Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy06

Suppose I would be classed as one of the "lurkers"! Tend to prefer reading other people's viewpoints on things, which more often than not would relate to mine anyways. Also, being away from the county and having a young family limits the amount i can get to games so dont think its fair to comment on something i only get second hand info on.

My views on the league as a whole are that progress has definately been made. As Unlaoised mentioned we have blooded a lot of new players, some of which look at home in the starting 15 already in Gareth Dillon and Robbie Piggott. I hope these two in particular and Eoin Lowry keep their place in the team for the game against Wexford. Win, lose or draw it will give them valuable experience of the cut and thrust of championship football. It should also raise the game of the more established players who would not have the easy ride to the first 15 as they seemed to have in the past and (you would hope) burst a gut to get back into the team when given a chance.
End of the day the goal at the start of the year was achieved, we got promoted after winning Division 4. We played some awesome stuff in first half against Carlow but you can see that we are a work in progress. That will only come after another year or two with John at the helm.
The kickouts I feel have been a problem for a number of years and the lack of people showing for it is telling. This like other areas (use of the ball when in possession for example) are something that would probably take a good year to get to grips with.
Its always the second year that you see the real improvements in a managerial setup (think McGeeney at Kildare and Gilroy at Dublin who were brutal in the first year), but there is definately grounds for optimism!

Unlaoised

Quote from: Andy06 on April 12, 2018, 01:48:14 PM
Suppose I would be classed as one of the "lurkers"! Tend to prefer reading other people's viewpoints on things, which more often than not would relate to mine anyways. Also, being away from the county and having a young family limits the amount i can get to games so dont think its fair to comment on something i only get second hand info on.

My views on the league as a whole are that progress has definately been made. As Unlaoised mentioned we have blooded a lot of new players, some of which look at home in the starting 15 already in Gareth Dillon and Robbie Piggott. I hope these two in particular and Eoin Lowry keep their place in the team for the game against Wexford. Win, lose or draw it will give them valuable experience of the cut and thrust of championship football. It should also raise the game of the more established players who would not have the easy ride to the first 15 as they seemed to have in the past and (you would hope) burst a gut to get back into the team when given a chance.
End of the day the goal at the start of the year was achieved, we got promoted after winning Division 4. We played some awesome stuff in first half against Carlow but you can see that we are a work in progress. That will only come after another year or two with John at the helm.
The kickouts I feel have been a problem for a number of years and the lack of people showing for it is telling. This like other areas (use of the ball when in possession for example) are something that would probably take a good year to get to grips with.
Its always the second year that you see the real improvements in a managerial setup (think McGeeney at Kildare and Gilroy at Dublin who were brutal in the first year), but there is definately grounds for optimism!

Thats a good post Andy ...You should get on here more....

If we all just looked and nobody posted it would be fair boring...

I Love nothing move than coming on here for five for ten minutes some days and seeing loads of activity (not silly arguments however)

Laois Abu!!!

LAOIS ABÚ

O moore parklife

Looks like Colm Murphy has left the panel to play ball in America this year.

Unlaoised

Quote from: O moore parklife on April 15, 2018, 10:40:56 PM

I heard that ...Big loss for his club as well
LAOIS ABÚ

The Monument Road

I'm hearing that other young players are doing the same. Young Cathal Dunne from Ballylinan and Arron Cooney from Josephs are also heading stateside. Whats alarming is the type of transfers they are getting. Its the permanent inter county transfer. Have the rules changed away from the old J1 or the 30/60 day rule where players come back for the local championship.

Unlaoised

Quote from: The Monument Road on April 17, 2018, 09:39:38 AM
I'm hearing that other young players are doing the same. Young Cathal Dunne from Ballylinan and Arron Cooney from Josephs are also heading stateside. Whats alarming is the type of transfers they are getting. Its the permanent inter county transfer. Have the rules changed away from the old J1 or the 30/60 day rule where players come back for the local championship.

Not sure but I think the rules are different....

Murphy could kick with New York this summer I'm hearing!
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoiseabu

Challenge game vs Meath on Tuesday night at half seven in Graiguecullen. All money going towards Daniel O Reilly's recovery. Should be a tricky test all the same Meath would be a fair step up from the teams we have faced so far, looking foward to it .

Laois fan

Tough game and for a very worthy cause but with a full round of club fixtures on saturday night and another round on thursday night 3games in 5 days seems alot to ask the county lads,can see a good few not togging for their clubs which wont go down well

Unlaoised

Quote from: Laois fan on April 18, 2018, 01:43:38 PM
Tough game and for a very worthy cause but with a full round of club fixtures on saturday night and another round on thursday night 3games in 5 days seems alot to ask the county lads,can see a good few not togging for their clubs which wont go down well

This....The players will be wrecked with club games and county training!
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

It's for a good cause, it's a challenge against decent opposition and they would have been training anyhow. Give most of the lads some game time. Can't see the problem.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The PRO

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 19, 2018, 03:29:59 PM

This....The players will be wrecked with club games and county training!
It's up to management to manage the players workload. I'd imagine in the Meath game most lads will only play half thge game with the usual clatter of subs being used.
Great to see lads out there with their clubs. Some of them have been excellent in games I saw.

Clubber Lang

Would the system being trailed in Monaghan for their own county league be worth experimenting with. Has added a championship feel to those designated 5 pointer league games in Monaghan and county players, clubs and supporters all seem to have responded very positively to it. A couple of intensive league games surely beneficial to players in lead up to championship- develop match sharpness and raise intensity levels.   

From the Terrace

Id be of the opinion two weeks before wexford game, There after playing a few league games with clubs. Leave them with county and give the wexford game all the focus.