Pre Marriage Course

Started by mb80b60, February 05, 2016, 12:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mb80b60

I'm getting married later in the year and we're attending a pre-wedding course which is being ran by accord.  It's ran over Friday evening and Saturday.

What can I expect at this?  I understand the topics are co-ordinated by lay-people. 

No wides

Expect to be bored to tears and have nosey bastards prying into your private life, it's the biggest load of horseshite and you can refuse to do it.

No wides

Some pearls of wisdom I got - if you are arguing, go for a long walk, never raise your voice, never go to bed not speaking, oh and breed like mad, no contraception allowed! Plus you will be split into groups and have some knob who just want to hear his own voice.

redzone

Your marriage didn't last did it though

No wides

Happily married - didn't or don't need some nosey halfwit prying into my private life - but if you like that sort of thing, whatever floats your boat.

andoireabu

The one I was booked on got cancelled a couple of days before it was supposed to run so we got to do it online. Handy enough and ticked the box. Bit annoying having to do it at all though. Guides you through things like living together and family stuff even though we had lived together a couple of years and had talked about children etc. I'm sure some people take a lot from it but it seemed a money making thing to me
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Jeepers Creepers

Pretend your adults and dont do it.

Rois

My mother used to facilitate the classes.  Wouldn't call her a nosey halfwit. 

The course I went to in Ardmore in Derry was fine - pace was a bit slow, could have been done in half the time.  No priests in attendance, nothing about contraception apart from guiding you to the right place where you could find out about natural family planning, no mass, it was more about communication, dealing with problems, consideration of the other person etc.  Really did not get the feeling that anyone was ramming anything down my throat.  My non-mass-going other half was pleasantly surprised. 

Nice couple running it (they weren't married to each other).

Club Rossa

All you need is a bit of stiffness and it will guide itself.

laoislad

Didn't do one. The priest that married us said we didn't have to so that was good enough for me.
They are a load of nonsense from what I've heard anyway.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

WeeDonns

We just got talking about this last night & it seems to be booked up locally into July. We're getting married in September & don't really want it taking up a weekend of our Summer  :-\

Quote from: No wides on February 05, 2016, 12:05:43 PM
Expect to be bored to tears and have nosey b**tards prying into your private life, it's the biggest load of horseshite and you can refuse to do it.
Tell me more... do you have to do it? Our priest never mentioned anything about it but we've just presumed we have to do it as all our married friends did it...

Would people here who have done it say it was worthwhile & there're glad they did it?

No wides

Quote from: WeeDonns on February 05, 2016, 01:42:36 PM
We just got talking about this last night & it seems to be booked up locally into July. We're getting married in September & don't really want it taking up a weekend of our Summer  :-\

Quote from: No wides on February 05, 2016, 12:05:43 PM
Expect to be bored to tears and have nosey b**tards prying into your private life, it's the biggest load of horseshite and you can refuse to do it.
Tell me more... do you have to do it? Our priest never mentioned anything about it but we've just presumed we have to do it as all our married friends did it...

Would people here who have done it say it was worthwhile & there're glad they did it?

15 years ago I had to do it yes, but I think you can now refuse, I seriously doubt anyone got anything from it, though there was a lovely welcomed mass at the end!!!!

Orior

I did the pre-marriage course many many years ago.

My advice is to skip the pre-marriage course, skip the marriage, skip the kids and go straight to having grandchildren.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bensars

Biggest load of shite going. 30 years behind the times.

What do you as a couple fall out about?  Ok here's a flip chart with another 50 possible areas in case you hadn't thought of them.

Advice- given -in the middle of a blazing row, take each other's hand, look into each other's eyes and say an Our Father together - I kid you not

My advice would be to anyone, if they can avoid it, do so. 10 hours of your life you can never get back again. Cringeworthy!

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on February 05, 2016, 02:23:40 PM
I did the pre-marriage course many many years ago.

My advice is to skip the pre-marriage source, skip the marriage, skip the kids and go straight to having grandchildren.

It does sound like a load of tripe if that's what you learned on it.