"Inspirational" Season Turning Moments

Started by belleaqua, November 23, 2006, 02:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belleaqua

While looking at the motivational music thread this thought came into my head, has anyone any examples of events where players/managers etc look back on a year after winning an All Ireland/Provincial Title/Club All Ireland and say this incident was the turning point...this is when we knew we were going to do it..etc...like maybe Ger Loughnane in 95, telling his players after the League Final defeat that they would win a Munster Title!!

Just wondering to people buy into that stuff as you will only hear about it when teams win. The cases below i think are examples of incidents that would be blown out of proportion had the results at the end of the year been different.

Example: Had Mayo won the All Ireland this year, id imagine all the talk would have been about them taking up residence in the Hill before they overcame Dublin and this was the psychological turning point that helped them go on and win the All Ireland.

Or my own own personal favourite even Galway man....i didnt witness the incident but heard it from many with a better view, one of our hurlers Thurles this year(wont name him because I didnt see it myself) "laced" John Tennyson as he crossed him after the parade broke up. That didnt work to good as Tennyson had a stormer and the other player in question...well he had something of the opposite.

Any other such stories (mainly successful) of such incidents?

GalwayBayBoy

Surely Joe Kernan flaking his plaque against the dressing room wall will make an appearance.

Maybe Ger Loughnane being interviewed at half-time in the 95 All-Ireland.

"will ye win it Ger?"

"we will"

Granted the players might not have heard it but who knows what he said to them in the dressing-room.

Spiritof98

Eion Mulligans goal against the Dubs, I feel it got them on the road in 2005
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Fear Boirche

Not too sure what the match was, but I think I head one about Armagh in 2003 when they were down at half-time and Joe got Eamonn Mackle to bring the Sam Maguire into the changing rooms and say 'do you want to leave this here.' It worked to an extent as they got to the final but were beaten by Tyrone. (By the way that was not meant as carte blanche for another nauseating Armagh-Tyrone bashing session)

BallyhaiseMan

Agree with Spiritof98
Eoin Mulligans goal against Dublin.

johnneycool

It maybe isn't a season turning moment, but at an Munster semi final between Tipp and Clare down in Cork, there were a middle aged couple from tipp sitting beside me and they cheered like hell when Tipp came running out from below the stand and down to the Blackrock end. A few moments later Clare came running out and Ollie Baker accidentally ran into a small brick wall about 3 feet high, at the top of the tunnel and sent it flying. The woman turns to her husband and says ' I think we're in trouble today dear'.

Ger Loughnane was up to all sorts back then, pinning players down in the changing rooms, lifting gates off their hinges etc, etc, the man was mad.

Liam Griffin putting the team, player by player in the ring with Sean Collier the boxer.  :o

Bacon

Just noticed your link there Johnnycool. When did Ballygalget launch the web site? It always surprised me that none of the Ards clubs had sites. The Mitchel's must be the first.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Bud Wiser

Liam Griffin getting all the team off the bus when they were crossing the Wexford border on their way to the All-Ireland Final and citing what their fathers and fathers before them fought for on the side of the road.  I think he even threw in a bit about 1798 but he told them when they were crossing it on the way home he wanted the McCarthy Cup with them or they would be letting down their county.   

The Bottom Brick

Loughnane also brought his team out training on a pitch right beside Shannon airport to train, so they would get used to the noise level in Croker.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Bogball XV

Oh, I don't know, maybe Jack O'Connor's idea of putting Kieran Donaghy at full forward this year had a bit of an impact on Kerry, and Longford, and Armagh, and Cork and poor Mayo too.

full back

Although I hate to say it, Donaghy catching the ball above Bellew and crashing it to the net, was for me the turning point this year-Kerry never looked back

Gnevin

Vaughans two inspired kicks which led the dubs to their first Leinster in 3 years
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ildanach

Jimmy Nallen bombing up the field in 96 to score a goal against kerry in the semi final. We did not win the all ireland, but it was a great moment
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Fuzzman

Meath's powerhouse display against Tyrone in 1996.

Up til that point we thought we could win an AI with nice attractive attacking football and small forwards.

Kerry in 2003 and the whole country were waiting for the best game of the year but instead Tyrone turned the screw on the Kerry style who have now changed their game plan to do the same.

Yeah Mugsy's performances changed after that wonder goal but maybe his goal in the 2nd match in front of the hill put the Dub's to the sword as they were storming back at the start of the second half.

How about Kernan pulling off Geezer in that semi in 2005. Was that a turning point for both teams?

Sean3

Michael Bond taking over the Offaly hurlers from Babs in 98. Went from also rans to champions.