Derry 1993 - 25 years on

Started by ONeill, August 17, 2018, 01:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2018, 12:56:45 PM
I always felt Derry was Ulsters best chance to keep the run going in 1995. Tyrone beat them, but I thought they wouldn't have enough to win an AI. And so it proved. 1995 was a big opportunity for Derry to win a second AI.

It's weird that that team never really got close again.

Agree. If there was a backdoor in 1995, Derry would have had their 2nd all-ireland.

Ambrose

Quote from: clarshack on September 23, 2018, 04:20:04 PM
I always felt Derry was Ulsters best chance to keep the run going in 1995. Tyrone beat them, but I thought they wouldn't have enough to win an AI. And so it proved. 1995 was a big opportunity for Derry to win a second AI.

Agree. If there was a backdoor in 1995, Derry would have had their 2nd all-ireland.

You could also say that if the back door had been introduced in 93 they may not have any All Irelands.

They never got close again because they got rid of Coleman after the loss to Down in 94. A game that really could have gone either way. Down weren't really tested after that on their way to their fifth All Ireland title, which tells you how good that particular Derry team was. But the knives were out for the wee man from Ballymaguigan after the game in Celtic Park and we all know now just how wrong your county board was.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

thejuice

Just looking at the highlights of those games again now. I just remember us being delighted to see Dublin and Cork getting beat. Derry were bridging a 35 year gap from their previous final in 1958. I don't suppose anyone here has memories of that game?

But other memories of that year was of course Tohill and Brolly.
The winning Derry point against Dublin was fantastic.
Charlie Redmond and his bloody run ups to kick a free
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rrhf

Dont know , they couldn't beat a 13 man tyrone team in 95. They sacked Coleman in 94. They hadn't really a serious forward line and they played an auld done cork team in the final and just about bate them.  Armagh were a much better football team in 02. As joe Kernan says it takes a great team to win 2.

oakleaflad

Quote from: rrhf on September 24, 2018, 07:03:48 AM

Dont know , they couldn't beat a 13 man tyrone team in 95. They sacked Coleman in 94. They hadn't really a serious forward line and they played an auld done cork team in the final and just about bate them.  Armagh were a much better football team in 02. As joe Kernan says it takes a great team to win 2.
Thought we were much the better team myself and the semi final was a tougher test.
Football was much better nearly a decade later just as it is much better these days. Hard to compare.

Real Talk

Quote from: rrhf on September 24, 2018, 07:03:48 AM

That Cork team bate Mayo 5 15 to 0-10 ... doesn't read like a " auld done" score

five points

Quote from: Real Talk on September 24, 2018, 01:17:41 PM
That Cork team bate Mayo 5 15 to 0-10 ... doesn't read like a " auld done" score

A demoralised Mayo team that had won the Connacht final by 1-5 to 0-7, and who lost the following year to Leitrim...

BennyCake

3 late Cork goals that day made it worse than it was. Not that Mayo we're great like.

Jacko was Mayo manager that year if I recall.