The Official Daddies Club

Started by Under Lights, July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Mini-me turned 13 in July.  Starting to get more independent which I enjoy watching but I'm bricking myself about the next three years.  We had  a serious chat last night about drugs and whilst some of you might think that that is a bit much at his age, he told me he has been having these drug awareness classes in school.  It was fantastic to see it from his perspective; as a teenager we only got told not to cycle in Moneydig or give cheek to the army/cops.  However with the epidemic of meth use in Perth it is sad to say he has already seen the effects with stoners flailing around the streets and what have you.

There is only so much protection a parent can give.

(PS, the birds and bees have been well catered for...by his mates!  I attempted to "explore" the conversation but was told it wasn't necessary. :o )
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Aerlik on September 02, 2014, 02:42:54 PM
Mini-me turned 13 in July.  Starting to get more independent which I enjoy watching but I'm bricking myself about the next three years.  We had  a serious chat last night about drugs and whilst some of you might think that that is a bit much at his age, he told me he has been having these drug awareness classes in school.  It was fantastic to see it from his perspective; as a teenager we only got told not to cycle in Moneydig or give cheek to the army/cops.  However with the epidemic of meth use in Perth it is sad to say he has already seen the effects with stoners flailing around the streets and what have you.

There is only so much protection a parent can give.

(PS, the birds and bees have been well catered for...by his mates!  I attempted to "explore" the conversation but was told it wasn't necessary. :o )

Try having those type of conversations with a 13 year old daughter!!! Head melt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

el_cuervo_fc

Joined this club two weeks ago with the birth of a wee girl.  It's been a while in the waiting but well worth it.  Now the fun begins

Under Lights

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on September 02, 2014, 04:06:45 PM
Joined this club two weeks ago with the birth of a wee girl.  It's been a while in the waiting but well worth it.  Now the fun begins

Great news El Cuervo. Keep us updated on what you learn.
Are you still off on paternity?

My one advice would be before you go to bed at night to sterilise the bottles so that your mrs doesn't have the hassle the next day when she is trying to attend to the little one.

Also be as hands on as you can in the first stages as you can- imo there is no such thing as spoiling them at that age.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Under Lights on September 02, 2014, 04:10:49 PM

My one advice would be before you go to bed at night to sterilise the bottles so that your mrs doesn't have the hassle the next day when she is trying to attend to the little one.

Also be as hands on as you can in the first stages as you can- imo there is no such thing as spoiling them at that age.

Cheers.  Took 2 weeks off on Paternity but had to go back this week because I'm self employed and need to pay the bills.  There's no statutory Paternity pay in the north for self employed people.

It's been a roller coaster ride so far and it's definitely a shock to the system.  Feeding every three hours fairly takes its toll but it's mad craic all the same.

I've now learnt that I am now 3rd in charge in the house, or more simply, not in charge at all any more.

laoislad

Fair play el eurevo.
Wait till you have a second one. Having one is like owning a dog having two is like running a Zoo...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Under Lights

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on September 02, 2014, 04:21:45 PM

Cheers.  Took 2 weeks off on Paternity but had to go back this week because I'm self employed and need to pay the bills.  There's no statutory Paternity pay in the north for self employed people.

It's been a roller coaster ride so far and it's definitely a shock to the system.  Feeding every three hours fairly takes its toll but it's mad craic all the same.

I've now learnt that I am now 3rd in charge in the house, or more simply, not in charge at all any more.

It's unbelievable how quick the 3 hours between feeds go- my tip regarding the bottles will help your partner out in this regards while you are at work. Steal as much time as you can with her as you can. I know whenever we started out we had a lot of visitors most nights- with me only being home from work it was sometimes difficult to get a look in with my own wee one at times. Saturdays were great though as the woman would go do the shopping and it was just Daddy time. Nothing better than your child falling asleep on your shoulder.

You'll find yourself wondering in the evenings what you done with your time before you were a daddy.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Under Lights on September 02, 2014, 04:30:36 PM

It's unbelievable how quick the 3 hours between feeds go- my tip regarding the bottles will help your partner out in this regards while you are at work. Steal as much time as you can with her as you can. I know whenever we started out we had a lot of visitors most nights- with me only being home from work it was sometimes difficult to get a look in with my own wee one at times. Saturdays were great though as the woman would go do the shopping and it was just Daddy time. Nothing better than your child falling asleep on your shoulder.

You'll find yourself wondering in the evenings what you done with your time before you were a daddy.

This is 100% :) Also this is 100%
QuoteNothing better than your child falling asleep on your shoulder.

Hereiam

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 04:31:41 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on September 02, 2014, 04:30:36 PM

This is 100% :) Also this is 100%
QuoteNothing better than your child falling asleep on your shoulder.

Coming from a farming background and the fact I have 3 kids under 5, I would love my evenings back again. Can get nothing done.

Under Lights

Do you have a 7 seater Hereiam?
I reckon you'd need a 7 seater with two wee ones on account of car seats being so friging big.

Brick Tamlin

On another note, the eldest starts primary school tomorrow.
She spritely about it and thinks its gonna be great (god love her she hasn't a clue whats actually going on), but id say she will be jiggered after a few days and it wil take it out of her. Hopefully it will also put some manners on her as of late she has been a wee madam in general. Bullies the wee one, answerin back, givin lip, tantrums, screamin and stompin feet etc. If this is only the beginning I cant wait until she is a teenager  ???

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: laoislad on September 02, 2014, 04:29:03 PM
Fair play el eurevo.
Wait till you have a second one. Having one is like owning a dog having two is like running a Zoo...

One is plenty for the minute!!  Give me a few months anyway.  I happened to mention it to her the other day in jest and she near had a fit.  Probably not the best conversation piece at 3am.

I've took to sterilising bottles flat out and I went a bought a pile more the other day to make sure there's a good stack handy.

It is definitely an unreal feeling when she falls asleep lying on my chest. 

Hereiam

Quote from: Under Lights on September 02, 2014, 04:41:06 PM
Do you have a 7 seater Hereiam?
I reckon you'd need a 7 seater with two wee ones on account of car seats being so friging big.

No. I put 2 cushions down between the two car seats for the 1yr old and 3yr old as a booster and the just turned 5yr old sits there with the middle belt on.

Estimator

Regarding bottles, the thing to buy is the Tommy Tippee perfect prep machine. It freshly prepares, ready to serve bottles in under two minutes. Absolute life saver for the night feed. No waiting on boiled water cooling, no prior prep work required. We didn't have it for Child 1, but it has been great for Child 2. Takes the hassle out of bottle making plus it's idiot proof.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hereiam

Brick we are going through the same with our 5 year old who started P1 yesterday. Has got cheeky of late but you don't want to supress them to much. I am hoping school will settle him a bit. Work for me so I have been told.