Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: SamFever on October 15, 2015, 10:36:05 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on October 15, 2015, 09:54:47 PM
Quote from: SamFever on October 15, 2015, 09:02:11 PM
And Gormless Danny (thinks he's God) Murphy looking as stupid as ever👿

I have no axe to grind nor am I casting aspersions but I would be interested to know what your problem with Danny Murphy is? Just curious.
His demeanour and the whole Casement fiasco just amuses and disappoints me.

Judging people on their demeanour...that's really smart.
The Aristocrat Years

SamFever

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 15, 2015, 11:31:22 PM

I have no axe to grind nor am I casting aspersions but I would be interested to know what your problem with Danny Murphy is? Just curious.

As smart as your mention of James McCartan as the new Minor Manager which may turn out to be true but you never answered any of the queries on it after you posted.

5 Sams

Queries??? You were the only one that questioned it. Sorry I don't know who you are and I apologise for not providing you with a full run down of where I get my information from. Don't worry. If I get another "scoop" I'll be the first to PM you with my sources of information.
The Aristocrat Years

Petergriffin1

The u21 campaign kicks off on Sunday I believe. Who we think will win this? Point favourites?

Don Johnson

Quote from: SamFever on October 15, 2015, 11:49:43 PM

As smart as your mention of James McCartan as the new Minor Manager which may turn out to be true but you never answered any of the queries on it after you posted.

Seems he was spot on, this article was from last week though and still no confirmation.

http://gaeliclife.com/2015/10/james-mccartan-set-to-be-appointed-as-down-minor-manager/

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Don Johnson on October 16, 2015, 10:15:52 AM
Quote from: SamFever on October 15, 2015, 11:49:43 PM

Seems he was spot on, this article was from last week though and still no confirmation.

http://gaeliclife.com/2015/10/james-mccartan-set-to-be-appointed-as-down-minor-manager/

The article sounds like it was taken from info on this site.

Downgaa88

It was confirmed. Mccartan is the new Minor manager. Read up lads instead of constantly speculating

http://www.hoganstand.com/Down/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=245617

NP 76

Would this not need to go to a vote by the clubs for ratification

6th sam

Another away draw for UFC.
Our remarkable run of away draws must be some sort of record.
Despite the obvious disadvantage in playing away from home, we have had several
Impressive performances away from home in recent years, and from semi-final onwards we'll not be at home anyway, but the other disadvantage of an away draw is the loss of marketing/publicity/promotion potential of a home USFC game in Newry. I think reconsideration of an alternative draw, even a two year cycle with a reversed home venue for the following year, is necessary, as we have definitely missed out on hosting glamour championship ties in our excellent newry venue.

SamFever

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 16, 2015, 12:01:53 AM
Queries??? You were the only one that questioned it. Sorry I don't know who you are and I apologise for not providing you with a full run down of where I get my information from. Don't worry. If I get another "scoop" I'll be the first to PM you with my sources of information.
Nor will you ever have the pleasure of knowing me,but I know you.

PAULD123

Well done Samfever on knowing 5Sams. I don't know him personally myself but I could if I wanted to, he's not exactly secretive. But if it makes you feel smug then I hope it gives you a happy weekend.

Maybe we could dispense with the childishness and get back to discussing football. Does anyone want to venture their opinion on what a new manager could do to sort out or glaring issues at county level - Complete midfield subjugation and consistent failure to create as many scoring opportunities than any given opposition (Westmeath aside)?

whitegoodman

I think the issues are more than just midfield.

We aren't too bad for keepers, Kane, Harrison Cunningham should suffice here depending on who is in the best form and can adhere to tactics.

We could do with a couple of corner backs and a commanding fullback.  Two or three of the Brannigan brothers would be worth a try for the corner back spots and Gerard McGovern is worth a shot a full back although I would slightly worry about pace with him.

I'd love to see Darren O Hagan and Ryan Johnston played as athletic, adventurous wing backs who at the same time would still have the pace to defend properly.  With our difficulties in defence we could do with a Cian O Sullivan type sweeper, Conor Garvey has the potential to play such role or maybe Peter Turley.

Midfield as said is a world of trouble and even in his 30s Dan Gordon is in a league of his own in Down and the new manager should again try to accommodate him in whatever way is required to get him back.  I'd play McKernan beside him for a few reasons. a) he has played his best football for Down there b) he isn't disciplined enough to play in defence and c) as shown twice against Kilcoo this year he is too easily marked in the forward line.

If Marty comes back then a lot patience will need to be shown to him but hopefully come championship time he could be back to his brilliant best.  I'd love two athletic, tall wing forwards who could get up and  down the field and also be kickout options.  Ryan Mallon is a possibility here but I'm struggling for another one.  Possibly Ryan Johnston with Ciaran McCartan or Garvey at wing back.

IMO Jerome is the most dangerous and potent forward in the county at min and is a must in the FF line ahead of O Hare and Laverty.  I'd give Shay McArdle a go beside him or even Arthur is worth a look from the start for a few games.  Laverty or O hare depending on who fills the role better would then be in the other corner drifting out to play as a second playmaker beside Marty.

Some of yas would probably rip that team to shreds but it's all about opinions.

I don't have much knowledge of div 2 or 3 admittedly and if there are players there worth a look then great.  However without trying to sound condescending (which I probably will anyway), scoring 2-4 in a junior final isn't going to excite me greatly. Ok lets see if he has improved from his previous stint with the county but I won't be holding my breath.

As for the first division the majority of the players that should be there are there give or take a few with the Brannigans etc.  Joe Murphy might be worth a look but he is too small for midfield at county level and not sure he has the defensive or self discipline to play wing half back.  Still prob worth a look though.

Finally I like the appointment of James as minor manager but would hope he has a selector who is either in the schools system or experience at watching minor football for the last few years.

Ed Hardy

Quote from: whitegoodman on October 16, 2015, 10:17:07 PM
I think the issues are more than just midfield.

We aren't too bad for keepers, Kane, Harrison Cunningham should suffice here depending on who is in the best form and can adhere to tactics.

We could do with a couple of corner backs and a commanding fullback.  Two or three of the Brannigan brothers would be worth a try for the corner back spots and Gerard McGovern is worth a shot a full back although I would slightly worry about pace with him.

I'd love to see Darren O Hagan and Ryan Johnston played as athletic, adventurous wing backs who at the same time would still have the pace to defend properly.  With our difficulties in defence we could do with a Cian O Sullivan type sweeper, Conor Garvey has the potential to play such role or maybe Peter Turley.

Midfield as said is a world of trouble and even in his 30s Dan Gordon is in a league of his own in Down and the new manager should again try to accommodate him in whatever way is required to get him back.  I'd play McKernan beside him for a few reasons. a) he has played his best football for Down there b) he isn't disciplined enough to play in defence and c) as shown twice against Kilcoo this year he is too easily marked in the forward line.

If Marty comes back then a lot patience will need to be shown to him but hopefully come championship time he could be back to his brilliant best.  I'd love two athletic, tall wing forwards who could get up and  down the field and also be kickout options.  Ryan Mallon is a possibility here but I'm struggling for another one.  Possibly Ryan Johnston with Ciaran McCartan or Garvey at wing back.

IMO Jerome is the most dangerous and potent forward in the county at min and is a must in the FF line ahead of O Hare and Laverty.  I'd give Shay McArdle a go beside him or even Arthur is worth a look from the start for a few games.  Laverty or O hare depending on who fills the role better would then be in the other corner drifting out to play as a second playmaker beside Marty.

Some of yas would probably rip that team to shreds but it's all about opinions.

I don't have much knowledge of div 2 or 3 admittedly and if there are players there worth a look then great.  However without trying to sound condescending (which I probably will anyway), scoring 2-4 in a junior final isn't going to excite me greatly. Ok lets see if he has improved from his previous stint with the county but I won't be holding my breath.

As for the first division the majority of the players that should be there are there give or take a few with the Brannigans etc.  Joe Murphy might be worth a look but he is too small for midfield at county level and not sure he has the defensive or self discipline to play wing half back.  Still prob worth a look though.

Finally I like the appointment of James as minor manager but would hope he has a selector who is either in the schools system or experience at watching minor football for the last few years.

I'd love to see O Hagan playing at WHB. but then come the Monaghan game he's the best option to pick up Conor Mc Manus.

Gordon/Kane
O'Hagan
Garvey
D Brannigan
R Mallon
N Mc Parland
Aaron Brannigan
D Gordan
K Mc Kernan
R Johnston
M Clarke
C Mooney
J Johnson
S Mc Ardle
C Mc Cartan (playing as sweeper)

Hard to leave Laverty and O Hare out, but options off the bench...
ridicule away! 

snoopdog

Will McCommiskey make himself available again for Down.  Without doubt a quality footballer .

NP 76

He apparently made himself available last year but Jim didn't think we needed him. Surely the 2 Toners from Burren should be given a chance along with Davud Mc Kibben from Bryansford