Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2017, 12:07:37 PM

I do wonder sometimes about you, Zulu.
I'd say the feeling would be mutual.
In fact most of  us here wonder about Syfīn all the time.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on April 05, 2017, 12:19:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2017, 12:07:37 PM

I do wonder sometimes about you, Zulu.
I'd say the feeling would be mutual.
In fact most of  us here wonder about Syfīn all the time.

The voices in your head aren't real people.

Rossfan

Something in the "Independent "(sic) today about the CPA not announcing their master fixtures blueprint just yet.
They had to revise it after the Congress decision to adopt the "Super 8" and they are in discussion with other "stakeholders".
It's believed their plan provides for dedicated weekends for Club fixtures and an AI Intermediate Inter County football championship.
Another group pinching my ideas  ???(SF on the future All Ireland set up).
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cpa-underestimated-scale-of-problems-in-gaa-448162.html

Update from a real paper.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Esmarelda

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 30, 2017, 10:21:13 AM
Spailpín knows his stuff http://spailpin.blogspot.ie/2017/05/the-football-championship-pageant-not.html
Not bad. His last paragraph however has the intercounty season spanning up to nine months. Did he all of a sudden forget about the clubs?

BennyHarp

So with the final 8 very nearly sorted, would anyone really have the appetite now for a two group round robin tournament? Personally I think the knock out stage at qtr final stage is when the championship finally starts to crank into gear, i think I'd have no desire for a mini league now.
That was never a square ball!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 23, 2017, 09:16:37 AM
So with the final 8 very nearly sorted, would anyone really have the appetite now for a two group round robin tournament? Personally I think the knock out stage at qtr final stage is when the championship finally starts to crank into gear, i think I'd have no desire for a mini league now.

Agreed!

Esmarelda

Yeah, now that this time is upon us it feels less desirable.

Time will tell I suppose.

Redhand Santa

This year wouldn't have been the worst year for it. You'd have had a group for example of Tyrone Dublin Mayo and Galway. That surely would lead to some great games. Dublin would have headed potentially to castkebar for a championship game which would be great. As a Tyrone fan a trip to Galway would be nice and a big home game to Mayo would be some occasion. The worry would be the last round of games could have teams playing for nothing.

Rossfan

A trip to Salthill would be a nightmare ;D
Meanwhile we'd be with Kerry and probably Monaghan and Kildare.
I suppose Kildare's "home"game would be in Portlaoise?
And no doubt Dublin's home game and "neutral" game will bith be in CrokePark  of course.

From the Bunker

For the Mayo Season ticket holder it would have meant

Sligo(home)
Galway (away)
Derry (Home)
Clare (away)
Cork (Limerick)
Tyrone (away)
Dublin (away as usual)
Galway (home)
Kerry (Croke Park)
Dublin (away)

Just too many games and a huge financial and time cost!

Gaelic games has always been about decent rest time between games and the build up to the next game.

That is the reason I won't be renewing my season ticket next year!

How many chances can you be giving Kerry and Dublin to win an All Ireland?

How many extra games can you be putting on AMATEUR players and in consecutive weeks.

We have knock out in the Provincial series and we have knock out in the All Ireland series, why introduce this?

Redhand Santa

If you look at Kerry and dublins quarter final record I think you'll find no evidence to back up that the super 8s will make it easier for them. If anything it should give the 8 teams more of an even chance of getting through. Though it is unfair the dubs get two games in croke park but it also means another county will helping them.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 23, 2017, 10:00:21 AM

Sligo(home)
Galway (away)
Derry (Home)
Clare (away)
Cork (Limerick)
Tyrone (away)
Dublin (away as usual)
Galway (home)
Kerry (Croke Park)
Dublin (away)

Gaelic games has always been about decent rest time between games and the build up to the next game.

How many extra games can you be putting on AMATEUR players and in consecutive weeks.

We have knock out in the Provincial series and we have knock out in the All Ireland series, why introduce this?

It's as well you don't follow a soccer or rugby team. The one thing the gaa championship lacks is important games between the big teams at the height of summer. This will help improve that. Hopefully they use sensible pricing and have a ticket for the counties three games. Currently quarter finals are 30 or 35 Euro from memory, if you got three games for 45/50 surely everyone would be a winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 23, 2017, 10:16:37 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 23, 2017, 10:00:21 AM

Sligo(home)
Galway (away)
Derry (Home)
Clare (away)
Cork (Limerick)
Tyrone (away)
Dublin (away as usual)
Galway (home)
Kerry (Croke Park)
Dublin (away)

It's as well you don't follow a soccer or rugby team. The one thing the gaa championship lacks is important games between the big teams at the height of summer. This will help improve that. Hopefully they use sensible pricing and have a ticket for the counties three games. Currently quarter finals are 30 or 35 Euro from memory, if you got three games for 45/50 surely everyone would be a winner.

Apart from people who prefer their amateur sports competitions not be dominated by the same four or five semi-pro sides..

Duffy is to the national GAA what Prenty is to Connacht. Money is king, the dollar means more than fairness. What a terrible moment in the history of the sport.

Redhand Santa

Given the extra summer games they should shorten the leagues to free up time for clubs. Fir example expand division one and two to 12 teams but split it into two sixes. Top team from each section plays off in final. That would cut out a couple of years from counties seasons with them being potentially replaced by important championship games.