Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Round 1
Castletown v Borris-Kilcotton
Abbeyleix v Kyle
Rathdowney-Errill v Park-Ratheniska/Timahoe
Portlaoise v The Harps

merman

Best of luck to Park Ratheniska-Timahoe and The Harps who will contest this final this evening.

I'd expect Park to have a little too much for The Harps' second team. The Harps are rebuilding and will be a force at senior level over the next few years but it's good to see 'first teams' winning junior finals and I'd expect Park to get over the line.

Helix.

Have to feel for Harps goalkeeper. Murphy's law for him yesterday. Some good scores in it but overall a poor game.  I hope the Harps push on and win it next year. Some nice young lads coming through and their u17s are decent this year so they'll add a few to it. Park Ratheniska/Timahoe will kick on and have 1 or 2 nice hurlers to come through next year which will add quality to the side.

SCFC

Good to see a first team winning. With the numbers they have, PRT should be pushing on over the next few years to try to get to Senior B.

burdizzo

Yes, you'd imagine they should, and they have fairly good underage teams - and certainly have numbers at underage. However, they're drawing from a mainly football area, and a lot of that underage talent will be channelled towards football eventually.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on September 23, 2019, 09:53:11 AM
Yes, you'd imagine they should, and they have fairly good underage teams - and certainly have numbers at underage. However, they're drawing from a mainly football area, and a lot of that underage talent will be channelled towards football eventually.

Firstly congrats to PRT from a near neighbor

Tbh I think at underage level especially,a lot of those involved as mentors are all nearly from outside the county and are hurling men.A lot of the kids at Juvenile level would have hurling as their first love and it's more than likely they would head towards hurling given Parks continued woes in adult Football

burdizzo

Don't they take in lads from what used to be Slieve Margy, even as far as Graiguecullen? Hard to see these lads continuing to hurl, and if P/R's own lads are being displaced by these, where will that leave them when it comes to adult level?

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on September 23, 2019, 11:06:06 AM
Don't they take in lads from what used to be Slieve Margy, even as far as Graiguecullen? Hard to see these lads continuing to hurl, and if P/R's own lads are being displaced by these, where will that leave them when it comes to adult level?

Isn't it great that lads are being given an option to play hurling regardless of which club takes them in for starters.

I couldn't comment as I don't know which Park lads are being displaced all I know is that they were in an u11 A final and they entered 2 teams,they were beaten in an u13 A semifinal yesterday,they are in u15A and their minors are in a B semifinal in their first year of having a minor hurling team.

Who knows what will chaps will choose in the future,but they are building a hurling base out there and good luck to them

merman

"As regards the other 2 clubs,unfortunately they contribute little in terms of mentors or input,even though they were always welcome to come over to watch us train their players in Clonad but we have to look after the needs of our own club first."

It's great to see how you've come around to appreciating all the work that your Park/Ratheniska friends are doing. It was only back in 2016 that you were claiming they offer little to the Clonad/Park Ratheniska arrangement.

They are indeed doing great work.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Helix. on September 22, 2019, 07:26:12 PM
Have to feel for Harps goalkeeper. Murphy's law for him yesterday. Some good scores in it but overall a poor game.  I hope the Harps push on and win it next year. Some nice young lads coming through and their u17s are decent this year so they'll add a few to it. Park Ratheniska/Timahoe will kick on and have 1 or 2 nice hurlers to come through next year which will add quality to the side.
Great to see PRT winning County hurling finals and hopefully they can build on the success in next year's intermediate grade.  Great exposure for young lads from that part of the county and the club is flying underage.
Felt sorry for young Fitzpatrick in the harps goals, some dreadful errors with give momentum to PRT. Good to see The Harps back competing in county finals too. There a strong hurling area with a great underage set up. They've reached another minor final so bound to feed into their adult set up.

clonadmad

Quote from: merman on September 23, 2019, 12:48:12 PM
"As regards the other 2 clubs,unfortunately they contribute little in terms of mentors or input,even though they were always welcome to come over to watch us train their players in Clonad but we have to look after the needs of our own club first."

It's great to see how you've come around to appreciating all the work that your Park/Ratheniska friends are doing. It was only back in 2016 that you were claiming they offer little to the Clonad/Park Ratheniska arrangement.

They are indeed doing great work.

Yes and it was true at the time and they have gotten off their arses and put in the work and look at their progress now.

A lesson for all clubs

Can I also have a job like yours Merman which gives me the time to scroll back and search for quotes of mine from 3 years ago?

clonadmad

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on September 23, 2019, 12:52:32 PM
Great to see PRT winning County hurling finals and hopefully they can build on the success in next year's intermediate grade.  Great exposure for young lads from that part of the county and the club is flying underage.
Felt sorry for young Fitzpatrick in the harps goals, some dreadful errors with give momentum to PRT. Good to see The Harps back competing in county finals too. There a strong hurling area with a great underage set up. They've reached another minor final so bound to feed into their adult set up.

Your heart would have to go out to young Fitzpatrick all right

The Harps are doing some work underage also,won the u11 A,Nailed on favorites to win the u13 A,competitive in the u15A and in the minor final where they will start outsiders against Abbeyleix/Ballinakill.

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on September 23, 2019, 01:32:10 PM
Quote from: Spiritof1915 on September 23, 2019, 12:52:32 PM

Your heart would have to go out to young Fitzpatrick all right

The Harps are doing some work underage also,won the u11 A,Nailed on favorites to win the u13 A,competitive in the u15A and in the minor final where they will start outsiders against Abbeyleix/Ballinakill.

Do you know why the Ballinakill lads were allowed to join the Abbeyleix team? That Abbeyleix team has cleaned up all the way up along, winning a lot of those leagues and championships at their ease. It seems strange to think that they were allowed to become stronger.

Spiritof1915

Ballinakills partnership with Park Ratheniska came to an end last year so they needed a new outlet for their players. They have about 8/9 lads who were on the Laois minor panel so their nialled on certs to win it out.
Very unfair on other teams especially The harps who once again will inevitably fall at the final hurdle to a  amalgamation.
Maybe the junior forum isn't the right place for it and as a blow in to the county myself I can t believe the amount of toxic amalgamations that are put in place from year to year. It seems a lot of clubs including our strongest senior clubs will get into bed with others for a bit of underage success.
Surely the bigger picture of developing players and bringing them through to adult level is the key factor.
Ballyhale play at C level at some underage grades but make player development their priority

clonadmad

It was Ballinakills wish to amalgamate with Abbeyleix this year at minor.It was going to be PRT's first year putting in a minor team and they were going to be in the B anyways.

Abbeyleix are probably strong enough to win the A on their own, very unfair on the Harps in particular.

Yet again the Juvenile County Board are asleep at the wheel.