEA I shall give a preference to the stoops and Alliance, Aontu can go f**k themselves. The primary reason for this is it is the best chance of depriving the DUP of a seat. I make no bones about this.