Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Poor column yesterday from Joe.
Complete trash in fact.

Jinxy

Quote from: LeoMc on February 20, 2017, 07:42:14 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 17, 2017, 10:24:59 PM
I bumped into Joe outside PC World in the Blanchardstown Centre a few days ago and he was lamenting the way the newspaper business has gone.
"Jinxy, last week I got a call from our new sub-editor who was giving out about my stats. Apparently my latest piece was over 500 words too long. When I asked him how he knew, he told me there's a thing called a 'word count' on computers now. Can you believe it, it counts your each and every word! And it gets worse... apparently, if the computer thinks you've made a spelling mistake it draws a red line under the word to let you know and sometimes it even changes the spelling for you! This is the level of micro-management the modern columnist has to deal with. I'm telling you Jinxy... there's no freedom anymore, we're like robots."
Will you be this weeks guest unnamed county star that he bumped into?

Quite possibly.
Only in Joe's version I dived on the bonnet of his car, screaming "Joe, I urgently need to talk to you about the state of modern inter-county football!!"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

LeoMc

Quote from: Jinxy on February 20, 2017, 09:50:54 AM
I bumped into Joe outside PC World in the Blanchardstown Centre a few days ago and he was lamenting the way the newspaper business has gone.
"Jinxy, last week I got a call from our new sub-editor who was giving out about my stats. Apparently my latest piece was over 500 words too long. When I asked him how he knew, he told me there's a thing called a 'word count' on computers now. Can you believe it, it counts your each and every word! And it gets worse... apparently, if the computer thinks you've made a spelling mistake it draws a red line under the word to let you know and sometimes it even changes the spelling for you! This is the level of micro-management the modern columnist has to deal with. I'm telling you Jinxy... there's no freedom anymore, we're like robots."

Quite possibly.
Only in Joe's version I dived on the bonnet of his car, screaming "Joe, I urgently need to talk to you about the state of modern inter-county football!!"
Did you tell him that it is no fun anymore and show him your contract?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on February 20, 2017, 09:50:54 AM

Quite possibly.

Much damage done to the car?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Seany

His article was written in a hurry, used a journalistic technique from the movie Trainspotting that is years out of date and contained not one new thought, or vision for his alternative GAA. He is now his own tribute band. Hasn't yet mentioned a football match, but is stretching out his single transferable article to ridiculous lengths. He's the GAA's answer to Pat Buckley's blog. You read it just to see what he's saying, but then take absolutely no further notice of it ever again, while almost feeling sorry for the temperament of the troubled mind that wrote it.

The Stallion

I disagree. His articles, while self-aggrandising, are often a very good read.

Jinxy

He's been phoning it in for months now.

The Stallion

Sounds handier than posting it.

thewobbler

Some of you have impossibly high standards.

Joe has been producing consistently readable GAA pieces every week for a couple of years. Considering how shallow that well gets in terms of storylines for half the year, that's quite an achievement.

While he does do the "death of GAA" narrative too much by half, it wold seem that many people would also blockade him from delivering first person narrative pieces involving GAA characters too, and from highlighting his bugbears such as sports psychology.

It's neither his job to write match reports or previews. That's for the journalists, not the columnists.

So to the moaners, I ask this, what would you have him write about?

Jinxy

He hasn't written a good article since his obsession with Enda McNulty started.

Brapbrap

Joe is a very very very naughty boy!  8)

AZOffaly

? What's this cryptic message about?

The Stallion

Just a bellend being a bellend.

trileacman

Talking sense on news talk at the minute.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014