Armagh v Cavan 29/5/2016

Started by tonto1888, May 03, 2016, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Rudi on May 30, 2016, 09:51:50 PM
Like the cut of this rejuvenated Cavan side. Seem to be pretty strong all over the field. Some good ball carriers and very good finishers. Monyagh looks good at centre back. 2 wing forwards are excellent ball carriers. McKiernan seems liberated that the midfield duties are lifted from him. Johnston is a decent man to kick a score. Have my doubts about the full back and full forward. Good to see a county with good tradition and great supporters back in the big time, hope they give Tyrone a good game.

I thought our full back line wasn't great but our best man market Jason McLaughlin was missing, hopefully he'll be back next day. I think Clarke played his worst half in a long time in the 2nd half.

seafoid

Itchy , how many of the u21s that won was it 2 or 3 ulsters are on the team now ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on May 30, 2016, 10:41:17 PM
Itchy , how many of the u21s that won was it 2 or 3 ulsters are on the team now ?

They won 4 in a row, something rte panellists didn't know.

Killian Clarke
Padraig Faulkner
Conor moynagh
Darragh mcvitty
Michael Argue
Fergal Flanagan
Niall Murray
Gearoid mckiernan

Subs that came on

Ciaran Brady
Jack Brady
Gerry Smith
Liam Buchanan

The year before the 4 in a row, Cavan lost the final. On that team you also had Givney and Rory Dunne. I think Keating was that age too but was injured that year.

The likes of Clarke, Jack Brady and Fergal Flanagan have 3 u21 medals.

cavanmaniac

I have to say Jack Brady looked like a man that hadn't been fed for a week when he came on. In his first two possessions he just gathered the ball, took a quick look at the posts and fired over, one off the left and one off the right, no fuss. He's reacting well to losing his starting spot, that's for sure, the problem is, would he be half as fired up if he started the next day?

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2016, 10:16:38 PM
Quote from: Rudi on May 30, 2016, 09:51:50 PM
Like the cut of this rejuvenated Cavan side. Seem to be pretty strong all over the field. Some good ball carriers and very good finishers. Monyagh looks good at centre back. 2 wing forwards are excellent ball carriers. McKiernan seems liberated that the midfield duties are lifted from him. Johnston is a decent man to kick a score. Have my doubts about the full back and full forward. Good to see a county with good tradition and great supporters back in the big time, hope they give Tyrone a good game.

I thought our full back line wasn't great but our best man market Jason McLaughlin was missing, hopefully he'll be back next day. I think Clarke played his worst half in a long time in the 2nd half.

Clarke got a roasting versus Laois too.

twohands!!!

Stats from the game

https://dontfoul.wordpress.com/

Standout stat has to be that Cavan won 14 out of 16 of their own kickouts where they went long (only went short once)  - I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be among the very top own kickout performances of the year. Galligan and his receivers did an excellent job here. However while Cavan were very good here, from what I saw Armagh were hopeless - really can't see Cavan being as successful in terms of getting the same amount of quality possession again (unless they come up against some no-hopers in the qualifiers)

Also makes mention of the poor quality of the camerawork and 9 missed kickouts [restarts if you are in Dublin]

imtommygunn

It wasn't just that they won the kickouts - when they won them oceans of space seemed to open up. I very much doubt that would happen against Tyrone.

twohands!!!

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2016, 11:58:55 AM
It wasn't just that they won the kickouts - when they won them oceans of space seemed to open up. I very much doubt that would happen against Tyrone.

Yeah - it was serious quality go-forward possession.

Totally agree that there's no way they are going to get it against Tyrone.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2016, 11:44:05 PM

Killian Clarke
Padraig Faulkner
Conor moynagh
Darragh mcvitty
Michael Argue
Fergal Flanagan
Niall Murray
Gearoid mckiernan

Subs that came on

Ciaran Brady
Jack Brady
Gerry Smith
Liam Buchanan

The year before the 4 in a row, Cavan lost the final. On that team you also had Givney and Rory Dunne. I think Keating was that age too but was injured that year.

what happened the goalie?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2016, 03:06:29 AM
Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2016, 11:44:05 PM

Killian Clarke
Padraig Faulkner
Conor moynagh
Darragh mcvitty
Michael Argue
Fergal Flanagan
Niall Murray
Gearoid mckiernan

Subs that came on

Ciaran Brady
Jack Brady
Gerry Smith
Liam Buchanan

what happened the goalie?

Alan O Mara is sub goalie.
Gilaenan was on panel last year but quit, supposedly because our current goalie was brought in.