Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 24, 2013, 04:50:34 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 24, 2013, 04:35:03 PM
Is there a reason why 07 Mazda RX8's are so cheap. On Autotrader for under 3K. for a car that produces 200BHP that sounds like a bargain.
Is it something to do with the ommisions? If i bought one and VRT'd it what am i likely to pay on road tax given its a 1.3l engine.
I'd be worried about any omission in  a car advert.
D'oh. Meant C02 emissions

southdown

Iv looked at RX8s myself.  Very very cheap and they look great. But, a few mechanics have told me to stay well clear.  They have some weird rotary engine that is a bit "out there."  Maybe someone who knows more about engines can tell us more...

supersarsfields

Yeah the RX8s have a rotary engine and can be more expensive to service. But there are some cracking deals on them second hand. The depreciation on them is mad. And for what is a tidy little sports car they are absolute steals. Lovely looking car as well for that money. 

Denn Forever

Rotary engines use a lot of oil and so you need to very vigilent so that it doesn't run low.  I would assume you would be best to have it serviced by a Mazda garage.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

RX8 is a rotary 1.3 engine but is taxed at a higher rate due to the high HP.

It used to be taxed as a 1.8 but I am not sure with the new bands.
MWWSI 2017

tyrone exile

Pretty sure i need a new fly wheel for the golf, Its a 1.9 2006 model was wondering does anybody know the price of one of these things? and can you put a second hand one on? Heading to the states for a few months so dont want to spend a fortune on it before i leave.

Last Man

Quote from: tyrone exile on May 27, 2013, 09:51:37 PM
Pretty sure i need a new fly wheel for the golf, Its a 1.9 2006 model was wondering does anybody know the price of one of these things? and can you put a second hand one on? Heading to the states for a few months so dont want to spend a fortune on it before i leave.
Ring Quigg Bros in Rasharkin, They sell new and 2nd hand parts and will advise if its worth trying.
028 2957 1257

laoislad

Has anyone ever replaced brake pads/rear brake discs themselves?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

RMDrive

Quote from: laoislad on July 09, 2013, 05:56:02 PM

Yes, very straight forward even for a casual "mechanic" like myself.

All of a Sludden

If you can get the calipers wound back its an easy enough job, what type of car is it, some of the newer cars may need a diagnostic computer to do the calipers. But its only a €50 job for your local mechanic if you don't think you aren't up to it.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

GJL

Quote from: laoislad on July 09, 2013, 05:56:02 PM

I have done a few.  ;)

To be honest the fronts are usually easier as most back brakes need a special tool to rewind the brake piston. Also bear in mind some cars handbrake works off shoes inside the hub of the disc which can complicate matters for a DIY man. Take no chances with it. 

theskull1

Sure what would you know  ;)

Wondering of all the euro 5 diesel engines..which ones are capable of high mileage without major headaches? Are there any?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

LeoMc

Quote from: snoopdog on May 24, 2013, 04:35:03 PM
Is there a reason why 07 Mazda RX8's are so cheap. On Autotrader for under 3K. for a car that produces 200BHP that sounds like a bargain.
Is it something to do with the ommisions? If i bought one and VRT'd it what am i likely to pay on road tax given its a 1.3l engine.
It has a Wankel engine.

LeoMc

Have been quoted £350 to fix the electric window in my Megane. Apparently it is a known fault but my car is too old to qualify for a subsidised replacement by Renault. Seems a bit much as that is near enough the value of the car. Anybody any experience of this problem or of getting it fixed?

omagh_gael

Have you tried any breakers to see if they have a full matching door that a mechanic could change over?