Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

QuoteThe type of players coming through now are good enough to win an Ulster in the next two years.

Are you serious?  I doubt that Antrim have the 'type of players' to win Ulster, and I am sure that these 'type of players' were there and playing against the like of Waterford, and getting beat.  It's easy to blame JG for not lifting Antrim from Division 4, but its the players on the pitch who ultimately had to do the job - did they not have to get a point or a win just from their last 2 league games last year?  New managers always bring a certain optimism, and Bakers appointment obviously has increased the expectations but too much should not be read into Sundays result or performance - an Antrim side highly motivated and out to impress the new management were up against an Armagh side that was in 3rd gear.  Was nothing learnt from the Walsh Cup this time last year?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

I agree with Nrico, this kind of talk does nobody any favours. What can you base a statement like that on Bannside?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

Bannside I like to be positive about things but there is just no way in the world that Antrim have the players to, in 2 years, win an ulster title.

We haven't got a strong ball winning midfielder - Michael McCann is a very good ball playing midfielder - we don't have a good full back line and the good forwards we have need a lot of weight training. You can't win an ulster - or close - with that.

It's good to see younger players playing sigerson and the 22/23 year olds we have are of good quality but ulster no.

Remember fermanagh got to league semis and ai semis. There's experience in their team.

We need to try to get to the top 5 in ulster. That's a positive step. Currently we're 9.

bannside

Minder, you are far too quick off the mark there.

I base my assertion on the fact that there are much better types of young players coming through than ever before.

Are you asking me to provide a bit more detail on this?

And Nrico, what exactly do you know about the new generation of Antrim senior Footballers that allows you to say with such certainty that they dont posess the talent necessary for a real tilt in the next two years?

imtommygunn

Bannside what have they done and minor and u21 to show this??

Granted last years u21 was a farce and not entirely down to the players.

The best we can say though is that had we had Crozier and McGourty in the u21 a few years ago we COULD have beat tyrone.

lynchbhoy

fecking hell lads, you dont have to have the talent of kerryin order to win a few games.
Cavan in 97 were poor enough but won an ulster - prob due to new coaching, discipline and selection from motivated manager martin whingeface mchugh.
IMO Tyrone without Mickey harte would be sliding into div 2 and back where they came from very quickly.
(they also dont have a midfielder it would seem,in any of all their Ireland wins but they cope well without it based on different ball winning strategies)

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 06, 2009, 11:47:14 AM
fecking hell lads, you dont have to have the talent of kerryin order to win a few games.
Cavan in 97 were poor enough but won an ulster - prob due to new coaching, discipline and selection from motivated manager martin whingeface mchugh.
IMO Tyrone without Mickey harte would be sliding into div 2 and back where they came from very quickly.
(they also dont have a midfielder it would seem,in any of all their Ireland wins but they cope well without it based on different ball winning strategies)

Jez LB you still in dream land. Tyrone senior team is based on a group of players who won 1 All Ireland minor and 2 U21 All Ireland titles, also Cavan got to the fibal of the u21 All Ireland in 96, and also the Ulster senior final of 95 before 97 arrived. Any team that i see who has won anything has some underage success in the process.

culchie11

look boys, as i have said before if we can start competing with teams for 60 mins it will be a very positive step!!
then kick on from there, you have to learn how to compete for the hour first.
you cant expect to beat a team by playing for 15 or 20 mins in a match!!

the cavan game will tell us more, its one i hope and expect us to win!!

i hear sean mcveigh had a superb game at full back, would like to see how big benny hasson and mick would play together!!
mick has a great footballing brain.
alot of positives to take out of sundays match.
with cj, sean kelly, paddy cunningham, andy mcclean and a few more due back for the league, makes good reading!!

bannside what do you make of the idea of all county minor and u16 leagues!!

amigo

Quote from: culchie11 on January 06, 2009, 12:03:02 PM
look boys, as i have said before if we can start competing with teams for 60 mins it will be a very positive step!!
then kick on from there, you have to learn how to compete for the hour first.
you cant expect to beat a team by playing for 15 or 20 mins in a match!!

the cavan game will tell us more, its one i hope and expect us to win!!

i hear sean mcveigh had a superb game at full back, would like to see how big benny hasson and mick would play together!!
mick has a great footballing brain.
alot of positives to take out of sundays match.
with cj, sean kelly, paddy cunningham, andy mcclean and a few more due back for the league, makes good reading!!

bannside what do you make of the idea of all county minor and u16 leagues!!

I thought all county games were 70 mins!!

bannside

Max, Bellaghy dont win much at juvenile level, but that dosent stop them producing decent senior teams!

Also, just because we havent actually WON silverware at juvenile - u-21 level, dosent mean that there werent some seriously good results/performances along the way. Do I need to go into a bit more detail on this to justify this?

My model/template is still Fermanagh.

Did Mickey Culberts team not play them off the pitch in Enniskillen a few years ago. Still a mystery how we lost that one.

But Fermanagh football gets lit up by a top class management team of O Rourke/McBride, and in their first year get within one point of a first ever Anglo-Celt. You can bet your life Fermanagh will be stronger this year for that experience.

Whats more, O Rourke gets total support, backing and approval for a whole list of pre conditions, designed to allow Fermanagh a level playing field in terms of proper preparation on a Tyrone/Armagh scale.

What did we get?

A manager totally un-proven and out of his depth at this level, and a county chairman who didnt/dosent buy in to Antrim Football at all.
And still dosent.

We get what we deserve gentlemen. We are last in Ulster because we havent the mindset to think any different. Its time to change that.

This generation will take us to a higher level than ever before, if they are treated properly. And I dont mean at Eaton Park, or with self installed floodlights at Woodlands. Or with u-21 managers who dont give a toss. Or a Chairman who cant see this.

culchie11

I thought all county games were 70 mins!!
[/quote]

same shit different shovel!!
away and find your other 2 mates!!! ;)

u21 management team this year is john mcneill, mickey johnston & a fella mckenna from the city think hes st johns(not sure if got his name right).

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 06, 2009, 11:52:12 AM

Jez LB you still in dream land. Tyrone senior team is based on a group of players who won 1 All Ireland minor and 2 U21 All Ireland titles, also Cavan got to the fibal of the u21 All Ireland in 96, and also the Ulster senior final of 95 before 97 arrived. Any team that i see who has won anything has some underage success in the process.
....so their previous u21 successes, what were they
Derry won u21, minors etc where did that lead
cork and laois have won minor, u21 - still no big sign of either doing fcuk all
plenty more examples of teams that win minor and u21 and end up doing nothing in senior to more or less conclude that tyrones minor and u21 wins were almost co-incidental ! Sure wasnt the star of a couple of those teams Gerard cavlan who couldnt get his starting place on the senior side...
Derrys minor win in 89 yielded just two on the senior AI winning 93 side.... hardly compelling evidence
Donegal had nothing to draw from...Likewise dublin....

I still say that a good manager will maximise the resources at his disposal. Fermanagh and monaghan would be prime examples along with tyrone
imo

think its you doing the day dreaming max !

amigo

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 06, 2009, 12:41:18 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 06, 2009, 11:52:12 AM

....so their previous u21 successes, what were they
Derry won u21, minors etc where did that lead
cork and laois have won minor, u21 - still no big sign of either doing fcuk all
plenty more examples of teams that win minor and u21 and end up doing nothing in senior to more or less conclude that tyrones minor and u21 wins were almost co-incidental ! Sure wasnt the star of a couple of those teams Gerard cavlan who couldnt get his starting place on the senior side...
Derrys minor win in 89 yielded just two on the senior AI winning 93 side.... hardly compelling evidence
Donegal had nothing to draw from...Likewise dublin....

I still say that a good manager will maximise the resources at his disposal. Fermanagh and monaghan would be prime examples along with tyrone
imo

think its you doing the day dreaming max !

Cavlan was not a member of the All Ireland Winning under-age teams. He was well over age at that stage!!

Maximus Marillius

Lb, you have just affirmed my point. 95% of all teams that won at senior have a number of players who have won at either minor or u21 level in their province or All Ireland level.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 06, 2009, 12:51:04 PM
Lb, you have just affirmed my point. 95% of all teams that won at senior have a number of players who have won at either minor or u21 level in their province or All Ireland level.
how have I
the point anyhow is - that winning minor and/or u21 provides a huge percentage of a county team that goes on to win an All Ireland senior

the examples given prove the opposite....

please think before you post things !
:)