Armagh v Cavan 29/5/2016

Started by tonto1888, May 03, 2016, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

at a post wedding party so i cant attend otherwise i would be there but we always travel in numbers and im hoping its the same this weekend. However there does seem to be a lot of apathy towards these currant Armagh squad.

Sometimes teams can turn corners and maybe this is our time, a few lads step up and a few lads come off the bench and make a mark on the game and you never know.

JP

The last time we got relagated to Division 3 and played Cavan in the first round we got to the AI quarterfinal.

I'm flying home from London for this one, hope people make the short journey to Breffni park and give the lads some support.

naka

Quote from: Throw ball on May 24, 2016, 10:14:12 PM
To be fair if Cavan cannot beat Armagh at home this Sunday it will take something special in the qualifiers to satisfy their supporters. They are physically superior to Armagh in most areas of the field, Armagh have no midfield and they have 4 first choice forwards unavailable for the summer. Many Armagh supporters are staying at home to watch it on TV. A close encounter in a game of quality football would satisfy most that are travelling.
Tbf most Armagh supporters realise that these guys are committed to the jersey and will do there best
They mightn't win but they won't be found wanting
Looking forward to it
We will be okay

Itchy

Jason McLaughlin out for Cavan, massive loss.

naka

Morrison
Morgan vernon shields
Mallon a Forker mc keever
Donaghy Rafferty
Grugan kernan o hanlon
Watters Campbell mc Parland

Surprised mc Kenna not at 11

Captain Obvious

Quote from: JP on May 25, 2016, 02:35:30 PM
The last time we got relagated to Division 3 and played Cavan in the first round we got to the AI quarterfinal.

In fairness the Armagh team of two years ago was stronger team than now. How many starters from that team is starting Sunday six or seven?

regal

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 26, 2016, 10:06:53 PM
Quote from: JP on May 25, 2016, 02:35:30 PM

In fairness the Armagh team of two years ago was stronger team than now. How many starters from that team is starting Sunday six or seven?

7 I think. McKenna is a massive loss if he isn't available. What forwards will we have available from the bench - sforker / mcverry / hall?

illdecide

Quote from: naka on May 26, 2016, 09:51:03 PM
Morrison
Morgan vernon shields
Donaghy Rafferty
Grugan kernan o hanlon

I was told earlier in the week that the team named will not be the team to play...but sure that's the norm anyway
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on May 27, 2016, 09:10:23 AM
Quote from: naka on May 26, 2016, 09:51:03 PM
Morrison
Morgan vernon shields
Donaghy Rafferty
Grugan kernan o hanlon

I was told earlier in the week that the team named will not be the team to play...but sure that's the norm anyway

I'd say McKenna will def come in.  Probably for either watters or mcpartland.

naka

Chatting last night
Feeling was that we had too many small men last time and have gone for physical presence
Whilst very good mc Kenna is quite smal and Cavan do try and run from deep
If a change it may be findon coming on

Donaghy moving back
And Forker going into forward line
Grugan to drop to bench?

mackers

Quote from: naka on May 27, 2016, 10:45:44 AM
Chatting last night
Feeling was that we had too many small men last time and have gone for physical presence

Donaghy moving back
Grugan to drop to bench?
That would be as bad a move as not playing McKenna.  As illdecide has said Geezer is a big man for naming dummy teams and there will be changes from that listed.  McKenna and Grugan both have to play because these two along with Soupy are our only chance of unlocking a tight Cavan defence.  Findon may play at full back as Charlie got roasted in the league game and had to be switched.  Givney and McKiernan caused all sorts of bother in the league and the physicality in the centre of our defence had to be addressed.  Morgan and McKeever will help with this side of things. 
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Rufus T Firefly

Grugan to drop to bench?

Given Grugan's form in the latter stages of the league, I would hope not. I thought he began showing glimpses of the player that we hoped he would become from his minor days. Given his own personal circumstances, that was particularly worthy of praise. A starting Championship place would recognize that and hopefully increase the lad's confidence. 

seafoid

Quote from: mackers on May 27, 2016, 11:12:02 AM
Chatting last night

Donaghy moving back
Grugan to drop to bench?
That would be as bad a move as not playing McKenna.  As illdecide has said Geezer is a big man for naming dummy teams and there will be changes from that listed.  McKenna and Grugan both have to play because these two along with Soupy are our only chance of unlocking a tight Cavan defence.  Findon may play at full back as Charlie got roasted in the league game and had to be switched.  Givney and McKiernan caused all sorts of bother in the league and the physicality in the centre of our defence had to be addressed.  Morgan and McKeever will help with this side of things.

Cavan do a lot of backwards passing
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-statistics-cavan-s-sideways-passing-shows-no-faith-in-talent-1.2660698

a Cavan team who kicked only 26 per cent of their passes in that game. A Cavan team who kicked or handpassed 41 per cent of their passes laterally. And 16 per cent of them backwards.

Against Tyrone Cavan handpassed 159 times – it was no surprise then that it took 13 minutes for Givney to touch the ball. He would only touch it seven times over the 70 plus minutes.

you take er!

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on May 25, 2016, 12:01:53 AM
at a post wedding party so i cant attend otherwise i would be there but we always travel in numbers and im hoping its the same this weekend. However there does seem to be a lot of apathy towards these currant Armagh squad.

Sometimes teams can turn corners and maybe this is our time, a few lads step up and a few lads come off the bench and make a mark on the game and you never know.

I'm not sure apathy is the right term to use. I think as GAA supporters we can look to positive signs or signs of momentum to encourage more numbers. I remember us playing Tyrone back in 2000 in clones in the championship - we were Ulster Champions and there was little expected of Tyrone with a young team. Tyrone didn't travel in numbers, I'd say we outnumbered them at least 2:1 and those who were there were very quiet (it was bliss!) a 4 point win masked our control of the game but fast forward a couple of years and Tyrone would've filled Croke park on their own almost.  Our league campaign & relegation along with squad departures have left supporters a little devoid of hope. A good performance (or even an unlikely win) would bring back that optimism along with greater numbers.

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2016, 11:22:25 AM
Quote from: mackers on May 27, 2016, 11:12:02 AM
Chatting last night

Donaghy moving back
Grugan to drop to bench?

Cavan do a lot of backwards passing
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-statistics-cavan-s-sideways-passing-shows-no-faith-in-talent-1.2660698

a Cavan team who kicked only 26 per cent of their passes in that game. A Cavan team who kicked or handpassed 41 per cent of their passes laterally. And 16 per cent of them backwards.

Against Tyrone Cavan handpassed 159 times – it was no surprise then that it took 13 minutes for Givney to touch the ball. He would only touch it seven times over the 70 plus minutes.

That really is stupid article Seafood. I thought we'd moved on from Pat Spillane counting the number of hand passes in a match