Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on January 27, 2019, 08:30:28 PM
I forgot to say Kevin Tierney, What the f**k!!!

I didn't want to name him. But to bring on a player in that shape was shocking.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on January 27, 2019, 07:58:32 PM
It wasnt all bad.

We were in control in the 1st half but missed a hat load of very scorable chances, should have been 3 pts up at half time. 2nd half was very poor and then all the black cards came making it mission impossible really, a late rally made the score line look reasonable.

Few take aways.

- We do not look anywhere near fit. Killian Clarke looks to have weight on, maybe he was out injured. Lads were knackered at half time. What worries me is that Galway are not hectic at all. What will other teams do to us??
- Argue very disappointing, let the game pass him by
- Mackey only on for 5 mins. Ridiculous. He was badly needed in the 2nd half.
- Referee a joke. Gunners black was ridiculous, he didnt commit any black card offence. Galway man should have got a red for dangerous tackle on Galligan. Then this O Mahoney clown has form with Cavan as we know.
- Discipline poor. Clarkes black was really stupid by him at a key part of the game
- Thought Madden and Jack did well when in the FF line but then Madden was taken out of there. Made no sense.
- Biggest one is free takers. This is 2nd game I have seen and again missing frees that you cannot miss at this level. Surely Jack Brady is the man to take frees. We missed 3 gimme frees in my opinion.

I am not optimistic for our next two games I must say.
-

Martin Reilly black so harsh. Was going for ball.

But Killian Clarke left his man to go and do the player in possession. Madness.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 27, 2019, 08:54:20 PM

Even at that, he has two balls right into him and basically refused to go for them!

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on January 27, 2019, 09:01:24 PM

Even at that, he has two balls right into him and basically refused to go for them!

What was that about. He looked like a lad that was absolutely wrecked but he was only on the field 2 minutes.

Really hope Mickey is picking lads he sees something in and isn't looking at old U21 teamsheets.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Westside on January 27, 2019, 09:07:59 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 27, 2019, 09:01:24 PM

What was that about. He looked like a lad that was absolutely wrecked but he was only on the field 2 minutes.

Really hope Mickey is picking lads he sees something in and isn't looking at old U21 teamsheets.

The stuff I've heard last couple weeks does not fill me with confidence.

scoopmine

Galligan in goals was top class he really has come on in the position, Martin Reilly was top class but thought it was a black card similar to the galway one. Jack Brady good hands when he got the ball but got no service, Thomas Galligan I thought competed well in the air and looked the more senior midfielder with Argue not involved all game. Clarke had a tough job on Walsh and in the second half had a stormer ( Walsh that is). Madden good inside but tactics seemed to go in the second half.

Podge injured could be a huge loss. Mcvitty had the poorest game in a Cavan jersey I have seen him have. G is our biggest loss. We are not getting the best out of Brady. Need to settle on a freetaker. Mackey could have been done with earlier. Kevin Tierney looked overawed and coming back from injury. A mixed bag and as Micky said its going to get worse before it gets better!   

Itchy

Hard to be too optimistic about Sunday after what Kerry did to Tyrone last week, I think I would set up as follows...

Galligan

McLoughlin       Clarke          Gunner

Moynagh

Holla          Faulkner          Murray

Thomas Galligan        Argue

Mackey          Martin Reilly         McVeety

Madden             Jack Brady

I think you have to persevere with the 2 lads in midfield and let them grow into this level. You need Killian at FB and Faulkner at CB in my opinion. You need Mackey on the pitch and you need jack and Madden in the FF line

Jack or Mackey on frees on RHS, Martin Reilly on the left. Use the young lads as subs and give them a chance. We worked hard to get to Div 1 and we need to try hard to stay there so go out with a strong team at home and go for it, get stuck into the Kerry kids.

mrdeeds

TEAM NEWS: Senior Panel to play Kerry

Senior management have named the panel for this Sunday's Allianz Football League Round 2 game v Kerry. Throw in is 2.00pm in Kingspan Breffni.

The team sees two changes from last week in Galway as Christopher Conroy is named at corner back and Conor Bradley is included in the matchday panel.

Panel v Kerry
1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
3. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
4. Christopher Conroy (Lavey)
5. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
6. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
7. Conor Rehill (Crosserlough)
8. Michael Argue (Bailieborough)
9. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
10. Pierce Smith (Crosserlough)
11. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
12. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
13. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
14. Thomas Galligan (Lacken)
15. Conor Madden (Gowna)

16. Liam Brady (Ramor United)
17. Barry Fortune (Cavan Gaels)
18. Stephen Murray (Cavan Gaels)
19. Paul Graham (Cavan Gaels)
20. Stephen Smith (Crosserlough)
21. Luke Fortune (Cavan Gaels)
22. Killian Brady (Mullahoran)
23. Conor Bradley (Ramor United)
24. Oisin Pierson (Gowna)
25. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
26. Kevin Tierney (Ballyhaise)

http://cavangaa.ie/2019/02/cavan-panel-play-kerry/

Was expecting to see more changes.

Westside

I'm happy enough with the team named. What's the story with Moynagh?..

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on February 02, 2019, 01:07:50 PM

He was away somewhere last week but I believe came back this week so assume he may be available?

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on February 02, 2019, 01:12:34 PM
Quote from: Westside on February 02, 2019, 01:07:50 PM

He was away somewhere last week but I believe came back this week so assume he may be available?

Maybe. I don't think Gunner is available.

Westside

What's the verdict lads? Didn't make it down but 2 points in the second half isn't going to win you games.

Itchy

Well there were a lot of positives despite what the numpties in hoganstand are saying. We played some great football in the 1st half and I thought we got some great performances from McVitty, Holla, Faulkner, Madden and Clarke. We probably should have been a few more in front but a fussy referee kept Kerry in it. There were a few turning points

1- A freakish display of free taking from from Sean o shea. Into the breeze, left or right and anywhere from 45m out and everyone of them over the bar
2 - The opposite of Kerry our frees again were poor. Martin Reilly made a mess of 2 in the 2nd half, Galligan missed 2. Cost us the game.
3 - If you gave Peter Keane a magic wand at half time and told him he could disappear two of our players he would have said McVitty and Holla, and both got injured. Terrible bad luck
4 - The strength in depth of Kerry. They could bring on Tommy Walsh, David Moran, Griffin etc. Really turned the game
5- Conditioning. We are miles behind, especially our new young lads. When Kerry agressively pushed up in the 2nd half we really just could not break through their lines and they smothered us and got some awful scores (from our perspective)

That said I was impressed with Thomas Galligan, he really took the game to Kerry. He was getting lots of abuse but just got on with it and in the last minutes when we were looking for leaders he was the one who took the ball on a lung busting run straight at Kerrys defence.

We will probably go down but f**k it the lads are competing strongly and I'd rather we were doing that in Div 1 than playing shit football against Fermanagh and Meath in Div 2. It was an enjoyable game, lots of good scores and big hits. We really need Holla and McVitty for next Saturday in Mayo.

Itchy

What was the story with Chris Conroy. Named at corner back, then isnt even on the panel and replaced on the bench by Clerkin? Very odd. Also, no Moynagh named on panel this week and was named to start last week.

Westside

The freetaking is a serious issue. All the seasoned Division 1 teams have consistent freetakers. Galligan only scores a small percentage of his kicks and I think the extra time for him coming up along with the misses wastes time and saps morale.