Started by Dinny Breen, June 01, 2016, 03:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Is this Championship, or League and Championship combined?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2016, 03:47:53 PM
Is this Championship, or League and Championship combined?

Assuming both, doubt even Carlow would have given so many championship debuts in such few games.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

True, although with the turnover they have you wouldn't know :)

From the Bunker

What about Waterford, London and Kilkenny?

twohands!!!

When you think of how far Kerry would have gone in the championship over the last 10 years, it's amazing that Kerry are the lowest.

I'd imagine the fact that they still have a decent chunk of over 30s (O'Mahoney, O'Se, Donaghy etc) on the go is probably responsible for a lot of this. Also Kerry haven't done much at U21 level the last 10 years so not as if there has been a deluge of lads knocking on the door. Thinking about it Sligo had a couple of years who have given good long years of service around the squad. Donegal at 3rd is no surprise at all given the squad makeup especially during McGuinness's time. I would have thought Dublin would be higher up than 4th.

The 8 lowest are Kerry, Sligo, Donegal, Dublin, Monaghan, Longford, Mayo and Cork - a lot of Division 1 time in there

The 8 highest are Carlow, Derry, Leitrim, Cavan, Tipperary, Clare, Roscommon, Limerick - a lot of Division 4 time in there

However the question is cause-and-effect - Do lads in Kerry tend to stay on because they know they are likely to be in with a shout for silverware or are they in with a shout for silverware because lads tend to stay on?

Jinxy

A lot of Carlow lads only showing up for a free jersey.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 01, 2016, 04:17:40 PM
When you think of how far Kerry would have gone in the championship over the last 10 years, it's amazing that Kerry are the lowest.

I'd imagine the fact that they still have a decent chunk of over 30s (O'Mahoney, O'Se, Donaghy etc) on the go is probably responsible for a lot of this. Also Kerry haven't done much at U21 level the last 10 years so not as if there has been a deluge of lads knocking on the door. Thinking about it Sligo had a couple of years who have given good long years of service around the squad. Donegal at 3rd is no surprise at all given the squad makeup especially during McGuinness's time. I would have thought Dublin would be higher up than 4th.

The 8 lowest are Kerry, Sligo, Donegal, Dublin, Monaghan, Longford, Mayo and Cork - a lot of Division 1 time in there

The 8 highest are Carlow, Derry, Leitrim, Cavan, Tipperary, Clare, Roscommon, Limerick - a lot of Division 4 time in there

However the question is cause-and-effect - Do lads in Kerry tend to stay on because they know they are likely to be in with a shout for silverware or are they in with a shout for silverware because lads tend to stay on?

Roscommon spent a single year in D4 in that period. Also happens to be the year we were Connacht champions.

shark

I think that's it exactly. You stay playing if it's enjoyable. It's not enjoyable when you keep losing. The novelty of being an inter county player wears off very quickly. A friend of mine, who is football mad, played a year in division 4 back in around 2008. He was in his early 20's, started every league game and both championship games. Didn't go back for a second year as said it just wasn't worth it.

Cunny Funt

Some very interesting stats

Having a look at the 5 with lowest number of players used 

Monaghan -  2 provincial titles in the last 3 year and have established themselves as a top 6 and div one team.

Dublin - Dominating Leinster, 3 All Irelands won with many more to come

Donegal - last decade probably was their most successful ever at senior level, 3 Ulsters,1 All Ireland and got close to another AI two years ago.

Sligo -  Reached 4 provincial finals winning one which is probably the best they have done in any decade.

Kerry - 4 All Irelands won and still there or thereabouts for a 5th one this year.

Stability and less chopping and changing seems to be one of keys to success nowadays.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2016, 05:11:41 PM

Roscommon spent a single year in D4 in that period. Also happens to be the year we were Connacht champions.
Note the bit in bold, not all, a lot. But well done on trying to turn another thread towards discussing Roscommon yet again.

Not all that surprised that we are so low, up to 2010/11 the turnover of players wasn't terribly high. A lot more happening in recent years.

Il Bomber Destro

I would say a reason for Kerry having players that stay on so long in their careers is the Championship structure.

I think they are able to rest players up for August every year in complete comfort that due to the cakewalk that Cork and Kerry have in Munster they will be in the last 12.

I think when you compare and contrast that to Donegal and Tyrone, it's very different - they seem to be much more shot in their later years. Only really Sean Cavanagh, Dooher and Gormley were able to play to a fairly high standards in their 30s. Donegal are in a similar boat when you look at how done the likes of McFadden, Lacey etc now look. Ulster is an attritional battle and despite what some may think the qualifiers are no cake walk (or weren't).

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 01, 2016, 05:46:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2016, 05:11:41 PM

Note the bit in bold, not all, a lot. But well done on trying to turn another thread towards discussing Roscommon yet again.

Not all that surprised that we are so low, up to 2010/11 the turnover of players wasn't terribly high. A lot more happening in recent years.

Still mad about that year I guess. It was worth losing last year to win that one. Daft post by you, trying to make out responding to something someone else said was me making it about Roscommon.

Hardy

Imagine how good Kerry would be if they had more players.