Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 11:30:45 PM
Ok.

Point 1. Provincial winners get a second chance - Fair enough but that was never a big issue to me.

Point 2. More high profile games - Agreed. I think this is actually point 1.

Point 3. No easy paths to All Ireland SF - granted.

Point 4. Big games at local venues giving families a better opportunity to see games - ok but again, wasn't a big issue to me.

Zulu

So you agree, this is good?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 11:40:32 PM
So you agree, this is good?

Are you rising me now? I'm not against it. I have no meas on points 1 or 4 and I think point 2 is the main point.

Zulu

Not rising and I know you are not against more high profile games but I'm struggling to find what you're against. You're for the provincials and more games for the weaker teams, if so, how do we do that?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on February 26, 2017, 12:03:22 AM
Not rising and I know you are not against more high profile games but I'm struggling to find what you're against. You're for the provincials and more games for the weaker teams, if so, how do we do that?

I'm NOT against it. How many times do I have to say that?  As far as I'm concerned its just a few extra games after the provincials, so rock on.

And also, where did I say I'm for more games for the weaker teams? Sure I'd do away with the qualifiers.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on February 25, 2017, 11:16:51 PM
Bunker, Mayo could actually lose 3 times and still win an AI...if they were drawn against Laois, and they still hadn't learnt to count.

Sweet Jehovah, it gets worse!  ;D

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 26, 2017, 12:07:49 AM
Quote from: Zulu on February 26, 2017, 12:03:22 AM

I'm NOT against it. How many times do I have to say that?  As far as I'm concerned its just a few extra games after the provincials, so rock on.

And also, where did I say I'm for more games for the weaker teams? Sure I'd do away with the qualifiers.

Ok, so you are for this? Why do away with the qualifiers?

AZOffaly

I don't like the qualifiers because weak teams just get hammered twice, and mid tier teams who catch a bigger team should be knocking them out. Kerry losing to Cork, and then getting further than them in the AI series doesn't sit right with me. I think it has diluted the intensity of the provincial games. there's a safety valve and the supporters know this too.

As for this proposal, it's not something I'd have bothered suggesting, and I still think it was suggested for financial reasons rather than competiton reasons, but it's worth giving a chance. Yeah. I certainly don't see it as Armageddon like others seem to.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 11:30:45 PM
Ok.

Point 1. Provincial winners get a second chance And back door losers get a third chance

Point 2. More high profile games Also the chance of a weak team getting three tankings!

Point 3. No easy paths to All Ireland SF In theory, until you see Kerrys group! :P

Point 4. Big games at local venues giving families a better opportunity to see games. Can you honestly see games involving Dublin being played outside Croker?

sid waddell

What is it we want here?

Do we want a championship system where the weaker inter-county teams get more games?
Do we want to see big inter-county teams playing more games against each other?
Do we want to keep the provincial championships?
Do we want club championship matches to be played throughout the summer?
Do we want county teams to release players for club games during the inter-county championships?
Do we want county teams to prepare without interference as managers would want?
Do we want county players to play club league games?
Do we want players to be able to play both football and hurling?
Do we want the GAA to have high profile matches throughout the year?
Do we want additional revenue to distribute to clubs?
Do we want a gap of at least two weeks between rounds of the inter-county championships?
Do we want to play off the All-Ireland club championships in the calendar year?
Do we want to deprive club players their day in Croke Park on St. Patrick's Day?
Do we want a club fixture list with certainty?

Because we can't have all of these things. Many of them are in direct conflict.

AZOffaly

That's my point all along. What problem is it we are trying to solve. A lot of people say there is definitely a problem, but there's not much consensus on what it is.

RealSpiritof98

Why is it now all about giving these teams ''a season''. They are representing their county, they are what WE the club's are putting forward as our best team. if we/they get beat after 1 game then so be it, why did having to accommodate lengthy pre -seasons/preparations for all be the prerogative of a 'season'. The best teams rise to the top most times but the brutal and wonderful but most rewarding end of sport is knock out competition period!!!!!! and its what the legends of our game are made of. Time to get back to the root of our games and stop pandering to the commercial aspect as these people want to solely make money on the back of our games. Unlike many PROFESSIONAL SPORTS that rely on massive income our game will always survive  and us (the people) can actually do something about it.

seafoid

Where will the Champions League money go?
Presumably more exposure will mean higher sponsorship income
Meaning  players will want more nutritional subsidies
But GF is a mess

Will the Super 8 help Kerry beat Dublin?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

I read a lot of anger on social media and my own club have been very vocal on twitter condemning these motions. There is a strange disconnect between ordinary members being mostly against (anecdotally) yet delegates and county boards being overwhelmingly for. Leave that aside for now, this is a huge 2 fingers up to the players, both club and county. As a club volunteer and coach I am primarily concerned with the club scene. I can see a strike of sorts on the cards here - in fact I would recommend one!

I would suggest that all players should go to the next monthly meeting of the club and mandate them not to pay their county board fees. If every club in Ireland does that the delegates wont be long listening to them. It seems money rules everything in the GAA and it is sad to see the first president from my own county making such a disgrace of himself overseeing this mess.

Edit - breaking  http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gpa-will-respond-strongly-to-super-8-snub-says-earley-778890.html

yellowcard

When the POA is calling it elitist you know there is something seriously wrong.