Army team in London GAA

Started by Eamonnca1, January 10, 2016, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Club set to object to British army GAA team

Granuaile Hurling Club, based in Harrow, North London, sent notification to the London County Board of their proposal to 'rescind' last September's historic decision to allow a team from the Irish Guards compete in the junior championship.

The move could be viewed as significant, as the new London chairman is Granuaile stalwart John Lacey. The decision to allow in the club was divisive and only passed when then chairman, Noel O'Sullivan, cast the deciding ballot after a tied vote.

An email to the city's clubs from the secretary of the London County Board Mark Gottsch, and forwarded to the Irish Examiner, read: "A Chara, In accordance with Rule 4.3 Voting T.O. 2015 (p58) I have been requested by Granuaile hurling club to notify all members of the London County Committee of their intention to propose the rescindment of the decision to approve the affiliation of the Irish Guards as a club to the London County Committee.
READ NEXT Nurses and health managers seek to avert planned strike

"Could all clubs please ensure that their club delegates are briefed and mandated on this proposal."

When asked by the Irish Examiner to explain their position, Granuaile chairman Donal Corbett said: "We're affiliated to the London County Committee and perform our business within that structure. We will disclose everything to the London County Commitee."

Mr Corbett has been heavily involved at County Board level in recent years.

The Irish Guards are the first British army regiment to become an affiliated club in the GAA's history. British security forces were banned from playing Gaelic games until 2001 under Rule 21.

The Irish Guards applied to join the GAA as a club several months ago after moving to London from Aldershot. At the time of the vote, Noel O'Sullivan said:

"Very simply for me I can see both sides. I can appreciate the way people feel. But we have to move forward, don't dwell on the past."

The regiment, nicknamed the Micks, are set to play under the name Gardaí Éireannach.

One London source expressed concern about how the move will be viewed.

"The very fact it's been proposed portrays us in a very bad light," he said.

The Irish Examiner

was unable to make contact with the Irish Guards at time of writing.

How embarrassing. On the plus side, they're on a hiding to nowhere with this. There's no rule against letting them play. This was settled with the abolition of Rule 21. If for some reason the London board voted to kick them out of the competition, they could appeal it to Central Council who I think would rule the objection out of order and let them back in.

theticklemister

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 10, 2016, 06:58:52 PM

Granuaile Hurling Club, based in Harrow, North London, sent notification to the London County Board of their proposal to 'rescind' last September's historic decision to allow a team from the Irish Guards compete in the junior championship.

The move could be viewed as significant, as the new London chairman is Granuaile stalwart John Lacey. The decision to allow in the club was divisive and only passed when then chairman, Noel O'Sullivan, cast the deciding ballot after a tied vote.

An email to the city's clubs from the secretary of the London County Board Mark Gottsch, and forwarded to the Irish Examiner, read: "A Chara, In accordance with Rule 4.3 Voting T.O. 2015 (p58) I have been requested by Granuaile hurling club to notify all members of the London County Committee of their intention to propose the rescindment of the decision to approve the affiliation of the Irish Guards as a club to the London County Committee.

"Could all clubs please ensure that their club delegates are briefed and mandated on this proposal."

When asked by the Irish Examiner to explain their position, Granuaile chairman Donal Corbett said: "We're affiliated to the London County Committee and perform our business within that structure. We will disclose everything to the London County Commitee."

The Irish Guards are the first British army regiment to become an affiliated club in the GAA's history. British security forces were banned from playing Gaelic games until 2001 under Rule 21.

The Irish Guards applied to join the GAA as a club several months ago after moving to London from Aldershot. At the time of the vote, Noel O'Sullivan said:

"Very simply for me I can see both sides. I can appreciate the way people feel. But we have to move forward, don't dwell on the past."

The regiment, nicknamed the Micks, are set to play under the name Gardaí Éireannach.

The Irish Examiner

How embarrassing. On the plus side, they're on a hiding to nowhere with this. There's no rule against letting them play. This was settled with the abolition of Rule 21. If for some reason the London board voted to kick them out of the competition, they could appeal it to Central Council who I think would rule the objection out of order and let them back in.

Which army is this?

armaghniac

Are they a real club. Can a fellow from Cross living in that neighbourhood join?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

As petty as the fleg protesters.The GAA top brass dine with Her Majesty at Windsor Castle,the GAA facilities at Ruislip have been presumably developed with Public (ie British)Money and the Queen,PSNI (who also have an affiliated GAA team) are welcomed at Croke Park.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: theticklemister on January 10, 2016, 07:25:49 PM

The Irish Examiner

Which army is this?

Guess.

theticklemister

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 10, 2016, 08:53:44 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 10, 2016, 07:25:49 PM

The Irish Examiner

Which army is this?

Guess.

You just mentioned Army lad, i call them the British Army

armaghniac

Quote from: theticklemister on January 10, 2016, 09:01:48 PM

While this is right and proper in their exercise of their colonial role in Ireland, it is rather pedantic in Britain.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: theticklemister on January 10, 2016, 09:01:48 PM

There's a clue in the article's title.

foxcommander

So when are you buying the British Army top Eamonn?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

LeoMc

I see the TUV have picked up on this.
A recalcitrant minority welded to the past and are unable and unwilling to move on.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: LeoMc on January 11, 2016, 08:08:54 PM
I see the TUV have picked up on this.
A recalcitrant minority welded to the past and are unable and unwilling to move on.

Did the TUV really say that? The irony.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: foxcommander on January 11, 2016, 07:04:10 PM
I might just do it to piss you off.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 12, 2016, 02:07:48 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on January 11, 2016, 07:04:10 PM
I might just do it to piss you off.

You should give them a mail to see if you can pre-order. You seem so excited.

Eamonnca1

I am now that you've given me the idea.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 12, 2016, 03:22:22 AM
I am now that you've given me the idea.

Make sure and ask for their Union Jack away strip. It will suit you.