More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:32:23 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 25, 2019, 06:11:25 PM
The DUP would prefer the dictatorship of direct rule rather than have a fenian about the place.

SF seem to be facilitating them though- with K Bradley as the inept dictator
I would rather direct rule than returning to a DUP controlled Stormont.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Exactly. Not one compromise have they ever made. Not one.

nrico2006

Its pathetic seeing the politicians using this girls death for their own agenda as well as even using it as a reason to sort stormont out. A functioning executive wouldnt have stopped this from happening and they have had no intetest in restoring power sharing for the past 2 years.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

smelmoth

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 26, 2019, 02:49:14 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 11:41:06 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:18:33 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 25, 2019, 04:57:25 PM
I see from the posts on here that many on the board are bought into the equal blame on both SF and the DUP. But lets remember that SF had a compromise agreement, which parked the issues some of you now want dropped completely. They rightly were taken top task by the Pro Choice/Irish Language/LGBT groups. Even at that the hard line DUP base couldn't wear it. If SF now go back to this deal that didn't secure rights as promised they would be slaughtered at the polls and their opponents would including the SDLP would make hay. Bottom line is and I will repeat it the DUP and UUP do not get equality or parity of esteem. Fr Magill's well intentioned remarks perpetuate the myth of parity of blame.

Post a link to the SF compromise agreement to to see what they were compromising on and on what terms. And what they weren't compromising on.

Could be a high moral ground and electoral dividend for those prepared to compromise now though probably best to wait a few weeks and pretend that it was their idea rather than a reaction to recent events and the public mood

This is what I'm on about
Widely reported by Eamon Malley and Brian Rowan, watered down ILA and abortion and LGBT rights left to future arrangements.
In these wide reports what was it watered down from and watered down to?

Why has the agreement not been published? What exactly have Malley and Rowan actually seem? If it was the agreement surely they would have published it?

smelmoth

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 26, 2019, 03:47:34 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 07:32:23 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 25, 2019, 06:11:25 PM
The DUP would prefer the dictatorship of direct rule rather than have a fenian about the place.

SF seem to be facilitating them though- with K Bradley as the inept dictator
I would rather direct rule than returning to a DUP controlled Stormont.

So who are you voting for?

smelmoth

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2019, 04:06:37 PM

I feel the same about them. As a consequence I have never voted for them. I recommend that you do the same. But who are you going to vote for?

smelmoth

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 26, 2019, 04:18:07 PM
Its pathetic seeing the politicians using this girls death for their own agenda as well as even using it as a reason to sort stormont out. A functioning executive wouldnt have stopped this from happening and they have had no intetest in restoring power sharing for the past 2 years.

Don't have a problem with what the 2 governments are at. They know the parties are too embarrassed to resist. I have a doubt that this particular UK government will dedicate the required resource but let's see

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: smelmoth on April 26, 2019, 05:41:58 PM

I feel the same about them. As a consequence I have never voted for them. I recommend that you do the same. But who are you going to vote for?

Who are you voting for
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Itchy

I see from the posts on here that many on the board are bought into the equal blame on both SF and the DUP. But lets remember that SF had a compromise agreement, which parked the issues some of you now want dropped completely. They rightly were taken top task by the Pro Choice/Irish Language/LGBT groups. Even at that the hard line DUP base couldn't wear it. If SF now go back to this deal that didn't secure rights as promised they would be slaughtered at the polls and their opponents would including the SDLP would make hay. Bottom line is and I will repeat it the DUP and UUP do not get equality or parity of esteem. Fr Magill's well intentioned remarks perpetuate the myth of parity of blame.

100% right. No parity of esteem when dealing with right wing religious zealots against rights for gay community and compromise of any sort and who have never said anything but no to every effort at peace on this island.

imtommygunn

I will do the same. Not sure who I am going to vote for. I am talking about the dup. I would sooner cut my arm off than vote for them ;D

marty34

There seems to be 2 trains of thought on here:

1. No return to Stormont for the reasons stated e.g. DUP bad faith, inequality and a general lack of respect for nationalists going back over the years.  You could also theough in their current links to loyalists etc.

2. Those, who I presume are mostly nationalists, who oppose SF.

I've asked this question before a few times but nobody has really gave an answer.

People are great at castgating political parties and politicians etc. but are not great at saying what they are for.

If not SF, what type of party should be formed and why? How would they differ?

I understand AontĂș are testing the water in the local elections in the north.  Are they a credible option for nationalists?

smelmoth

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 26, 2019, 06:24:05 PM

Who are you voting for

Primarily Alliance. Looks like there is going to be at least 1 credible independent candidate in the European election. I'll throw a vote down the order for anyone who is prepared to work for it AND has some progressive vision. My total number of votes for SF and DUP in all elections will be zero

smelmoth

Quote from: Itchy on April 26, 2019, 06:48:08 PM

100% right. No parity of esteem when dealing with right wing religious zealots against rights for gay community and compromise of any sort and who have never said anything but no to every effort at peace on this island.

Do don't vote for them. Voting SF would be equally stupid. I'm sure you will agree

smelmoth

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 26, 2019, 06:56:03 PM

I will do the same. Not sure who I am going to vote for. I am talking about the dup. I would sooner cut my arm off than vote for them ;D

I'm also talking about DUP. Who ARE you voting for?

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on April 26, 2019, 07:24:44 PM
There seems to be 2 trains of thought on here:

1. No return to Stormont for the reasons stated e.g. DUP bad faith, inequality and a general lack of respect for nationalists going back over the years.  You could also theough in their current links to loyalists etc.

2. Those, who I presume are mostly nationalists, who oppose SF.

I've asked this question before a few times but nobody has really gave an answer.

People are great at castgating political parties and politicians etc. but are not great at saying what they are for.

If not SF, what type of party should be formed and why? How would they differ
I understand AontĂș are testing the water in the local elections in the north.  Are they a credible option for nationalists?

What about a party committed to making this place work and not obsessed with green and orange and borders? Anyway what about an answer to my ILA question????