Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

What does what mean?

You've made it clear that you like the big boys clashing at the end of the year, and the more often the better. Fine. To be honest I don't give a shite about the big boys. They are always ok.

You sneer at provincial championships. I don't, I like the, and I think I am in the majority there. So I would like a way, if we have to fix some nebulous problem, to make sure the provincials are part of that.

I find your attitude on this very condescending.

And again, I've said several times I'm not against this, I just think it's a bit of window dressing.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2017, 10:29:25 PM
I told you the solution I'd like.

Also I said I'm not against this I just think it's a sop to the media.

I think you are detached Zulu. Come home

I know you think it's a sop to the media but I completely disagree. Your solution isn't the same as wobblers or mine yet we are all genuine GAA men so how do we come up with a solution that we all agree? We can't. This is a modest change that has multiple benefits yet to listen to some of the criticism you'd think the GAA has been banned. It's complete shite.

AZOffaly

I think you are foisting your frustrations with other posters on me. I said, sigh, I'm not against this. All I said is its neither fish nor fowl. I mean what exactly is it other than more games to sell to customers and media.

But again, it's grand. Let's see how it goes, I'm sure the games will be interesting and novel.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2017, 10:34:57 PM
What does what mean?

You've made it clear that you like the big boys clashing at the end of the year, and the more often the better. Fine. To be honest I don't give a shite about the big boys. They are always ok.

You sneer at provincial championships. I don't, I like the, and I think I am in the majority there. So I would like a way, if we have to fix some nebulous problem, to make sure the provincials are part of that.

And again, I've said several times I'm not against this, I just think it's a bit of window dressing.

AZ, you're a good poster but when you accuse me of being condensing while saying I'm all about seeing the big boys clashing, well just say that's nonsense. Neither do I sneer at provincials, I just think they are central to our problems. Please put forward a proposal where the provincials are central to a format where weaker teams are helped and the sport is promoted?

Syferus

The central problem is the money and the coaching it provides and the GAA's unwillingness to split a county that is the size of most of the rest of the country combined because it's a cash cow, and well you know it Zulu.

I'd have thought you'd be out celebrating a Dublin president and an elitist addition to the championship calendar..

ONeill

What does what mean?

I detest the provincials. In 100 years, our grandchildren will be laughing that, in sport, there was a competition which saw 4 competitions - one with 9 teams, one with 7 although two of them weren't in Ireland, another with 6 and another with 12 teams, to reach the same stage and some teams in the smaller groupings played less than others in it. And some teams played 4 games, without replays, to reach the quarter finals and others played 2 to do the same. But people liked it cos it was traditional.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

clarshack

This format will be similar to what the champions league was like when it started back in 1991/1992. The champions league back then had some qualifying rounds, then 2 groups of 4 teams then the winners of each group met in the final. I wonder where the GAA will be in 10 years time...

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on February 25, 2017, 10:49:13 PM
What does what mean?

I detest the provincials. In 100 years, our grandchildren will be laughing that, in sport, there was a competition which saw 4 competitions - one with 9 teams, one with 7 although two of them weren't in Ireland, another with 6 and another with 12 teams, to reach the same stage and some teams in the smaller groupings played less than others in it. And some teams played 4 games, without replays, to reach the quarter finals and others played 2 to do the same. But people liked it cos it was traditional.

Fair enough, I like them. And I like them because it gives mid tier teams a somewhat realistic target every year, and high stakes games against close rivals.

I'd have no problem with 4 8 team provincials though. North South East and West.

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on February 25, 2017, 10:48:29 PM
The central problem is the money and the coaching it provides and the GAA's unwillingness to split a county that is the size of most of the rest of the country combined because it's a cash cow, and well you know it Zulu.

I'd have thought you'd be out celebrating a Dublin president and an elitist addition to the championship calendar..

Syferus, you come across as a genuine passionate GAA man but you talk some shite. Just try to talk some sense and we might be able to discuss these things.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 25, 2017, 10:55:54 PM
What does what mean?

Fair enough, I like them. And I like them because it gives mid tier teams a somewhat realistic target every year, and high stakes games against close rivals.

I'd have no problem with 4 8 team provincials though. North South East and West.

It would only make sense if all teams had similar budgets and halfways comparable populations. Trying to make one aspect of the GAA fair while leaving a more massive inbalance elsewhere is the definition of skin-deep change.

This year's changes barely amounts to painting the pig's eyelashes with mascara.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 10:44:08 PM
What does what mean?

AZ, you're a good poster but when you accuse me of being condensing while saying I'm all about seeing the big boys clashing, well just say that's nonsense. Neither do I sneer at provincials, I just think they are central to our problems. Please put forward a proposal where the provincials are central to a format where weaker teams are helped and the sport is promoted?

You don't sneer at provincials, you would just get rid of them in the morning, thanks for clarifying.

Provincial championships, seeded such that weaker teams play each other in earlier rounds, with seedings based in league final position. No back doors,no qualifiers.

That would be fundamental reform, but so simple to do.

Zulu

What does what mean?

It doesn't do that though and it certainly isn't the only format that can do that.

Itchy

Can someone explain to me as i am obviously stupid, how does this help club players throughout Ireland?

sid waddell

Quote from: Zulu on February 25, 2017, 10:26:40 PM
How is this pretend change? I'm sick of hearing people complain but only want a solution that isn't even possible. We can't have a provincial championship and club and county players playing multiple age groups and two codes. That is the simple reality. Stop complaining and layout the solution rather than knock an imperfect solution.
For certainty for club players to be achieved as regards when their championship games are, the inter-county deck has to be effectively cleared for the year.

If club championship games are to be played during a county's involvement in the inter-county championship, there can never be any certainty as to when these club games will be. Your county could be playing in a provincial final, they could be playing in the qualifiers.

But you won't know in advance when the county will be playing (at least once the first provincial game is over) so you can't plan with certainty as to when to schedule club championship games.

This plan at least gives certainty.

Club league games go ahead without county players. This is generally the case as it is. There can now be certainty over this and about planning ordinary club league games without county players.

County Championships in all counties should begin no earlier than the last week in July, which will be the case in most counties as most counties will have no involvement in the inter-county championships beyond late July. There should be now certainty over this.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on February 25, 2017, 10:58:23 PM
What does what mean?

It would only make sense if all teams had similar budgets and halfways comparable populations. Trying to make one aspect of the GAA fair while leaving a more massive inbalance elsewhere is the definition of skin-deep change.

This year's changes barely amounts to painting the pig's eyelashes with mascara.

That is the elephant in the room. The provinces get more inequitable as the big budget teams in each, bar Ulster so far, pull away from the others. But to solve that by removing the provinces is the definition of solving the wrong problem.