Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

The flywheel is what transfers the rotational motion from the engine to the clutch. Due to increased torque levels the last 10 years or so, 'dual mass' or 'floating flywheels have been introduced to obsorb shock in the power transfer. The old solid flywheels would last the lifetime of most cars but these new ones can go anytime after about 80000 miles. If you call down to Ballygawley WD I will take a look, give you my opinion and a price. You can then decide yourself what to do.

Garrett.

GJL

Recently we have come across a few problems with blocked DFSs (Diesel Particulate Filters) The filter is part of the exhaust on a diesel car that filters out the black soot. It is very expensive to replace (over £1000 in most cars). When blocked a light will come on and the car may go way down in power. The dealers are saying the filter needs replaced but we have no come up with a successful way of flushing the filters. There are quite a few different flushes on the market, most of which don't work but we have found one that works every time saving hundreds of pounds.  Give me a shout if you come across this problem.

Family guy

Where seems to be the best place in the Tyrone area for new or part worn tyres??

GJL

Quote from: Family guy on April 20, 2013, 12:17:03 PM
Where seems to be the best place in the Tyrone area for new or part worn tyres??
What size do you need?

tyroneboi

Quote from: GJL on April 20, 2013, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: Family guy on April 20, 2013, 12:17:03 PM
What size do you need?

I could be doing with knowing this as well - mine are just 15"

Also how would i go about sorting out my remote central locking for my VW Golf Mk5? I imagine if i go to a VW dealer it will cost me a fortune?

GJL

We are based in Ballygawley. We Stock most tyre sizes and should be able to sort the locking as well.

qubdub

Anyone know of a website that does free car valuations? Thinking of buying a new second-hand car and I'm either onto a chicken dinner or there is some sort of catch that I'm missing...

GJL

Quote from: qubdub on May 02, 2013, 09:14:50 PM
Anyone know of a website that does free car valuations? Thinking of buying a new second-hand car and I'm either onto a chicken dinner or there is some sort of catch that I'm missing...

Get a HPI check done on it. Checks for insurance claims and/or finance owed. Usually if it seems to good to be true.....it is!

Denn Forever

Look at Done Deal (other websites available).  There are search criteria for the price you are wishing to pay and will sort the available cars at that price.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

qubdub

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 03, 2013, 12:05:25 PM

Look at Done Deal (other websites available).  There are search criteria for the price you are wishing to pay and will sort the available cars at that price.
Quote from: GJL on May 02, 2013, 11:57:17 PM

Get a HPI check done on it. Checks for insurance claims and/or finance owed. Usually if it seems to good to be true.....it is!
Cheers guys. I haven't physically looked at the car yet, the dealer has conveniently blanked the reg no. on the autotrader pics and on his website so can't do HPI check online!

Denn Forever

If you are speaking to the dealer, ask him for the reg.  If he won't give it (can't see why he wouldn't) be wary.

Look in Done Deal etc. for a car tghat you are taling about and see what prices are like.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

qubdub

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 03, 2013, 12:29:07 PM
If you are speaking to the dealer, ask him for the reg.  If he won't give it (can't see why he wouldn't) be wary.

Look in Done Deal etc. for a car tghat you are taling about and see what prices are like.
Have checked done deal, hard to see the exact model I'm after with a similar low mileage. Going to visit the dealer on Monday all going well.

Milltown Row2

Think the clutch is gone on my car, Santa Fe, any ideas of the cost?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

snoopdog

Is there a reason why 07 Mazda RX8's are so cheap. On Autotrader for under 3K. for a car that produces 200BHP that sounds like a bargain.
Is it something to do with the ommisions? If i bought one and VRT'd it what am i likely to pay on road tax given its a 1.3l engine.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on May 24, 2013, 04:35:03 PM
Is there a reason why 07 Mazda RX8's are so cheap. On Autotrader for under 3K. for a car that produces 200BHP that sounds like a bargain.
Is it something to do with the ommisions? If i bought one and VRT'd it what am i likely to pay on road tax given its a 1.3l engine.
I'd be worried about any omission in  a car advert.