High achieving teams that didn't win the all Ireland

Started by seafoid, June 04, 2016, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

I agree with Waterfordlad. I thought that team were hosed by the system. I remember seeing some Waterford bucks rolling around Terenure, Dublin 6, on the Wednesday after they won the first Munster, in 2003 or whenever it was, still wearing the jerseys. That must have been some session, and more power to them.

The Rossies of the late 70s have already been mentioned but I would spare a thought for the Derek-Duggan Rossies of 90/91 too. Bad beats in both semi-finals.

Mythology holds that Cork of the latter-half of the 70s were the second-best team in the country. Although that mythology gets a little shaky when you wonder if that makes Kerry or Dublin third. Cork are seldom behind the door when it comes to the self-praise.

Nudie Hughes' Monaghan of the 'eighties have been mentioned. They were an exciting prospect at a time when the Championship seemed every bit as Dublin/Kerry dominated as it seems now. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

ck

Current Rossie side could be considered as high achieving in div 1? Could they win an all Ireland? Probably not but a Connacht would certainly be on their radar.

Syferus

Quote from: ck on June 05, 2016, 12:03:24 AM
Current Rossie side could be considered as high achieving in div 1? Could they win an all Ireland? Probably not but a Connacht would certainly be on their radar.

I'd settle for beating the daylights out of Sligo for now.

ck

Quote from: Syferus on June 05, 2016, 12:17:25 AM
Quote from: ck on June 05, 2016, 12:03:24 AM

I'd settle for beating the daylights out of Sligo for now.

Will be lucky to be within 10points Syf. Carew is doing his best but I think he took us at the wrong time. I'm sure NY sorted your cobwebs.

seafoid

The current Mayo team and the 96 version should have won the All Ireland.