The Official Daddies Club

Started by Under Lights, July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Do they not do aptimal comfort in ready made cartons?

muppet

Quote from: Under Lights on July 17, 2015, 10:56:38 AM
Weddings, babies, formals. All very over priced gear. People are willing to spend extortionate prices on happy occasions.
Agree about the buy off a colleague advice. Target women who are past their sell by date though. They'll only sell whenever they are done breeding.

Make sure you make this very clear to them. It helps to negotiate the price down quite a bit.
MWWSI 2017

Rudi

Quote from: CD on July 19, 2015, 12:27:48 PM
Right lads, our holiday plans have been curtailed due to a family illness and we can't travel too far from home - overnight at most. We usually spend most of the summer in Donegal but are stuck in Belfast. I need loads of suggestions for cheap days out with three kids under 6. This week has been a disaster with the terrible weather and we've exhausted all the indoor stuff the city has to offer. Thinking of Dublin Zoo and Tayto Park with a stay over this week. Anyone else done this - recommend any family friendly hotels for us?

Tayto park is very expensive, 14 euro each in, 16 euro each for wrist band to go on all rides. Can use tokens but that won't take you very far. Wait in line for half hour to get in, then wait between 50mins and 2hrs to go on the rides, even the gammy ones. Fine place, with a great dinner (about 12 euro I think) but the waiting would kill ya. Height and weight restrictions apply on rides. Under 1.3 meters height no zip line, over 16 stone no zip line either. Hotels around Meath/ Dublin are very expensive this time of year at short notice. Sorry bout the family illness.

BarryBreensBandage

Right lads, our holiday plans have been curtailed due to a family illness and we can't travel too far from home - overnight at most. We usually spend most of the summer in Donegal but are stuck in Belfast. I need loads of suggestions for cheap days out with three kids under 6. This week has been a disaster with the terrible weather and we've exhausted all the indoor stuff the city has to offer. Thinking of Dublin Zoo and Tayto Park with a stay over this week. Anyone else done this - recommend any family friendly hotels for us?

Ulster Museum is well worth a visit if you haven't already been. Cressida Cowell exhibition at the minute (How to train your dragon)
Sliabh Gullion Park in South Armagh great for a day out- free playpark and walking trails.
Castlewellan Forest Park for the maze and the kids mountain bike track, although the track may be a bit advanced for U6s.
Have heard that this place is great - Kilruddery House outside Bray
http://www.killruddery.com/whats-on/

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Ulick

Wouldn't go anywhere near Tayto with children that young. Belfast is handy enough for decent day trips. As mentioned Castlwellan Forest Park is only 45-50 minutes away. Our young children love the big maze there and the arboretum. Would easily kill the best part of a day there and is a handy jaunt into Newcastle then for a bite to eat, paddle in the sea or quick go in the amusements.
Also in the Mournes is the Silent Valley Mountain Park. There are stunning walks around the park and an adventure playground. Our kids particularly love running and rolling down the big grass bank on one side of the dam. On your way there stop at the "magic road" next to Spelga dam and let the car roll uphill. Also handy to Newcastle and everything there.
Tollymore Forest Park is also a good place to spend the day.
Going a different direction there's a good day out to be had down around Armagh. The Planetarium does light shows in the mornings for young children and have lot of indoor activities to put in another hour or two. The gardens around the Planetarium are good for walks and picnics. Follow that up with a trip onto Navan Fort. At the fort there's an interpretative centre that has lots of things for young children including re-enactments, arts and crafts, treasure hunts and a Celtic settlement where the kids get to make flour and the like.
Castle Espie Wetland Centre over by Comber is another good day out. Young children love the duck sanctuary and it also has a good adventure playground. From there you could go on round to the aquarium in Portaferry, get the ferry over to Strangford and a paddle on the beach at Ballyhornan.
Closer to home we always found Cavehill Park pretty decent. There's a massive adventure playground up there the kids could easily spend a few hours in. Next to it is Belfast Castle and Cavehill country park with lots of decent walks. Again ideal for picnics.

thewobbler

Would agree with all this but i would also firmly add Tayto Park back in.

I've a 4.5 year old, twins at 3, and wee girl at one. We went to Tayto last summer and this and they absolutely loved it.

Yep the big rides aren't for them, but it's got probably the bet adventure playground in Ireland, an excellent zoo, a dinosaur exhibition, a train ride, some water jet play areas, magic shows, face painting... plus very good food. All in one of the safest environments you could imagine.

We arrived at 11am, left at 6pm and never had to look for something to do or field a whinge the entire day. And because they're too young for the expensive rides, it's win-win! They even enjoyed the tayto factory tour.

Ulick

Thanks Wobbler, that's good to know.

CD

Thanks for all the tips and advice lads! Had another few days in Donegal there and back to Belfast on Saturday. I've never been to the Mournes so I'll try that. The weather is so dreadful at the moment that most of the outdoor activities are out!
A friend has recommended geocaching as a good way to entice kids out and about in the bad weather - wellies and raincoats after lunch here and we'll give it a go for a couple of hours. Anyone else tried it?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

pullhard

Quote from: thewobbler on July 26, 2015, 08:15:15 PM

I've a 4.5 year old, twins at 3, and wee girl at one. We went to Tayto last summer and this and they absolutely loved it.

Yep the big rides aren't for them, but it's got probably the bet adventure playground in Ireland, an excellent zoo, a dinosaur exhibition, a train ride, some water jet play areas, magic shows, face painting... plus very good food. All in one of the safest environments you could imagine.

We arrived at 11am, left at 6pm and never had to look for something to do or field a whinge the entire day. And because they're too young for the expensive rides, it's win-win! They even enjoyed the tayto factory tour.

WOW!

tbrick18

+1
Went last summer kids were aged 8,7,5 and twin 2 year olds. Something for them all. I didnt find it overly expensive though others seem to think it is.
We plan on going back this year.

gawa316

Quote from: pullhard on July 27, 2015, 02:17:31 PM

WOW!

Was just thinking the same thing. I've a 5, 3 and 1 yr old and it's fecking hard work never mind throwing another one in there

muppet

MWWSI 2017

gawa316

Quote from: muppet on July 27, 2015, 05:48:31 PM
Jebus lads, seriously:

I'm just starting the process! Sent all the paperwork in, just need to call for an appointment.

Had a wee scare last month and it scared the bejaysus outta me!!!!

Ulick

We had a family photo taken at the weekend (children now 5, 4, 3, 2 and 9 months). Herself takes a look at it and says "I think there's room in there for another one or two".   :o

omaghjoe

Quote from: Ulick on July 27, 2015, 08:10:41 PM
We had a family photo taken at the weekend (children now 5, 4, 3, 2 and 9 months). Herself takes a look at it and says "I think there's room in there for another one or two".   :o

Feck off Ulick your not serious? Your more prolific than Phil the power Taylor!

On a serious note how do yis manage? Yis must have fierce help on the go