Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Just in after the Christmas works do. Bit merry but not too bad!

Few quick points. Firstly read the Docs Christmas message, the Co convention notes. Or known appropriately as the chairmans annual address. Its on the official page.

Ive got serious issues about some of the things that go on in this county, but thats only because I would be passionate about things Antrim. If I didnt care, I wouldnt be on here at this time of the night.

The County administrators might not like the fact that we can come on here and give an account of our feelings and opinions - maybe we shouldnt be allowed an opinion at all !

So what are we. Are we nameless, faceless, cowardly people who hide behind the pseudenoms, or are we a useful barometer of public opinion, free of any shackles.

In my case, I post in the assumption that 90% of the users here know who I am. If the remaining 10% wish to know my identity, they can PM me any time - no probem. There is nothing I will say here that I would not endorse in a private face to face.

On these grounds I will continue to enjoy my free time on this discussion board, and promote the fact that a huge proportion of Co board officials either scan this site, or or members themselves, and if they were in the same position as ourselves - ordinary five eighths, then if the roles were reversed, they would be posting on here themselves!

In my opinion, the "doctor" is a progressive chairman, a good step ahead of what we`ve had before. I would like him to know that my collective reflection of the chairmans report, and the up to date appraisal of the strategic review of 2006, is that we have made decent strides in the right direction. But we have still a fair bit to go.

I would take serious exception in his theory that "realistically" we are not in a position to win the Anglo Celt as further testimony that he does not believe in the ability of Antrim Football. I furiously reject this, and suggest that given the correct management and conditions, we could go a step further than Fermanagh who drew in the provincial decider last year.

The last Antrim team I was involved/in charge of beat Fermanagh by 12 points in an Ulster c`ship u-21 match three seasons ago.

The Doc can put any spin on it he likes, but when he starts to become more of a problem than a solution, (with regard to Antrim Football) then I will start to highlight this where and when possible.

Personally speaking, I feel he will soon be way out of his depth. There will be no hiding place.

milltown row

good stuff bannside, i was also at works do, i couldn't even get out of the taxi!!!!

but you've managed to post your views about the county convention. i believe the county don't like the board as it has (most of the time) valid concerns or opinions, good bad or indifferent about the county board. the county board is elected by the members, thats me you and I'd say 99% of the other Antrim posters (don't think saffronsam pays his subs) so we can all have a view. forums will only get bigger, so Doc, get over it

bannside

Agree totally MR. A discussion board is just that, and can be used for highlighting positive news, as well as making our feelings known when stuff happens that simply shouldnt. If the board is properly moderated to prevent spiteful and personal "cheap shot" material, then it can actually be a useful tool as a proper barometer of public opinion.

As you say, we are mostly a collection of people who are part of the democracy that makes up our association. County Officials are elected by people like ourselves, and this discussion board, or something similar, will be in place long after those same officials have come and gone. But as long as they are really putting the work into their positions, and making progress, I would respect that. But I wont stand by and accept bullshit predictions like "lets be real, Antrim wont win the Anglo-Celt".

Its akin to Gerald Ratners famous quote that Ratners jewellery is crap - and look where he ended up after that!

Antrim Football has the most talented squad in a long long time, and this year we are in the easier half of the draw - so our ambitions must be to get over Donegal and then aim to win it. Personally i would like the Doctor to retract that stupid comment. Its totally out of order - or else he is totally out of touch.

imtommygunn

Bannside while your optimism must be admired you also have to have a bit of realism.

We play Donegal in the first game and they're definitely not an unbeatable team. We will do well to beat them though and need a good league to get the confidence up to do just that. I believe if we have a good league we can put it to them.

Antrim could not realistically beat Tyrone, Armagh or Monaghan. If Derry got the finger out of their ass they'd not have the ability to beat them either but they'd have to do that.

If Antrim got to an Ulster final I'd be a very happy man. Obviously if you were to get there you'd want to win it. We're in division 4 - ulster title talk at present is just silly.

What I'd be very happy with promotion and a win over donegal then a couple of games in the qualifiers. We have a young team as of yet and if we got something like this it would really stand to them. Building a mentality of belief where they're not beat before they go out would be a good start. That's why Whitey got them a win against Down- belief more than anything else.

Ulster title talk is crazy. Mick McCann, McGourty etc etc are very good players. We don't have 15 at that standard though. You have to walk before you can run.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 13, 2008, 08:29:34 PM
Bannside while your optimism must be admired you also have to have a bit of realism.

We play Donegal in the first game and they're definitely not an unbeatable team. We will do well to beat them though and need a good league to get the confidence up to do just that. I believe if we have a good league we can put it to them.

Antrim could not realistically beat Tyrone, Armagh or Monaghan. If Derry got the finger out of their ass they'd not have the ability to beat them either but they'd have to do that.

If Antrim got to an Ulster final I'd be a very happy man. Obviously if you were to get there you'd want to win it. We're in division 4 - ulster title talk at present is just silly.

What I'd be very happy with promotion and a win over donegal then a couple of games in the qualifiers. We have a young team as of yet and if we got something like this it would really stand to them. Building a mentality of belief where they're not beat before they go out would be a good start. That's why Whitey got them a win against Down- belief more than anything else.

Ulster title talk is crazy. Mick McCann, McGourty etc etc are very good players. We don't have 15 at that standard though. You have to walk before you can run.
what you say (highlighted in bold) ITG is true 90% of the time.
But with a smattering of good players and great inventive intelligent thinking and gameplans to suit (covering over deficiancies and maximising/utilising strengths) a team that is meagre can go on to over achieve.
For every underachieving side, (Derry/Donegal/Dublin/Cork) you have teams that punch way above their weight (meath especially monaghan).
Indeed the farney men are the template here. It is open to debate whether tyrone have a panel whose individuals are as good as the Kerrys and other top squads. Monaghan def dont but produce top level championship performances though.
IMO Antrim have a comparable squad in terms of talent. Not sure if they have the complete mixe and thus a top notch sipne, but the little I have seen of yez and what I hear from reputable saffron football people leads me to believe you are in a position to 'do a monaghan'.
IMO it wont be under the current manager though. that isnt his forte. Hed do better with Dublin cork or kerry.
It starts with a dream and optimism.

culchie11

Bannside, are you sure your gripe with the doc isnt sour grapes!!!

;) ;)

are you a member of portglenone club, if so, why not go to a club meeting, thats where you can voice your concerns and maybe have something done about it, not on here at 4 in the morning!!!

the county football teams aim for next year is to win or get promoted from div 4, first and foremost.
after that we can have a go at donegal. yes i agree with some sentiments, if you think positive you will maybe get somewhere, but you do have to be realistic, we havent won an ulster championship match in quite a while.
to be able to play against even the lesser teams in ulster, we have to get out of div 4 and build from there, not on a one-off championship win.

firehill, i dont really care who you are, but to refer to some county panelists as retards is a bit unfair, they went to the trials & baker must have seen something that impressed him, do you not think they deserve a chance!!

imtommygunn

Lynchbhoy I agree to a point and am just being realistic.

Looking at Fermanagh this year illustrates how much gaelic football is about tactics more than individuals.

Monaghan however are an excellent team and I don't believe we're at that level yet. I believe we need to build and Donegal is a realistic target to win.

I think you underestimate Monaghan and perceive them to be, for example, weaker than Derry. I do not. Gary McQuaid, Eoin Lennon, Paul Finlay, Damian and Tommy Freeman and for 50 minutes a game Rory Woods would walk on most teams out there. They'd be a step above us yet.

We can be better than Cavan, potentially Donegal and Down, potentially Fermanagh with a system. Monaghan , Derry and Armagh are a wee bit too much yet. That is me being optimistic BTW.

Mick McCann, Sean Kelly and CJ McGourty are class footballers. We then have some who are a level below that but are very good none the less. We have 5 or 6 spots not so good though. The Monaghan's etc of this world do not have that.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 15, 2008, 11:00:54 AM
Lynchbhoy I agree to a point and am just being realistic.

Looking at Fermanagh this year illustrates how much gaelic football is about tactics more than individuals.

Monaghan however are an excellent team and I don't believe we're at that level yet. I believe we need to build and Donegal is a realistic target to win.

I think you underestimate Monaghan and perceive them to be, for example, weaker than Derry. I do not. Gary McQuaid, Eoin Lennon, Paul Finlay, Damian and Tommy Freeman and for 50 minutes a game Rory Woods would walk on most teams out there. They'd be a step above us yet.

We can be better than Cavan, potentially Donegal and Down, potentially Fermanagh with a system. Monaghan , Derry and Armagh are a wee bit too much yet. That is me being optimistic BTW.

Mick McCann, Sean Kelly and CJ McGourty are class footballers. We then have some who are a level below that but are very good none the less. We have 5 or 6 spots not so good though. The Monaghan's etc of this world do not have that.
I'd agree to a point, think you are looking at the revolutionised monaghan team, these players were not as 'good' prior to mcenaney taking over. The system has made them look good - they deserve it, but an equally smart system would also bring out the best in Antrim.
Otherwise they will remain underachieving ...
But your realistic view is the most likely outcome for th enear future imo

imtommygunn

Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

On last year's performances we were ninth in Ulster so getting to fifth is very optimistic IMO. Ulster title talk just unrealistic/crazy.

Damien and Tommy Freeman always were class acts as was Finlay.

Mhic Easmuint

GAA Training Weekends for all teams, county, club, mens & ladies football, hurling & camogie.
Futher information at: http://www.breakforball.com/

ONeill

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 15, 2008, 02:14:02 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

The whole mindset in Antrim needs overhauled. Having lived in the county for 10 years now, what is most striking is the willingness to slag/berate/doubt management, committees, boards and anyone from another club. Every county has them on the odd corner but Antrim seem to be breeding them. I know of ex-Antrim footballers who won't go to watch the side because of something that happened a decade or so. Little things like that. Every new manager comes under immediate attack from some quarters. You have bannside here who needs to get drunk before slagging the current regime on here in the early hours of the morning. You have Kevin McGourty who won't play for the side, despite only having a 5 year career (including summers spent elsewhere) for reasons that don't actually make sense. You have a chairman who runs to the papers to complain about the complainers. Can you imagine chairmen of other boards even giving this board a second thought? Too many in the county are too busy trying to settle scores/start arguments. On three occasions in the last month, non-posters have commented to me about things posted on here, as if it's a big deal.

The pity is, Antrim have a core of players who know about winning titles but they haven't a hope in hell at county level of mimicking that because of the lack of a sense of everyone pulling together for the greater good. Small gestures mean a lot over time. Why didn't so many players play on last summer? Antrim are not above the Tommy Murphy Cup. The feuds get worse, heels are dug in and no one really cares. Maybe Baker Bradley will change things. Maybe he'll tell the players to cut the crap, unite for the county and grab the county board by the balls, holding up examples of what other county teams receive in terms of financial support. You have a county board that simply do not compare to others around them when it comes to treating its county teams with the professionalism needed, that's if they're serious about it.

The normal reaction to the above being written is 'what does he know; just because he's from Tyrone; his house will be burned in the morning.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

culchie11

o'neill, your right!!
too many people in this county with crosses to carry, they think the county owes them or their club something.
its no use people coming on here, ranting and raving about we shouldnt be doing this or that, unless they have a decent alternative.
and theres no point coming on here to make a point, yes it is a discussion board, but you wont change a thing on here. join your clubs committee, express your views there and they can be filtered through to the county from there.
instead of people getting behind the team, their team, their county, they come on here wondering who proposed the new manager & call some of the panelists obscenities!!!
we are always doom and gloom, looking for someone to blame, we are abit like derry in that sense, but at least they get behind the team until it happens. we presume its going to happen before it does.

bannside

Culchie, I have no personal axe to grind against the Doc. I think he has done a lot of good. I have consistently praised his regime as being a lot better than what went before. I would like him to be around to see out a lot of the action plans contained in the Strategic review undertaken by Liam O Kane - to date the most professional bit of work carried out in this county in a long time, by the current management committee, or any that went before it. Anyone serious about this county should have this document as a road map for the future.

The Doctor has brought a high degree of energy and ambition to the post, and that has to commended. Its only fair that this is properly acknowledged.

My concern is based on a personal belief that as a county performing at inter county level, the Doctor has not shown anywhere near enough of the same energy and enthusiasm, particularly for Football. I could cite handfuls of examples to support this argument - but this is not the place for washing out all the dirty linen. And of course its easy to pinpoint all the problems.

Sorry if this comes across as sour grapes - I have openly congratulated Baker and wish him and his team every success next year.  Now that he is in place, let the county chairman not dampen everyones enthusiasm by making it out that we are complete also rans.

We must raise the ambition levels. Where were Armagh 10 years ago. Or Tyrone for that matter. Medium rated counties at best - certainly not top tier. But they set out their stall properly -  and everyone bought into it. But it was led from the top.

Come on now Doctor, you are going into year four - its time to show the Football men of this county that you really mean it!

PS, Congratulations to Kevin Madden on the launch of his new business venture, Break For Ball. (The website is first class too. Well done Mhic Easmuint)

Maximus Marillius

I see Paddy crozier has been appointed the new Cargin manager. I think he has an excellent channce to win his first championship as a manager. I get the feeling that St Galls have blown their load so to speak

ONeill

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on December 17, 2008, 12:56:00 PM
I get the feeling that St Galls have blown their load so to speak

Why's that?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.