Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: farset on November 26, 2018, 12:33:35 PM
Quote from: bannside on November 26, 2018, 08:52:17 AM
If we are talking best footballers of their generation then Sean Kelly and Mick Mc Cann are up there in that elite bracket...

Put Mick McCann on Sean Kelly though and what happens?

Mick McCann by far and away the best player of his generation.

Massive shout there. Impossible to compare the 2 IMO.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: farset on November 26, 2018, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 26, 2018, 12:50:17 PM
If we are talking best footballers of their generation then Sean Kelly and Mick Mc Cann are up there in that elite bracket...

Sean Kelly probably being the second best player of that generation... IMO.  I just think that if they marked each other, McCann would have too much athleticism.  Football ability, they would be neck and neck.

Of course it's in my opinion, who else's opinion would it be?

So for that comment when Aidso Gallagher marked Mick he won most battles, as we won most games, so is he a better player?.. and why would a defender be marking a midfielder? totaly different
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

Sean Kelly probably being the second best player of that generation... IMO.  I just think that if they marked each other, McCann would have too much athleticism.  Football ability, they would be neck and neck.

Sean, whilst superb at club level was unfortunately found out at Inter County level.  Niblock for me was St Gall's greatest player and turned in performances at county level also. A class act.

country bumpkin

Do we forget Michael Mc Cann was the recipient of a replacement All Star award and a couple of Ulster's.....and he is still in his prime...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on November 26, 2018, 01:47:10 PM

Sean, whilst superb at club level was unfortunately found out at Inter County level.  Niblock for me was St Gall's greatest player and turned in performances at county level also. A class act.

All about opinions I suppose, for me Sean had/has everything in his locker, on and off the field and a outstanding role model for everyone in our club.. A leader on the pitch and now off it, we've been lucky to have so many of them with the same attitude, which is why we were so successful
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

When was he found out? He was a ball playing half back and due to our lack of corner backs he ended up there half the time and still did a decent job.

not denying Mick McCann has been fantastic too. We have been lucky to have both and could be a while before our county sees the likes again.

inabsentia

Do we forget Michael Mc Cann was the recipient of a replacement All Star award and a couple of Ulster's.....and he is still in his prime...
[/quote]

When was this?

Spike

[/quote]

When was he found out? He was a ball playing half back and due to our lack of corner backs he ended up there half the time and still did a decent job.

not denying Mick McCann has been fantastic too. We have been lucky to have both and could be a while before our county sees the likes again.
[/quote]

Corner back? I'm actually struggling to remember a good game he played for the county, not even an outstanding game.  Look super club player, top top club player,  but wasn't county grade. Some players are made for club and some for county, lucky ones for both. Sean was club. Niblock and Aidso were both.

The gooch

not saying niblock was the best but was/is my favourite player to watch in antrim football. does things most players cant.

bannside

Farset you are 100% entitled to your opinion and plenty will agree with you, but to say that Mick would have been FAR better athletically is well off the mark IMO.

Both had Rolls Royce engines, and both had the early sprint speed as well as high endurance, which is quite rare because usually you have one or the other.

Mick had a better county career and was a better fielder of a ball, but Sean Kelly oozed class, totally selfless, and always made it look simple. Two real gooduns. I'd still say that Niblock is the supporters choice though as Antrims best player of the last 15 years. Feel free to disagree it's only one opinion!

Derryboy99

They will need a solid keeper before winning anything! Was at the games against A'Gallon/B'Mena and M'Glass and before winning anything they need a keeper who can kick the ball out and not leak soft goals. It's the most important position on the pitch nowadays.

country bumpkin

Quote from: inabsentia on November 26, 2018, 01:58:47 PM

When was this?
[/quote]

Replacement All Star in 2010....
Ulster's in 09, 10.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: farset on November 26, 2018, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 26, 2018, 01:58:17 PM

Nobody is talking about the man being a role-model on or off the pitch or how nice a guy he is. He is all of those things and more without a doubt but he didn't have the dyanism, athleticism, explosiveness or ability of Mick McCann IN MY OPINION.

He was a great player. Not criticising him at all. Just think Mick was better.

Mick didn't always play midfield. Just because St Galls had a better team doesn't make Mick a lesser player. Aidso was put on to spoil him quite a bit and then the half back and half forwards of St Galls picked up the loose and breaking ball.

Mick McCann would be the best player, even now, on the St Galls team.

Well apples and oranges really, difficult for me to compare, essentially a midfield player and a halfback player making each other?  can't remember mick playing for a period as a half back or being picked up by Sean so I get your opinion that he was better player, but the other bit of if they were marking each other stuff, but like saying Batman is better than Superman  :D

ahoy hoy

paddyjohn

Batman wouldn't stand a chance with the hulk