Quickest Route Galway To Belfast

Started by galwayman, August 13, 2009, 12:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Lads,
Does anyone on here know the quickest route from Galway to Belfast. There are numerous ways of going so any first hand experiences would be appreciated.
Someone suggested these 2 possible routes to me...
Galway - Roscommon - Longford - Cavan - Monaghan - Armagh - Portadown - Lisburn - Belfast
Galway - Athlone - Cavan - Monaghan - Armagh - Portadown - Lisburn - Belfast
Anyone any ideas?

Also, I need to go to Castleblayney from Galway in a few weeks. What would be the quickest way of doing this? Should I go to Monaghan town and to Castleblayney from here or is there a shorter route.

Thanks a lot for any help on this as I have no experience of driving up north so have no idea of what routes to take etc.

Galwaybhoy

I don't think theres any real difference between the two ways you just posted.  I'd go the second though if I were going.  Was going up to the Galway match there last year against Antrim and got a bit lost on the way but came home through Kells and onto Mullingar then Athlone.  So you could try going through Mullingar.  The one thing I would say though is try http://www.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/

stpauls

i would usually go Belfast, Enniskillen, Sligo and then Galway. Or via Bundoran and Ballyshannon to Enniskillen/Sligo.
it may be a bit longer distance wise, but the roads would be a lot better and about the same time wise as your 2 routes!!

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: stpauls on August 13, 2009, 12:23:10 PM
i would usually go Belfast, Enniskillen, Sligo and then Galway. Or via Bundoran and Ballyshannon to Enniskillen/Sligo.
it may be a bit longer distance wise, but the roads would be a lot better and about the same time wise as your 2 routes!!

Yep thats the way i would go too. Much better roads now, what with the new by-passes etc.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Galway-Tuam-Sligo-Enniskillen-Belfast.

The Tuam-Sligo leg of the journey can be twisty in spots e.g. around Tubbercurry and between Sligo and Enniskillen, but once you're past Enniskillen you can make serious time.

Here's a wacky alternative - go via Dublin, just take the M50 northbound and then the M1/N1, straight all the way. Well out of your way obviously, but it's motorway all the way from Ballinasloe to Belfast, so you could make it in 4ish hours instead of 5ish. On the flip-side, you'd get caught for 3 tolls!

GaillimhIarthair

I have used the following 2 routes for Belfast Galwayman -

Galway - Athlone - Mullingar - Kells - Ardee - Dundalk - Belfast
Galway - Tuam - Charlestown - Sligo - Enniskillen - Ballygawley - Lisburn  - Belfast (my preference!)

Both are about 4.5 hours depending on traffic during the day.  An early start and 4 hours is possible.

For Castleblaney, use the first route above as far as Ardee and its about 20miles to 'blaney from here.

Mayo4Sam

Used to live in belfast & would take the dublin route. Otherwise sligo is the way to go. Bad road sligo to enniskillen but the rest is grand. Stay away from the middle of the country altogether, disaster. Esp armagh, brutal roads
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

A Quinn Martin Production

As an alternative you could try Sligo - B'shannon - Belleek - Omagh - Ballygawley - Belfast...a bit longer but avoids the Sligo Enniskillen road through Manorhamilton etc and also going through Enniskillen can be a nightmare depending what time of day and how man Southern shoppers are on the roads!!...also better roads and a by pass of Omagh in place now.

Those route planners and google maps are good but not infallible
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

stpauls

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 13, 2009, 12:58:57 PM

As an alternative you could try Sligo - B'shannon - Belleek - Omagh - Ballygawley - Belfast...a bit longer but avoids the Sligo Enniskillen road through Manorhamilton etc and also going through Enniskillen can be a nightmare depending what time of day and how man Southern shoppers are on the roads!!...also better roads and a by pass of Omagh in place now.

Those route planners and google maps are good but not infallible

yeah, that is another way via Kesk etc. Takes you away from the madness that is the traffic in Enniskillen.

RMDrive

Go via Dublin. tHe few bob extra on the toll will be more than compensated for by the fact that you will be far less tired on arrival. From Mayo I always have to go via Sligo-Enniskillen and it's a really tiring journey. A friend living in Galway always goes home to Belfast via Dublin.

under the bar

Ignore all previous posts.

Without a doubt it's Sligo, Enniskillen, Belfast since the new road for Sligo to Galway was opened.

I do it a couple of times every few months and you can do it in 3.5 hours.  Down through the country is a 'mare.

bingobus

If I'm going to Galway from Blayney, I'd always go Blayney, Ballybay, Cootehill, Cavan Town, Canard, Ballymahon, Athlone - Glaway.

Its not great roads at times but its the best route.

What you at in Blayney? Business or pleasure?

thebandit

To Castleblayney, this route is about 10 minutes shorter than Bingobus's ....

Galway - Roscommon - Longford - Granard - Cavan - Cootehill - Ballybay (mind now) - Blayney

On to Belfast

Blayney - Culloville - Crossmaglen - Newry (on to Bypass) and up the M1 to Belfast.

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on August 13, 2009, 03:10:24 PM
To Castleblayney, this route is about 10 minutes shorter than Bingobus's ....

Galway - Roscommon - Longford - Granard - Cavan - Cootehill - Ballybay (mind now) - Blayney

On to Belfast

Blayney - Culloville - Crossmaglen - Newry (on to Bypass) and up the M1 to Belfast.

I'll do it in my new yoke and I'll make up the ten minutes  ;)

I'd also never go that way to Belfast.

I'd go Blayney - Keady - Armagh-Portadown-Motorway-Belfast.

Armaghtothebone

Ignore all those suggesting a route via Dublin.
The roadworks and temporary speed limits at Newry, Sheepbridge,Loughbrickland, Banbridge x2 and Hillsborough will break your heart.