Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOC1923

All teams at the weekend were well conditioned agreed, one other thing I couldn't help notice was that other counties had no problem playing younger players. Daragh Canavan (Tyrone), Oisin Gallen (Donegal), Ethan Doherty, Paul Cassidy (Derry). All no more than 19/20. Would love to see Antrims best youth thrown in there like that. 2-3 of our decent U20s team would be starting this Saturday if we were looking ahead to the future.

bannside

I'd say Saturday night isnt the time to be thinking about certain Antrim players futures. Maybe best leaving that until the Mc Kenna cup or the next panel, bring half a dozen of them into the squad and let them fight for their places. Not saying some of them arnt good enough, but let them go into the existing mix and let them prove it. They will get their chance if they are good enough.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 02, 2020, 01:09:21 PM
All teams at the weekend were well conditioned agreed, one other thing I couldn't help notice was that other counties had no problem playing younger players. Daragh Canavan (Tyrone), Oisin Gallen (Donegal), Ethan Doherty, Paul Cassidy (Derry). All no more than 19/20. Would love to see Antrims best youth thrown in there like that. 2-3 of our decent U20s team would be starting this Saturday if we were looking ahead to the future.

I've ref'd a right few games and by your own words all teams were well conditioned, by the same token these lads that are well conditioned are young, as I look around the county we've maybe one lad at that age would be physically conditioned...

We don't have them, and unless they start conditioning at school age, as they are going elsewhere around the country we'll be left behind.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Good point MR. I would go a step further and say that the vast majority of inter county players would have been benefitting from structured strength and conditioning programmes in their schools from about 14/15 and upwards. Thats is, in a properly fitted out modern school gymnasium....or by arrangement eith a local gym owner.

They go from there to their clubs who more than likely also have this provision in place.

If that player goes through a county development squad process from 15 -18 all players S&C needs will be catered for or overseen by a designated S&C professional who will co ordinate and oversee individual player conditioning needs.

THATS 3 VERY PROMINENT OPPORTUNITIES that currently exist in other counties, for any player aspiring to play at the top level. I wonder how many current Antrim senior players managed to avail of that same opportunity during the key stages of their physical development years.

What annoys me far more than anything is that af least there is a joined up approach to these key aspects of player development in other counties. But sadly, no such policy exists in Antrim. If Ciaran Mc Cavanagh is remotely serious about developing football in the county, he will oversee the implementarion of a structured plan for football. You can be absolutely 100% guaranteed that there is one in place for hurling.

Thats right....there is a director of hurling in place....but not for football!  This in itself is a disgrace and must become an absolute priority if Antrim are to make any form of tangible progress in the coming years.

EOC1923

Just noticed last night a podcast with the director of hurling on Saffcast. As you say complete disgrace there isn't a similar structure in football.

antrimman667

Make or Break for Lenny this weekend guys? Or do you think he deserves another year?

imtommygunn

I think like others have said this was as long as he was going to stay anyway?

Cavan are a funny one. I don't think we should be frightened of them. We have a much better chance than we would have had against Monaghan imo. Cavan still strong favourites mind you.

Yeah as people say I think our conditioning is quite far away from what "top" county teams have. I don't think Cavan would be as far advanced as some either as they seem to have a lot of churn in players and things like conditioning are helped massively by continuity in squads and management.

asaffgael

Any teams news yet? Do we expect any surprises?

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 03, 2020, 01:31:47 PM
Just noticed last night a podcast with the director of hurling on Saffcast. As you say complete disgrace there isn't a similar structure in football.

Listened to it myself and i was wondering if there was a similar set up within the football set up? From listening to Neal the S&C will be involved with the football or did i pick that up wrong?
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on November 04, 2020, 01:53:16 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on November 03, 2020, 01:31:47 PM

Listened to it myself and i was wondering if there was a similar set up within the football set up? From listening to Neal the S&C will be involved with the football or did i pick that up wrong?

The teams were doing all S&C all year anyways. Is this going to be a collective pre season thing ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Some good hurling people in Antrim have rightly got together and put decent structures in place that lead to leaving Antrim hurling in a much better place. Its backed by county management committee all the way and funded where possible, with added financial involvement of corporate (or personal) generosity. Fair play indeed to everyone involved in this worthwhile initiative and hopefully our hurlers grow from strength to strength.

Is it too much to ask for a level playing field for football so that it can begin to put 50 years in the sporting wilderness behind it and look forward with optimism?

To be very honest this is something that should have been put in place long before now, and whilst the men behind Saffron Vision got through a lot of quality work, unfortunately they failed miserably to provide any meaningful strategy for county football at all.

This should now be priority number one for our current county management committee...or at the very least appoint a relevant sub committee of football people to make their own recomendations on the way ahead.

NAG1

Quote from: bannside on November 04, 2020, 02:46:06 PM
Some good hurling people in Antrim have rightly got together and put decent structures in place that lead to leaving Antrim hurling in a much better place. Its backed by county management committee all the way and funded where possible, with added financial involvement of corporate (or personal) generosity. Fair play indeed to everyone involved in this worthwhile initiative and hopefully our hurlers grow from strength to strength.

Is it too much to ask for a level playing field for football so that it can begin to put 50 years in the sporting wilderness behind it and look forward with optimism?

To be very honest this is something that should have been put in place long before now, and whilst the men behind Saffron Vision got through a lot of quality work, unfortunately they failed miserably to provide any meaningful strategy for county football at all.

This should now be priority number one for our current county management committee...or at the very least appoint a relevant sub committee of football people to make their own recomendations on the way ahead.

Is the answer to your question not already in your statement?

where are same said football men?

bannside

There are plenty of good football men Nag. Why do you ask?

NAG1

Quote from: bannside on November 04, 2020, 03:29:16 PM

I am just wondering why these plenty of good football men havent done the same as the hurling lads did a number of years ago?

Genuine question.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on November 04, 2020, 03:46:39 PM
Quote from: bannside on November 04, 2020, 03:29:16 PM

I am just wondering why these plenty of good football men havent done the same as the hurling lads did a number of years ago?

Genuine question.

I've no idea how its done but lets say there is a benefactor that is willing to put together a package that will allow them to put in place the right men and set up required to produce a successful team, now there are plenty of clubs that have done this, some have been successful with that and some not so much.

If behind the Antrim set up there is someone doing that, then its not the county's call I'd say, if the benefactor is only prepared to do it for the hurling team then is that wrong and should we not accept it?

Again I've no idea if that is the case.

The counties budget will be the same for each team, anything that comes in from an outside person will go to that team can't be helped, as NAG said, some great Antrim football men out there who could, if they want, put up the same package that would certainly give it a boost..