Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on July 24, 2017, 11:39:04 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 24, 2017, 11:14:23 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 24, 2017, 10:57:12 AM
Complaining that the bottom 16 teams don't get to the closing stages of the CHAMPIONSHIP. :o
What do they want - a handicap system?

Exactly. If they want to make the final stages of the championship they should work harder. If Clare/Tipperary can come on leaps and bounds in football then there's no excuse.

Go to Leitrim and spout your elitism, please.

This notion that weaker teams have a right to be in the latter stages isn't right. Teams should be there on merit, not pity.

Orior

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 24, 2017, 12:38:35 PM
Complaining that the bottom 16 teams don't get to the closing stages of the CHAMPIONSHIP. :o

Exactly. If they want to make the final stages of the championship they should work harder. If Clare/Tipperary can come on leaps and bounds in football then there's no excuse.

This notion that weaker teams have a right to be in the latter stages isn't right. Teams should be there on merit, not pity.

It is also inherently unfair, because some counties have less population, less clubs and less players than others.

I'm not in favour of the super 8's, even though Armagh would have benefited from it in the past. The new system takes away from the magic of the knockout stages.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedHand88

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2017, 09:34:36 PM

It is also inherently unfair, because some counties have less population, less clubs and less players than others.

I'm not in favour of the super 8's, even though Armagh would have benefited from it in the past. The new system takes away from the magic of the knockout stages.

I hear you. Quarter final days are always nice. Don't see how super 8 helps weaker counties anyway if they qualification for a quarter final is still the same.

BennyHarp

So every club championship in every county is elitist? Would you go to the smallest club at the bottom of Div 4 in Leitrim and tell them that they should be playing senior football? Would they want to? The situation at county level where there are the haves and have nots is replicated in every county in Ireland and the problem is solved by a tiered championship / league structure which seems to work for all. In fact many clubs would actively avoid a grade 1 / senior place if they thought they had no chance of winning the competition. If teams develop over a period of time they can still compete in the senior championship via promotions. The challenge is finding a way that isn't just a Tommy Murphy rehash!
That was never a square ball!!

Esmarelda

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 24, 2017, 10:10:43 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2017, 09:34:36 PM

I hear you. Quarter final days are always nice. Don't see how super 8 helps weaker counties anyway if they qualification for a quarter final is still the same.
The only case I remember being made for the smaller counties, with regards to the Super 8, is that if a smaller team was to make it that far, then they would be guaranteed three games against top opposition, rather than just one.

armaghniac

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 25, 2017, 09:50:45 AM
The only case I remember being made for the smaller counties, with regards to the Super 8, is that if a smaller team was to make it that far, then they would be guaranteed three games against top opposition, rather than just one.

three times the fun

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

The timing just isn't right there, lol. Quite hypnotic all the same.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Aughafad

Correct me if i'm wrong but if the super 8s were in operation this year, the groups would be:

Group A - Dublin, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway
Group B - Kerry, Roscommon, Monaghan, Armagh

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Aughafad on August 01, 2017, 07:09:42 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but if the super 8s were in operation this year, the groups would be:

Group A - Dublin, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway
Group B - Kerry, Roscommon, Monaghan, Armagh

Thats correct.

Aughafad

Group A would be good but Group B is a bit Meh!

Syferus

Quote from: Aughafad on August 01, 2017, 07:25:18 PM

Neither group would be good. The only one of consequence in A would be Mayo-Tyrone as it would decide the runner up.

People should do well to remember that being runner up in the group that doesn't contain Dublin will mean the 'carrot' is a death sentence in the AISF every time.

Rossfan

Quote from: Aughafad on August 01, 2017, 07:25:18 PM
Be a great battle for 2nd place though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Super 8 shows us how the Month of August will be destroyed for family time. Mayo fans have had a taste of week after week of consecutive games. All costing great amounts of Money and Time. Dublin will have no worries as their three Super 8 games as well as the AI semi final and Final will be all home games and cost them less in terms of money and time. 

Zulu

Family time???? For the love of Jesus. Poor Mayo playing football every week in the summer and their poor fans watching high quality sport every weekend. Why hasn't somebody organised a concert to help them in this time of tragedy?

Rossfan

Way things are going the Rhubarbs won't have to worry about the so called "Super 8" next couple of years.
Has an official title been picked yet? I'd expect the "All Ireland Series"
I presume a Kerry/ Dublin neutral game in 2019 will be in Páirc Phroinnsias UÍ Mhurchú ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM