Armagh v Cavan 29/5/2016

Started by tonto1888, May 03, 2016, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Westside on May 22, 2016, 07:44:22 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 22, 2016, 06:06:23 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 22, 2016, 06:01:08 PM
Quinn is a Fermanagh man you clown. I'm confused as to which state you are referring to. Listen go back to playschool now like a good wee boy.

I didn't mention anything about where he was from.

I did mention the way Cavan people revere a white collar criminal yet you (a Cavan man) get on your high horse about how other people regard fuel smugglers.

I would brush up on my comprehension skills if I was you.

We're just not as morally superior as counties where you could, let's say, murder your father and have the County Manager speak in your defence.

And the mask slips.

Orior

Hard to see anything except a Cavan win. They should save their efforts for Tyrone.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

yellowcard

Quote from: Westside on May 22, 2016, 07:44:22 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 22, 2016, 06:06:23 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 22, 2016, 06:01:08 PM
Quinn is a Fermanagh man you clown. I'm confused as to which state you are referring to. Listen go back to playschool now like a good wee boy.

I didn't mention anything about where he was from.

I did mention the way Cavan people revere a white collar criminal yet you (a Cavan man) get on your high horse about how other people regard fuel smugglers.

I would brush up on my comprehension skills if I was you.

We're just not as morally superior as counties where you could, let's say, murder your father and have the County Manager speak in your defence.

Despicable comment in an age where mental health is such an issue.

omagh_gael

Take that shit down Westside. Disgraceful comment.

cavanmaniac

On the game itself, I think Cavan are a little vulnerable here. We can give a game to most sides but despite an overall upwards trajectory in recent seasons, excusably v Kerry in 2013, inexcusably v Monaghan in 2015 and v Tyrone in the league final all shows that no real progress is being made in getting close to challenging the leading lights. There's still the look of a raw, inexperienced team in the earlier stages of a learning curve - instead of a seasoned enough team with a culture of winning underage that has been together for a decent length of time under the same manager. They say the right things about feeling they're good enough to make a breakthrough, but while Kerry '13 could be glossed over and explained away as the first bite at the cherry, since then (especially Monaghan last year) there was the real lack of learning, cuteness and craft evident that you look to pick out in a team that's really ready to go places.

Similarly v Tyrone a few weeks ago, it looked like Cavan were being kept comfortably at arm's length after a bright enough opening. While not beating Tyrone is hardly an embarrassment, a team that has designs on making a real impact should show something a little better than they did and overall they still look quite a bit short.

Against Armagh, it leaves the situation poised nicely. Will the failure to challenge Tyrone in any real terms check Cavan's progress and raise question marks after a league campaign that put plenty of wind in our sails? Armagh won't lack for motivation and will have learned a lot in the interim. I'd be very worried about this game and if Cavan win it I can't see it being by more than a point or two.

Itchy

Cavanmaniac- Armagh today are no more experienced or cute than Cavan are. Your argument might hold water against Tyrone who are all those things due to some of the old dogs still hanging about. Cavan simply have to beat Armagh, we are a better team with better players now we need to have a game plan and attitude/balls to win it no matter what Armagh throw at us.

mackers

I'd normally be an optimist but this is little to be positive about from an Armagh perspective.  It's looking like we will have some of our more experienced players available but they are very lightly raced and it's hard to know what sort of impact they will have on Sunday.  A large problem in the league game was Shea Heffron getting roasted at CHB and being left there for 70 minutes.  Cavan marched up the middle of our defence at will that evening with Heffron's bag out early doors. It was unfair on Heffron who is one of our better prospects going forward.  You would imagine that Ciaran McKeever will not allow that to happen.  A lot also rests on Ethan Rafferty's shoulders.  He finished the league off well in MF and he's a tremendous athlete but he needs to get us some ball in the MF sector against a very strong Cavan middle third.  We've had problems in MF for some time now.
Derry's performance yesterday puts a different light on the feel good factor generated by the win against them in the final league game.
I'd expect this one to go to Cavan with 4 or 5 points to spare.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

Armagh are motoring rightly and finished off the league positively (although we still got relegated the damage was done in the 1st half of the league). Armagh have beaten a few decent teams recently in Challenge games and are in decent shape with good motivation for this Cavan game, I think the game will be close and Armagh can sneak it.
It will be interesting to see the team selection as KMcG may not even play some of the guys who were injured and may have them in reserve for final 20 mins where we can win this, defensively we're looking stronger and i just hope our forwards can click and get enough scores on the board. Believe it or not i think the lads are playing better without Jamie Clarke in the team and that's no way a dig at Jamie (who is pure class) i think when Jamie is playing we're always looking for him to give the ball too but without him they're kinda stepping up to the plate more themselves and taking more responsibility. Looking forward to this...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

yellowcard

The key to this game for Armagh will rest with Micheal McKenna. He is the playmaker and if he can get his hands on enough ball I think Armagh have a chance. Big games will be needed from him and Soupy Campbell up front as they are our 2 best forwards. Cavan are a functional team with an effectively ingrained system but they are more than beatable and Armagh will have no fear of them. I'd expect a proper Ulster championship match unlike the previous 2 damp squibs.

seafoid

Cana are fragile enough. But armagh are too...

Orior

Quote from: yellowcard on May 23, 2016, 10:58:10 AM
The key to this game for Armagh will rest with Micheal McKenna. He is the playmaker and if he can get his hands on enough ball I think Armagh have a chance. Big games will be needed from him and Soupy Campbell up front as they are our 2 best forwards. Cavan are a functional team with an effectively ingrained system but they are more than beatable and Armagh will have no fear of them. I'd expect a proper Ulster championship match unlike the previous 2 damp squibs.

However, if McGeeney gets the tactic wrong, then another damp squib is definitely on the cards. He will probably play a blanket defence, and when Armagh get the ball there are 4 possible options
1) Defence hand-pass the ball out at a pedestrian pace, until the player in pocession is swamped and loses it
2) Defence panic and kicks the ball away to a 50/50 contest
3) Defence manages to find an attacker who kicks into the keepers arms
4) Defence manages to find an attacker who kicks a wide

I'm so good at this and so pessimistic that I had to stop for my own sake.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rrhf

For some reason I suspect this to be a cracker.  Two formerly negatively balanced teams will surprise us all and go at it gung ho.. 

Harold Disgracey

Eddie Kinsella to referee the game, he'll be a disaster for at least one of the teams. He cannot keep up with the pace of the game and the majority of his decisions appear to be mostly guesswork.

yellowcard

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on May 23, 2016, 08:33:18 PM
Eddie Kinsella to referee the game, he'll be a disaster for at least one of the teams. He cannot keep up with the pace of the game and the majority of his decisions appear to be mostly guesswork.

So you've identified the scapegoat before the game even throws in.

bennydorano

Nobody will ever convince me that McGeeney wasn't acting the maggot with our line out v Cavan in the league, but I dont think it will matter come Sunday. Cavan are no Donegal, who extinguished a helluva peoples faith in Armagh's potential last year, so we've every chance.

Cant see too many surprises selection wise this year, something like -
Morrison
Murray, CV, Mallon,
Morgan, McKeever, Shields
Rafferty & Findon
Grugan, McKenna, TK
McParland, Campbell, OHanlon

Heffron loses out to accomodate Morgan, Findon & TK could very easily miss out.