The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on February 05, 2018, 08:50:08 AM
A lot of talk that McLaren is being considered for the vacancy. Apparently he was at the match on Saturday in the Directors Box. Would not be my choice. I note that Leeds are now looking for their seventh manager since 2014. Surely whoever comes in must be given some time to try and impose their own style of play / ideas on the team? This constant chopping and changing must surely in itself be linked to the problems it is designed to address.

Rufus, Stumpy and young Geraghty should be co managers with Big Beasel as the assistant, they might not win many games but by God they will fight like fack for the jersey. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Neil Lennon for me, I think he is an excellent manager.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: stew on February 06, 2018, 12:50:22 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on February 05, 2018, 08:50:08 AM
A lot of talk that McLaren is being considered for the vacancy. Apparently he was at the match on Saturday in the Directors Box. Would not be my choice. I note that Leeds are now looking for their seventh manager since 2014. Surely whoever comes in must be given some time to try and impose their own style of play / ideas on the team? This constant chopping and changing must surely in itself be linked to the problems it is designed to address.

Rufus, Stumpy and young Geraghty should be co managers with Big Beasel as the assistant, they might not win many games but by God they will fight like fack for the jersey. )

Tactical acumen might be in short supply Stew! 😀

Mourne Rover

Paul Heckingbottom is finding out quickly how frustrating a club Leeds can be. He has definitely steadied the ship since coming in and could easily have nine points from his first three games. However, a dodgy penalty when Leeds were in full control against Sheffield United was followed by a 2-2 draw at home to Sheffield United when three clear cut chances were missed late on. Then Leeds led twice away to Derby only to concede in the third minute of injury time for another draw. Effectively dropping seven points which were there for the taking has left Leeds with only the most remote prospect of a run towards the play-offs and a 15th consecutive seasons outside the Premiership beckons. Hopefully he will be given the time and the resources to have a proper crack at the job.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 23, 2018, 02:46:03 PM
Paul Heckingbottom is finding out quickly how frustrating a club Leeds can be. He has definitely steadied the ship since coming in and could easily have nine points from his first three games. However, a dodgy penalty when Leeds were in full control against Sheffield United was followed by a 2-2 draw at home to Sheffield United when three clear cut chances were missed late on. Then Leeds led twice away to Derby only to concede in the third minute of injury time for another draw. Effectively dropping seven points which were there for the taking has left Leeds with only the most remote prospect of a run towards the play-offs and a 15th consecutive seasons outside the Premiership beckons. Hopefully he will be given the time and the resources to have a proper crack at the job.

Agree with a lot of that, although I think bemoaning seven points dropped is a bit of a stretch for me. I thought we were worth a point at Bramall Lane, although I would agree we could and indeed should have taken six points from the games against Bristol City (where Lasogga hit the bar in injury time) and at Derby (where we shipped an injury time equalizer).

A few random thoughts; it's amazing that after only the first win of 2018 on Saturday, we are still very close to the play offs, and the hope would be that a run might get us into contention. The reality though is that there are too many weaknesses and de Bock is not instilling much in the way of confidence. The loss of Saiz to a six match suspension was huge and shows the lack of depth in the squad, and how much that lack of depth was exposed by needless suspensions. We need a new keeper. Lasogga is beginning to play with confidence and has an eye for goal - however he still does not convince me as being the sort of robust centre forward needed for the Championship.   

Avondhu star

The beauty of the Championship every year is that if in the top half in the Spring three or four wins can get you back in the top six as contenders drop points against each other. Villa are one to watch with a good run at the moment with the exception of a loss at Fulham (who are also a threat)
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

lurganblue

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 26, 2018, 09:48:21 AM
The beauty of the Championship every year is that if in the top half in the Spring three or four wins can get you back in the top six as contenders drop points against each other. Villa are one to watch with a good run at the moment with the exception of a loss at Fulham (who are also a threat)

Losing to Fulham ended a run of 7 wins. The home draw to Preston we were lucky to get and from watching the highlights of Saturday's game it was a bit of a smash and grab. Wednesday really should have won it.  Injuries to Grealish and Adomah recently have been a big blow to Villa. Fulham are def worth a watch.

ziggy90

Wolves are hitting a bad run of form at the wrong time, could they blow it yet?
Fulham look the business and as much as it grieves me to say it the Vile have the squad, experience and managerial "nous" to get up (hopefully I'm wrong about that).
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Rufus T Firefly

Just wondering are there any Leeds' followers out there with the urge to give an opinion, as yet another season that had some early optimism slowly runs to a dispiriting standstill?

I was on a site that allows different variables to be put in to come up with a league table of current form, and from Boxing Day to the present - a period in which we have two wins - we are currently rock bottom of the Championship Table with a total of 12 points, three below both Burton and Sunderland, and four from safety. The great football played under Christiansen back in the Autumn is but a distant memory and on the basis of last Friday night, the players look distinctly uninterested, with Heckingbottom's already brief tenure already looking under threat.

Changing the manager - in my humble opinion - is not the answer to the underlying issues of some bad recruitment and under investment, but it is usually Leeds go to choice when things are not going well. I actually thought that the danger of a return to Division One was a thing of the past, but now I'm not so sure - very depressing to be honest.   

seafoid

Leeds have all the attributes of a team going through a long phase of mediocrity. The principles are the same across most sports.
A lot of them are psychological. I wonder has anyone formalised them. It would be an interesting PhD.

This was about Tyrone a while ago, from a fan :

1. Lack of leadership on the pitch
2. Lack of fight
3. Lack of tactical awareness
4. Lack of discipline
5. Lack of options from bench
6. Lack of strength
7. Lack of purpose

Meath would be another data-rich environment.

Galway hurlers were shite for years. It's very hard to change the dynamic. Most of all it needs patience and continuity. Chopping and changing managers is pointless.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 16, 2018, 09:45:15 AM
Just wondering are there any Leeds' followers out there with the urge to give an opinion, as yet another season that had some early optimism slowly runs to a dispiriting standstill?

I was on a site that allows different variables to be put in to come up with a league table of current form, and from Boxing Day to the present - a period in which we have two wins - we are currently rock bottom of the Championship Table with a total of 12 points, three below both Burton and Sunderland, and four from safety. The great football played under Christiansen back in the Autumn is but a distant memory and on the basis of last Friday night, the players look distinctly uninterested, with Heckingbottom's already brief tenure already looking under threat.

Changing the manager - in my humble opinion - is not the answer to the underlying issues of some bad recruitment and under investment, but it is usually Leeds go to choice when things are not going well. I actually thought that the danger of a return to Division One was a thing of the past, but now I'm not so sure - very depressing to be honest.

I'm too sick to say anything, Rufus.  Leeds are, by some way, the worst team at present in the Championship.  Some fall, after having been top in October. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Mick McCarthy will sort you out, a good Yorkshire man...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 16, 2018, 04:18:43 PM
Mick McCarthy will sort you out, a good Yorkshire man...

That's not a bad shout. Would he put up with the madness there though? And would a Barnsley man want Leeds to do well?

ziggy90

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 16, 2018, 04:13:03 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 16, 2018, 09:45:15 AM

I'm too sick to say anything, Rufus.  Leeds are, by some way, the worst team at present in the Championship.  Some fall, after having been top in October.

They better be up for it on Saturday.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU