More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

I intend voting SF1, TUV2, SF3, TUV4. Given I'm probably the only person in the history of the world that would vote that way I'm able to watch my vote as it moves from count to count.
Careful now

playwiththewind1st

Never mind council transfers, Dougal. Wouldn't it be great to have Michelle O'Neill & Jim Allister running OFMDFM together - dream ticket?

smelmoth

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 27, 2019, 10:48:06 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 27, 2019, 07:36:56 AM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 27, 2019, 12:40:25 AM
I shall be voting Sinn Fein 1,2,3 in the Armagh DEA I shall give a preference to the stoops and Alliance, Aontu can go f**k themselves. The primary reason for this is it is the best chance of depriving the DUP of a seat. I make no bones about this.
1. Well done for your honesty. Genuinely appreciated
2. Interesting that you don't point to a single policy objective as a reason to vote SF
3. Interesting that you don't point to any level of performance delivery on a policy issue as a reason to vote SF
4. There is a way of playing noughts and crosses that guarantees that the other side can't win. The problem is that by putting your cross in those boxes you rule out any chance of you winning. Maybe aim higher when voting. In a zero sum game what we hand on to the next generation won't be any better than what we have today
Not that it is any f**king concern of yours who I vote for but I am an Irish Republican with very liberal views on abortion, same sex marriage etc. I don't necessarily agree with everything the shinners stand for but I always vote and they are the party that most closely represents my views so they'll get my first preference, there is no alternative.

It was a civil question. Thank you for the response.

What is the SF councillor or MEP going to do to advance the cause of a United ireland?
What do you make of the SF performance on housing and education?

smelmoth

Quote from: general_lee on April 27, 2019, 12:45:29 PM
I vote Sinn Fein for largely the same reasons as Harold Disgracey. In the event of a united ireland I imagine I'd stop voting for them and probably vote Greens. I despise the DUP and pretty much everything they stand for. For all this lazy analysis of how they and SF are two sides of the same dirty coin, where else in the civilised world, other than the most backward backwaters would a party like the DUP get so much support. A bunch of xenophobic, homophobic, sectarian, bigoted, right-wing British nationalists are the biggest party here. After the whole Brexit debacle I just want a border poll and hope to god we get out of this toxic union.

So you would vote for a SF councillor or MEP to help achieve a UI and then at that point vote for someone else! What do think this councillor or MEP is going to do to achieve a UI?

How would you vote in a Stormont election in a United Ireland?

michaelg

Quote from: smelmoth on April 27, 2019, 02:15:33 PM
I vote Sinn Fein for largely the same reasons as Harold Disgracey. In the event of a united ireland I imagine I'd stop voting for them and probably vote Greens. I despise the DUP and pretty much everything they stand for. For all this lazy analysis of how they and SF are two sides of the same dirty coin, where else in the civilised world, other than the most backward backwaters would a party like the DUP get so much support. A bunch of xenophobic, homophobic, sectarian, bigoted, right-wing British nationalists are the biggest party here. After the whole Brexit debacle I just want a border poll and hope to god we get out of this toxic union.

So you would vote for a SF councillor or MEP to help achieve a UI and then at that point vote for someone else! What do think this councillor or MEP is going to do to achieve a UI?

I think he is hoping / assuming that Stormont will be rubble by then.

Rossfan

As people from the 6 Cos will still be entitled to the same GFA citizenship provisions in an All Ireland State it's fair to assume there will be a local Assembly/Administration there.

Re not voting the whole ballot paper affecting the quota .....
Unless the 6 Co system is different the Quota is based on the Total Valid poll divided by the number of seats plus 1 ( e.g ÷5 in a 4 seater and so on) and remains at that figure tgrough all the counts.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

nrico2006

When they catch Lyra McKees killer, will he be charged with murder?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on April 27, 2019, 04:06:28 PM
As people from the 6 Cos will still be entitled to the same GFA citizenship provisions in an All Ireland State it's fair to assume there will be a local Assembly/Administration there.

Unless the 6 Co system is different the Quota is based on the Total Valid poll divided by the number of seats plus 1 ( e.g ÷5 in a 4 seater and so on) and remains at that figure tgrough all the counts.

It's the same in the north.

RedHand88

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 27, 2019, 01:22:16 PM
I intend voting SF1, TUV2, SF3, TUV4. Given I'm probably the only person in the history of the world that would vote that way I'm able to watch my vote as it moves from count to count.

I've done tallying before and you would be surprised at what pops up.

playwiththewind1st

Who ever thought that tallying was so exciting??

smelmoth

Quote from: michaelg on April 27, 2019, 03:22:09 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on April 27, 2019, 02:15:33 PM

I think he is hoping / assuming that Stormont will be rubble by then.

He is hardly that stupid.

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on April 27, 2019, 04:06:28 PM

That's right. I should have put "quota" in quotes or better still not used it. The effect is to reduce the number of votes it takes to get a candidate elected since there are fewer transferable votes. This applies, of course, not to your individual vote but happens if significant numbers of people don't vote all the way down the ballot.

Wildweasel74

Having a border poll and winning one is another matter. After a weeks holiday down here. I can't believe the cost of food in the shops., Scandalous. The cost of comparative foods is ridiculous. Add in run down schools(yes even worst than up north) doctor and medical bills, higher tax rates and poorer pensions, No politician can make a sensible argument for a united Ireland, on those grounds to someone else who doesnt see through the green tinted glasses 75% of the posters here have for a united Ireland, no matter how poor circumstances may become. Its hard enough to pay of mortgage etc as is. Only plus for down south is a superior road network.
Would I vote for a united Ireland, probably yes,  but there be enough sensible voters to vote against my moment of madness. A united Ireland still at least 20yrs off and that's been kind.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

clarshack

The Independent lad from Coalisland Dan Kerr is the only candidate to have knocked on my door so far. I think he might do ok. The arrogance of SF is shocking tbh.