Sunday Sport Championship preview

Started by The Burner, May 12, 2013, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: J70 on May 14, 2013, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 14, 2013, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 14, 2013, 11:05:34 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2013, 10:40:45 PM
Tommy Carr, that's the jennet that I heard saying that Donegal wouldn't win an All Ireland because they didn't have the spread of scoring forwards!!!. Was he in a coma for the last year or what? Pat Spillane made a lick of sense because he said Donegal won't really know if they are up for it until the need to dig deep in a championship match.

I switched off after Carr said that, and Kevin McStay said the whole thing was a waste of time because Donegal, Dublin and Mayo were all going for 3 in a row. (Not sure if he reckons they are all going to win their provinces or not). Seems to have forgotten that we've had 4 different All Ireland Winners in 4 years.

It says a lot when Spillane seemed to be the most considered of them.

Tommy Carr has form when it comes to Donegal. Listening to him during the Kildare league game he came out with the following gem. " we can safely dismiss Donegal this year because not alone do they have no attack but it looks like they have no defence either"

This is the same Tommy who came up behind Bryan Murray and took him out when Murray couldn't defend himself & the ball was far away in a League match in Croke Park many years ago.
How did Carr "take out" Murray?

He walked up behind him and gave him a hefty kick in the legs. Got the line for it. After about 5 minutes. Dublin went on to win 0-10 to 0-6. League final replay.
The infamous kick/trip. I certainly wouldnt describe it as doing someone, but it was sly and deserved the red card. By the way, Carr wasn't walking and Murray wasnt standing still. They were both running when Carr tripped/kicked him. The 4 month (initially 6 month) suspension is among the harshest football suspensions I can remember. Ended Carr's season and effectively ended his intercounty playing career.

Syferus

The Carr drove us well for a while. Gets more flak than he deserves.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2013, 04:51:00 PM
The Carr drove us well for a while. Get's more flak than he deserves.

:o :o
Less surely. Sure all his buddies in the media are forever singing his praises.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: Hound on May 14, 2013, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 14, 2013, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 14, 2013, 12:19:01 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 14, 2013, 11:05:34 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2013, 10:40:45 PM
Tommy Carr, that's the jennet that I heard saying that Donegal wouldn't win an All Ireland because they didn't have the spread of scoring forwards!!!. Was he in a coma for the last year or what? Pat Spillane made a lick of sense because he said Donegal won't really know if they are up for it until the need to dig deep in a championship match.

I switched off after Carr said that, and Kevin McStay said the whole thing was a waste of time because Donegal, Dublin and Mayo were all going for 3 in a row. (Not sure if he reckons they are all going to win their provinces or not). Seems to have forgotten that we've had 4 different All Ireland Winners in 4 years.

It says a lot when Spillane seemed to be the most considered of them.

Tommy Carr has form when it comes to Donegal. Listening to him during the Kildare league game he came out with the following gem. " we can safely dismiss Donegal this year because not alone do they have no attack but it looks like they have no defence either"

This is the same Tommy who came up behind Bryan Murray and took him out when Murray couldn't defend himself & the ball was far away in a League match in Croke Park many years ago.
How did Carr "take out" Murray?

He walked up behind him and gave him a hefty kick in the legs. Got the line for it. After about 5 minutes. Dublin went on to win 0-10 to 0-6. League final replay.
The infamous kick/trip. I certainly wouldnt describe it as doing someone, but it was sly and deserved the red card. By the way, Carr wasn't walking and Murray wasnt standing still. They were both running when Carr tripped/kicked him. The 4 month (initially 6 month) suspension is among the harshest football suspensions I can remember. Ended Carr's season and effectively ended his intercounty playing career

That's right, I forgot about the ban. In the greater scheme, it was indeed harsh. It was a kick though, from what I recall being seated close to the incident. That aside, I may have been a little dramatic in my description.:P I've seen a lot worse.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 14, 2013, 04:03:39 PM
Tommy Carr is an idiot. For an intelligent and articulate guy can never understand why his analysis is always based on perception and stereotype.

Ah Tommy's alright.

He managed the only Dublin team Kildare could manage to beat in recent memory!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

IolarCoisCuain

I always think it's a measure of how far Roscommon have fallen that they look back on Tommy Carr's time in charge as some sort of golden era.

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 14, 2013, 07:30:12 PM

I always think it's a measure of how far Roscommon have fallen that they look back on Tommy Carr's time in charge as some sort of golden era.

As I recall Mayo have never once rampaged through the entire Qualifiers. I'm sure we can put in a good word for you with Tom..

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2013, 07:53:03 PM

As I recall Mayo have never once rampaged through the entire Qualifiers. I'm sure we can put in a good word for you with Tom..

2002, actually. Winning Connacht a few times in the other years, the odd All-Ireland final. You know yourself - or at least, you might have read about it in the papers.

Syferus

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 14, 2013, 09:09:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2013, 07:53:03 PM

2002, actually. Winning Connacht a few times in the other years, the odd All-Ireland final. You know yourself - or at least, you might have read about it in the papers.

Was it not from R2? ;)

ross4life

In 2003 we had a good run in the qualifiers but that was more about the brilliance of Frankie Dolan than Carr. Before Carr took over we were established div 1 side by the time he left we were stuggling to win games in the lower leagues (still are)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on May 15, 2013, 12:03:59 AM

In 2003 we had a good run in the qualifiers but that was more about the brilliance of Frankie Dolan than Carr. Before Carr took over we were established div 1 side by the time he left we were stuggling to win games in the lower leagues (still are)

Mayo and Galway had shalacked us in 2002 (a first in itself because we met Mayo in that, ahem, great AIQ run of their's) so it's not like he was taking on a team brimming with confidence. Carr's reign gets turfed in with Maughan's but at least Carr put some shape on us in the first two years of his term. Very few managers' terms end in glory and we'd be better served to remember that when judging our own.

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 14, 2013, 06:49:21 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 14, 2013, 04:03:39 PM
Tommy Carr is an idiot. For an intelligent and articulate guy can never understand why his analysis is always based on perception and stereotype.

Ah Tommy's alright.

He managed the only Dublin team Kildare could manage to beat in recent memory!

He prefers to be called TOM.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 14, 2013, 10:18:21 AM
Listen, it's RTE.
Just accept their coverage is going to be rubbish.
Then on the rare occasion when it isn't, it'll be a pleasant surprise.
Good point, Jinxy. Some of the stuff discussed on this site is far superior to anything RTE broadcasts. I wonder why that is.
Is it that sport is just another line in light entertainment? 
Or is it RTEs target audience?

Fuzzman

Did any of ye see that article from the Times at the weekend?
Where they had an interview with Spillane, Ger Loughnane & I think Marty Carney.
They were trying to present the case that they're not analysts and get no preparation work
Its more like a group of biased lads giving their own opinions on games like lads do in the pub.
They said the focus is more on entertainment and not analysis.

Spillane certainly hates Brolly and says the man never shuts up during the whole match and then during the TV time.

Jinxy

The thing is, sport on TV isn't geared towards actual sports fans.
They KNOW you will watch regardless of how rubbish the commentary/analysis is.
The main aim is to pull in the casual viewer.
If you were any use you'd be playing.