China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 24, 2020, 08:51:55 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on March 24, 2020, 08:47:10 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 24, 2020, 12:58:20 PM
Lidil are open, as is tesco and our local is closed but will deliver for orders over £50

if you are into wines, Portugal Vine yards is a great site. use them all the time, 12 bottles of Porta 6 (great wine) for 60 euro, delivered. but they have hundreds of choices
MR2 it's coming up for me 23 euro deliver? How you get the free delivery option? Am I doing something stupid? Wife looking recommendation's on the white as well! Cheers

16 either 15 or 16 quid for delivery send me a pm
You may get a lockdown drinks thread started. Beerhawk is decent for beer deliveries. Goose Island 312 is a decent wee drop.

imtommygunn

The vineyard is setting up deliveries.not available for a few days.

lenny

Lidil are open, as is tesco and our local is closed but will deliver for orders over £50

if you are into wines, Portugal Vine yards is a great site. use them all the time, 12 bottles of Porta 6 (great wine) for 60 euro, delivered. but they have hundreds of choices
MR2 it's coming up for me 23 euro deliver? How you get the free delivery option? Am I doing something stupid? Wife looking recommendation's on the white as well! Cheers

Saw a link to an article in the FT there regarding a study done by Oxford University. They're saying that 50% of the UK already have it or have had it. They also said it has been around in the uk since mid January. If that's the case the lockdown won't be as long as first thought. They also think only 1 in 1000 will require hospital care as a high percentage are getting very little symptoms.

Rois

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 24, 2020, 08:51:00 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on March 24, 2020, 08:49:10 PM
What's the story with golf courses still open? They shut in the south now? Seems a bit bonkers though I can see why ones would think it's ideal for social distancing. I miles away from everybody when I play, unless your coming up the other fairway!

You'd be picking balls out of the same holes though. The virus lives on surfaces for days.
The courses reacted to this risk and you didn't have to pick your ball out of the hole. The clubs had all closed clubhouses etc.
They all closed this morn in the north, and the golfing unions in Ireland are calling for them all to be closed throughout the island. I played on Sun, straight from car to tee, never less than 2m from my playing partner.

balladmaker

To date:
Britain 417 deaths
Island of Ireland 12 deaths

Britain has 10 times the population of Ireland, yet has 35 times the deaths .... they're getting badly hit across the water.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: lenny on March 24, 2020, 09:10:08 PM

Saw a link to an article in the FT there regarding a study done by Oxford University. They're saying that 50% of the UK already have it or have had it. They also said it has been around in the uk since mid January. If that's the case the lockdown won't be as long as first thought. They also think only 1 in 1000 will require hospital care as a high percentage are getting very little symptoms.

Saw that too Lenny. Although far from proven it represents a different picture than the Imperial College one which put the shits up everyone. While still taking all the precautions its good to read a more positive report

Tony Baloney

Quote from: balladmaker on March 24, 2020, 09:22:31 PM
To date:
Britain 417 deaths
Island of Ireland 12 deaths

Britain has 10 times the population of Ireland, yet has 35 times the deaths .... they're getting badly hit across the water.
Not entirely a fair comparison as the Brits are mostly getting nailed in London, which isn't surprising as a global hub with a high population density.

rodney trotter

Badly hit because they were slow to do anything. They were even going to play Premier League games before Arteta was confirmed. Cheltenham went ahead, pubs left open.  Going from herd immunity to a full lockdown.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 24, 2020, 09:37:55 PM
Badly hit because they were slow to do anything. They were even going to play Premier League games before Arteta was confirmed. Cheltenham went ahead, pubs left open.  Going from herd immunity to a full lockdown.

One of Icelands outbreaks has been traced with travel to Premier game.. Over there they mostly support Liverpool and utd

JoG2

Could someone copy and paste if possible? Thanks

Milltown Row2

I get the offy isn't essential that's fine, but the scaffolding company I seen working today at someone's house is?

The list seems to an ever changing one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Quote from: JoG2 on March 24, 2020, 09:44:38 PM

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

It's not behind a paywall

RadioGAAGAA

That study is bullshit. Doesn't pass the sniff test at all.

They can model all they want - but there is no way the thing was here spreading to half the population since mid Jan without a corresponding exponential curve in hospital submissions and deaths tracking from that time period.

A virus simply doesn't selectively pick out good carriers that won't succumb early so it can spread better. That's just not the way it works - at all.

I agree that anti-body tests are essential, but that is as far as I agree with Gupta. If initial anti-body testing does start to produce the kind of returns that supports their hypothesis, then I'll pay attention. But not a minute before. It was the inept modelling assumptions of Whitty and Vallance that got us deeper into this mess in the first place.
i usse an speelchekor

JoG2

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 24, 2020, 10:02:58 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 24, 2020, 09:44:38 PM

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

It's not behind a paywall

Thanks