Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: BennyCake on February 08, 2017, 11:28:02 AM

Yes, but it shows you what he's like. He wrote another about Enda Kenny joking with him about something he said on TSG. I'm so famous even the President takes time out of busy schedule to come over to talk to me. Big head.

The Taoiseach.

Seany

Very disappointing to hear that talk about Peter McKenna.  This is a man who has turned Croke Park into one of the finest stadiums in the world with facilities that win awards every year.  It is the only totally carbon neutral stadium in the world and its conference facilities are making the association many millions a year.  This is his job and he also now holds the marketing portfolio for the association.  It is incredible to read how defensive some people are when talking about GAA and marketing.  Only a few years ago, the whole talk was on how the GAA didn't market itself properly and now when we are doing an expert job on it, the man who has finally negotiated a fair price for our GAA games is not getting the credit he deserves.  Peter is a brilliant man.  A world renowned expert on how to run a stadium and his performance as marketing manager has been outstanding so far.  I would not comment on how he would do as DG; no-one can say until they saw him in that role for a few years, but the DG is there to do the bidding of the association.  He doesn't run it.  He doesn't have a 51% share, but he does as he is told.  Paraic Duffy learnt that at last year's congress when his reasonable proposals re replays and the bringing back of the All Irelands were defeated.  Calling someone a ballbag or a tool does not help the debate.  The GAA is lucky to have someone of the calibre of Peter McKenna running the stadium and the marketing operation of the GAA.

Jinxy

From a financial perspective, McKenna has done a great job maximising revenue from Croke Park.
However, I think he is a purely commercial animal and I would worry about the drive to maximise revenue from intercounty competitions by moving further and faster to separate it out from the club game and the unwanted complications it causes.
I want somebody who understands the concerns of the club man or woman in the back arse of nowhere, as DG.
Ideally I would want somebody who has been a club man or woman in the back arse of nowhere, as DG.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on February 09, 2017, 09:41:03 AM
From a financial perspective, McKenna has done a great job maximising revenue from Croke Park.
However, I think he is a purely commercial animal and I would worry about the drive to maximise revenue from intercounty competitions by moving further and faster to separate it out from the club game and the unwanted complications it causes.
I want somebody who understands the concerns of the club man or woman in the back arse of nowhere, as DG.
Ideally I would want somebody who has been a club man or woman in the back arse of nowhere, as DG.

Exactly this Jinxy
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

five points

Quote from: Taylor on February 08, 2017, 11:12:46 AM
Burns did appeal to me but then he started this nonsense about the National anthem and the flag. Wont endear him to some.
Would have thought he would remain neutral until he got the job.

Bar that he would be a good choice and one that can see all sides and not just the GPA which previous presidents seem to have done and is a major bone of contention

Burns took charge of Scór about 10 years ago and left an absolute and utter trail of destruction behind him, making countless enemies along the way. He is a natural politician who would be a disaster as either DG or President.

Rossfan

So no one from a big town or city or club along a main road can apply then?
Haven't all the Árd Stiúrthóiri been club people along the way as opposed to employees in the GAA "civil service"?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Quote from: Rossfan on February 09, 2017, 09:51:13 AM
So no one from a big town or city or club along a main road can apply then?
Haven't all the Árd Stiúrthóiri been club people along the way as opposed to employees in the GAA "civil service"?

No.
Do you want a Roscommon man to get the job or not?

JoG2

has Brolly split ties with the Irish Independent?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: JoG2 on February 14, 2017, 11:34:05 AM
has Brolly split ties with the Irish Independent?

No article then this week I take it. Didn't see him tweeting it out if there was.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

rrhf

Any truth in a rumour he could be considering doing the Irish news. 

Samforever

Quote from: rrhf on February 14, 2017, 07:41:31 PM
Any truth in a rumour he could be considering doing the Irish news.

Please. Anything would better than the drivel they put out at the minute. Kernan about the only one worth reading.

RedHandTom

Irish news has gone down hill but surely not desperate enough to take on Brolly? He's entertaining but he blows with the wind. I cant have the man

ashman

Quote from: RedHandTom on February 15, 2017, 12:03:20 AM
Irish news has gone down hill but surely not desperate enough to take on Brolly? He's entertaining but he blows with the wind. I cant have the man

He sells . In that game that is the bottom line .

BennyHarp

Quote from: ashman on February 15, 2017, 12:04:54 AM
Quote from: RedHandTom on February 15, 2017, 12:03:20 AM

He sells . In that game that is the bottom line .

Even Joe would find it difficult to bluff his way through by rehashing versions of the same article every week in both the Irish News and Gaelic Life? Surely there is far too much crossover readership for him to get away with it like he currently does?
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

Tread carefully Benny...