Refugees

Started by Mayo4Sam14, September 03, 2015, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

There's appeals protests and all sorts going on trying to get the government to take more and more refugees and I don't me to sound like a cold hearted p***k but they're not our problem, how are we to provide home, shelter etc. There is already an insufficient number of houses and jobs and money... what about the people already on our streets? Should they not be the priority? I understand we have to take a certain amount because of the feckin EU but let that be it
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

general_lee

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 03, 2015, 04:42:21 PM
There's appeals protests and all sorts going on trying to get the government to take more and more refugees and I don't me to sound like a cold hearted p***k but they're not our problem, how are we to provide home, shelter etc. There is already an insufficient number of houses and jobs and money... what about the people already on our streets? Should they not be the priority? I understand we have to take a certain amount because of the feckin EU but let that be it

But thats what you are.
Whos problem are these poor people then???

deiseach

I think we should err on the side of generosity. If, at some time in the future, a natural or man-made disaster meant my son had to look for refuge elsewhere, it would be nice for him to able to point to this generation of Irish people as inspiration.

Eamonnca1

AZOffaly

I dislike Bayern Munich on the pitch, with lads like Ribery and Robben, but this is a great gesture...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34142261

Hereiam

Mayo I'm sure once they spend a while in this country they will be glad to get back home.

macdanger2

Yes, we're short on houses alright  :o

Short on Jobs, depends on your skills but I've no doubt plenty of these people have skills we're short of

Money?? Are you f*cking kidding me?? How much did you spend on the phone / computer you're looking at right now??

These people have almost nothing, literally nothing in many cases and if we can't collectively find a way to help then, god help us

easytiger95

We should be thinking strategically about this.

We should say to the EU - yes, we will step up and do our share and more. However, for this to happen we will need certain things to go our way. For instance, how about a relaxation of current deficit rules to borrow more for infrastructural needs (money is extremely cheap for us on the open market at the moment). Imagine the boost for our society with a planned rollout of social housing construction, taking care not only of extra refugees but our own homeless problem?

How about asking for a further extension on interest payments to the Troika, or better yet, an agreement with them, that in return for us taking up the cudgels in terms of housing refugees, any interest payment due to the institutions for a set period of years be diverted into capital spending with an emphasis on social needs, but those payments still count against the debt. This crisis has the potential to be far more expensive for European countries in societal terms than the financial crisis - we need to be pushing the idea of a new Marshall plan for refugees, a good part of which would be financed by debt forgiveness, invigorating our economies, finally making these institutions socially responsible, and finally, and most importantly, giving us the means to take care of as many of these people as we can.

The Greek root of the word "crisis" is opportunity.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 03, 2015, 08:12:30 PM

Short on Jobs, depends on your skills but I've no doubt plenty of these people have skills we're short of

Money?? Are you f*cking kidding me?? How much did you spend on the phone / computer you're looking at right now??

These people have almost nothing, literally nothing in many cases and if we can't collectively find a way to help then, god help us

Why can't we collectively find enough to help those amongst ourselves who need help?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

GJL

I hope and think that most Irish people would not be so selfish.

macdanger2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 03, 2015, 08:52:32 PM

Why can't we collectively find enough to help those amongst ourselves who need help?

I don't know but that doesn't mean we can't help others. On the scale of neediness, not many (if any) in Ireland can hold a candle to these refugees.

Declan

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on September 03, 2015, 08:52:32 PM

There are enough empty houses in each province to house the homeless. The reasons that latter aren't in the former are political, red-tape, strategic, NAMA's terms of reference, moral hazard etc.

But don't be fooled, we have enough to look after all of our own. We just find reasons not to. These reasons even have a logic to them. But they have little or no humanity.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on September 03, 2015, 11:27:41 PM
There are enough empty houses in each province to house the homeless. The reasons that latter aren't in the former are political, red-tape, strategic, NAMA's terms of reference, moral hazard etc.

But don't be fooled, we have enough to look after all of our own. We just find reasons not to. These reasons even have a logic to them. But they have little or no humanity.

There may be enough houses in each province, but the homeless and many of these refugees wish to live not in those places but where houses are in short supply. If Syrian refugees wish to live in Leitrim a house can be found, if they wish to live with a short distance of the mosque in Clonskeagh that is a different thing altogether.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B