Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 21, 2017, 11:35:20 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 10:56:21 AM
I would venture every Dublin juvenile team is coached by a parent or club loyalist then very same as in Mayo, Rosocmmon, Offaly and anywhere else.

Club teams? Yeah, you'd likely be right - at least I hope! It'd be more than a bit alarming to learn that in Co. Dublin, underage teams are regularly being coached by county board paid development officers!

But what about development officers into primary/secondary schools? Or what about the coaching for the coaches?

those were the implications made by some like mcKenna........
coaches are coached the very same as the rest of ireland , foundation, level one level 2,  who gives the courses or where is irrelevant
The 31 counties ex pats in Dublin have done more to promote the game than any GPO in my view

sambostar

Coaching the coaches has a lot of impact. And having a GPO within the club gives easy access to a better standard of coaching for the parents who take on coaching roles. GPO's can also come along to training sessions with the kids once-in-a-while to give a session where both the kids & coaches benefit.

That's not to mention the benefit of a GPO visiting the local primary school at least once a week to coach the kids - that doesn't happen in any other county.

Why doesn't the GAA start investing money in Belfast like they do in Dublin? There's a huge untapped playing base in Belfast. It's like Dublin in that many voluntary coaches have come from rural areas but they don't get anywhere near the same levels of paid support from GPO's etc. as volunteer coaches get in Dublin

Orchard park

sambo,

belfast is the most obvious place where GAA need to invest big time ( money and structures) and as you say it gas a lot of the same rural background positives like Dublin.

The GPOs are great, the clubs pay half of the costs which the moaners all forget also and are are great set up for helping nervous parents, beginner coaches.  Their main work is in the schools which is what they introduced for initially to try and counteract the falling numbers of GAA friendly muinteoirs

magpie seanie

Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 12:29:50 PM
sambo,

belfast is the most obvious place where GAA need to invest big time ( money and structures) and as you say it gas a lot of the same rural background positives like Dublin.

The GPOs are great, the clubs pay half of the costs which the moaners all forget also and are are great set up for helping nervous parents, beginner coaches.  Their main work is in the schools which is what they introduced for initially to try and counteract the falling numbers of GAA friendly muinteoirs

How many clubs have a GPO? Could you name a few? Do some clubs share one?

Rossfan

If the GAA want more big Counties being competitive with Dublin then money needs to go into Belfast/Antrim, Louth,Wicklow and dare we say Kildare and Meath.
Those 5 should be around the same standard as Mayowestros and Donegal/Tyrone based on population figures. In all probability they have higher percentages of under 25s.
Cork occasionally and Kerry usually will also compete for AIs.
As for the rest of us in the little Counties.......occasional appearances in Super 8s will be our lot with the odd Connacht or Ulster title thrown in.
Sadly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ashman

Quote from: sambostar on September 21, 2017, 12:21:46 PM
Coaching the coaches has a lot of impact. And having a GPO within the club gives easy access to a better standard of coaching for the parents who take on coaching roles. GPO's can also come along to training sessions with the kids once-in-a-while to give a session where both the kids & coaches benefit.

That's not to mention the benefit of a GPO visiting the local primary school at least once a week to coach the kids - that doesn't happen in any other county.

Why doesn't the GAA start investing money in Belfast like they do in Dublin? There's a huge untapped playing base in Belfast. It's like Dublin in that many voluntary coaches have come from rural areas but they don't get anywhere near the same levels of paid support from GPO's etc. as volunteer coaches get in Dublin

To answer your question .  Antrim GAA is not too big to fail .  The GAA don't need Antrim to fill Croker.  It is that simple .

Orchard park

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 21, 2017, 12:38:19 PM
sambo,

How many clubs have a GPO? Could you name a few? Do some clubs share one?

I dont know the dublin scene closely anymore but i would guess at there being 50 clubs with GPOs and 10 without one and the remaining smaller clubs sharing one. Some clubs have their own locally funded coach in addition also like Ballyboden, Kilmacud and brigids

Maroon Manc

sambo,

Imagine a club having the luxury of been able to contribute to half a GDO's salary. How many clubs in Dublin do this?

Orchard park

maroon,

its not a luxury its called fundraising locally. or higher membership rates....... i would think 50 clubs do so.

but the eternallly paranoid like Mckenna and his twitterers would have you believe that the 18k odd a year the club pays is actual loose change in all dublin clubs,

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 12:58:58 PM
maroon,

its not a luxury its called fundraising locally. or higher membership rates....... i would think 50 clubs do so.

but the eternallly paranoid like Mckenna and his twitterers would have you believe that the 18k odd a year the club pays is actual loose change in all dublin clubs,

This comes back to the population question.  A lot easier to fundraise when you have massive population on your doorstep. Yet another reason why maybe Dublin don't actually need that 1.3 million per year if we are to believe ye guys :)

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2017, 01:00:51 PM
maroon,

This comes back to the population question.  A lot easier to fundraise when you have massive population on your doorstep. Yet another reason why maybe Dublin don't actually need that 1.3 million per year if we are to believe ye guys :)

There was me thinking the likes of Aughamore & Knockmore would have no problem paying half a GDO's salary.

Orchard park

it can be debated either way and lest there be any mistakes i'm not a dub or living there but have a genuine interest in GAA development debate.

there are more counter acttractions in Dublin than in rural ireland leading to a less of a % playing. Population on its own doesn't tell full picture in a city, a larger proportion are apathetic to GAA or are actively anti GAA.

I proposed the Dublin underage structure of one week football one week hurling with fixtres for u8 up to u12 weekly to the county where i live and was met with 20 excuses why it couldn't work and no delegate prepared to stand back and say why dont we imitate a successful blueprint. I was prepared to give 2 years of my life to implement it fully but its easier to feind excuses than find development in may clubs and counties.

Dublin need the 1.3 million but not at others expenses., Others need it but not at Dublins expense would be my mantra

Orchard park

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 21, 2017, 01:03:50 PM
maroon,

There was me thinking the likes of Aughamore & Knockmore would have no problem paying half a GDO's salary.

davitts are the 2nd highest  sellers / earners from the GAA national draw as an aside

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 01:08:13 PM
it can be debated either way and lest there be any mistakes i'm not a dub or living there but have a genuine interest in GAA development debate.

there are more counter acttractions in Dublin than in rural ireland leading to a less of a % playing. Population on its own doesn't tell full picture in a city, a larger proportion are apathetic to GAA or are actively anti GAA.

I proposed the Dublin underage structure of one week football one week hurling with fixtres for u8 up to u12 weekly to the county where i live and was met with 20 excuses why it couldn't work and no delegate prepared to stand back and say why dont we imitate a successful blueprint. I was prepared to give 2 years of my life to implement it fully but its easier to feind excuses than find development in may clubs and counties.

Dublin need the 1.3 million but not at others expenses., Others need it but not at Dublins expense would be my mantra

Bingo!!

Just as regards the point about diversions. Assuming your not talking about cinemas and discos and weemin, I'm not sure there are many less distractions in smaller towns any more. I live in a very small town in Tipperary. We have a thriving soccer club, rugby club and basketball club. My young lad is 10 and he plays hurling, football soccer and basketball. These days he has hurling on Monday and Friday, basketball on tuesdays and thursdays and soccer wednesdays and every second saturday. 

As regards fixtures, I absolutely take your point on that. In Tipp the underage fixtures are not too bad, except that they love getting the football out of the way early in the year, but at least there's loads of games to play. The young lad started football in March I think and has his last hurling game next Friday week. There's been games nearly every week in between. However I'm involved with Tipp development football squads, and I have made a similar request regarding fixtures for football. We are very competitive with other counties at 14, 15 etc, but as the lads get older, and particularly into adulthood, the club structures let Tipperary down and so gaps start to emerge between Tipp and Kerry, Cork, etc.

Money for coaching is very important, but it's not a silver bullet. Fixtures, competition structures, etc. are all components, and you have to get them all right. But at least you can fight to change the controllables. The money though, is one thing where the field is not level, and that's why I agree with your point in bold.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 01:09:10 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 21, 2017, 01:03:50 PM
maroon,

davitts are the 2nd highest  sellers / earners from the GAA national draw as an aside

Which clubs in Dublin contribute 50% to the salary of the GDO and how many members do those clubs have?